Filmmaker Who Targeted ACORN Arrested in Alleged Senate Phone Scheme

Er, Excuse me?

What does that say there?

"NEW ORLEANS—JOSEPH BASEL, age 24; ROBERT FLANAGAN, age 24; JAMES O’KEEFE, age 25; and STAN DAI, age 24, were charged in a criminal complaint with entering federal property under false pretenses for the purpose of committing a felony, announced the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Louisiana."

"If convicted, FLANAGAN, BASEL, O’KEEFE, and DAI each face a maximum term of 10 years in prison, a fine of $250,000, and three (3) years of supervised release following any term of imprisonment."

Federal Bureau of Investigation - The New Orleans Division: Department of Justice Press Release

Read the actual citation. It specifically says aiding and abetting for O'Keefe..... He is officially charged as an accomplice. He'll walk with a slap on the wrist.
He's charged with - according to the FBI - with entering federal property under false pretenses for the purpose of committing a felony, announced the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Louisiana."

That's a felony trespass charge, no matter how you slice it.

OK, don't read it. Believe whatever you want.

Read the actual citation. It specifically says aiding and abetting for O'Keefe..... He is officially charged as an accomplice. He'll walk with a slap on the wrist.
He's charged with - according to the FBI - with entering federal property under false pretenses for the purpose of committing a felony, announced the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Louisiana."

That's a felony trespass charge, no matter how you slice it.

OK, don't read it. Believe whatever you want.
I read it the day it came out, and again a few days ago.

That's the Affidavit from the FBI agent.

The CHARGE is stated on the F - B - I page.

Are you disregarding what you see there?

Four Men Arrested for Entering Government Property Under False Pretenses for the Purpose of Committing a Felony

"NEW ORLEANS—JOSEPH BASEL, age 24; ROBERT FLANAGAN, age 24; JAMES O’KEEFE, age 25; and STAN DAI, age 24, were charged in a criminal complaint with entering federal property under false pretenses for the purpose of committing a felony, announced the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Louisiana."

"If convicted, FLANAGAN, BASEL, O’KEEFE, and DAI each face a maximum term of 10 years in prison, a fine of $250,000, and three (3) years of supervised release following any term of imprisonment."

Federal Bureau of Investigation - The New Orleans Division: Department of Justice Press Release

Four Men Arrested for Entering Government Property Under False Pretenses for the Purpose of Committing a Felony

NEW ORLEANS—JOSEPH BASEL, age 24; ROBERT FLANAGAN, age 24; JAMES O’KEEFE, age 25; and STAN DAI, age 24, were charged in a criminal complaint with entering federal property under false pretenses for the purpose of committing a felony, announced the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Louisiana.

According to the complaint, which was unsealed earlier today, the arrest of FLANAGAN, BASEL, O’KEEFE, and DAI took place after BASEL and O’KEEFE attempted to gain access to the New Orleans office of United States Senator Mary Landrieu on January 25, 2010, while posing as telephone repairmen. According to the complaint, FLANAGAN and BASEL were each dressed in blue denim pants, blue work shirts, light green fluorescent vests, tool belts, and construction-style hard hats when they entered the Hale Boggs Federal Building, located at 500 Poydras Street, New Orleans, Louisiana 70130. Once in the building, FLANAGAN and BASEL sought access to the offices of Senator Landrieu. O’KEEFE was already present in the office, holding a cellular phone so as to record FLANAGAN and BASEL. Once inside Senator Landrieu’s reception area, FLANAGAN and BASEL told a member of Senator Landrieu’s staff that they were telephone repairmen, and they requested access to the main telephone at the reception desk. FLANAGAN and BASEL then manipulated the telephone system. FLANAGAN and BASEL next requested access to the telephone closet because they needed to perform work on the main telephone system. They were directed to the main office of the United States General Services Administration, also inside the Hale Boggs Federal Building, where they again represented themselves to be employees of the telephone company and stated that they needed to perform repair work in the telephone closet. Both FLANAGAN and BASEL stated that they had left their credentials in their vehicle. In addition, the complaint alleges that O’KEEFE and DAI assisted FLANAGAN and BASEL in the planning, coordination, and preparation of the operation. The men were apprehended by the United States Marshal’s Service soon thereafter.

If convicted, FLANAGAN, BASEL, O’KEEFE, and DAI each face a maximum term of 10 years in prison, a fine of $250,000, and three (3) years of supervised release following any term of imprisonment.

The United States Attorney’s Office reiterated that the complaint is merely a charge and that the guilt of the defendant must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

The investigation is being conducted by Special Agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Deputy Marshals with the United States Marshal’s Service. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Jordan Ginsberg.

The really amazing thing here is the misrepresentation of what happened, and by Who. Yes there are real charges here, and potential charges here. That is Not being disputed. Get Your facts straight and base Your Accusations on the Fact's. Stop arguing apples and oranges. O'Keefe was Not dresses as a phone company employee. Read The Official Complaint before making false assumptions. The Potential and what actually will be in the end may not be what You think. The back peddling has already started. Was harm the intent? If not what was it that they were trying to do? Does it even make a difference. Yes. The argument is not that Laws were broken, but which Law's, and by Who, and Which will actually go to Trial.

... Get Your facts straight and base Your Accusations on the Fact's. Stop arguing apples and oranges. O'Keefe was Not dresses as a phone company employee. Read The Official Complaint before making false assumptions. The Potential and what actually will be in the end may not be what You think. The back peddling has already started. Was harm the intent? If not what was it that they were trying to do? Does it even make a difference. Yes. The argument is not that Laws were broken, but which Law's, and by Who, and Which will actually go to Trial.

Read your own link:

"...O’KEEFE attempted to gain access to the New Orleans office of United States Senator Mary Landrieu on January 25, 2010, while posing as telephone repairmen."

O'Keefe already admitted to wearing a telephone repairman outfit.

STOP LYING.

... Get Your facts straight and base Your Accusations on the Fact's. Stop arguing apples and oranges. O'Keefe was Not dresses as a phone company employee. Read The Official Complaint before making false assumptions. The Potential and what actually will be in the end may not be what You think. The back peddling has already started. Was harm the intent? If not what was it that they were trying to do? Does it even make a difference. Yes. The argument is not that Laws were broken, but which Law's, and by Who, and Which will actually go to Trial.

Read your own link:

"...O’KEEFE attempted to gain access to the New Orleans office of United States Senator Mary Landrieu on January 25, 2010, while posing as telephone repairmen."

STOP LYING.

Have You ever considered that it was misreported? Read the Official Complaint from the Link We both provided. It is clearly stated in detail. I question the statement you refer to, and challenge it. The Truth is in the details PPV.

I was involved with Anti-Nuke stuff in the Eighties. The Courts were extremely Lenient, Both Federal and State. These were large organized protests, what O'Keefe was doing, if I understand it at all, I don't condone, be it Left or Right, where there is no real harm done, I support Due Process and Leniency. You All need to get the facts straight about who did what. I suspect the first claims were exaggerated, and clouded. Thats why the story is now in limbo. He was the camera man, not either of the main players.

Read your own link:

STOP LYING.

Have You ever considered that it was misreported? Read the Official Complaint from the Link We both provided. It is clearly stated in detail. I question the statement you refer to, and challenge it. The Truth is in the details PPV.

I was involved with Anti-Nuke stuff in the Eighties. The Courts were extremely Lenient, Both Federal and State. These were large organized protests, what O'Keefe was doing, if I understand it at all, I don't condone, be it Left or Right, where there is no real harm done, I support Due Process and Leniency. You All need to get the facts straight about who did what. I suspect the first claims were exaggerated, and clouded. Thats why the story is now in limbo. He was the camera man, not either of the main players.
Intense: The fact you cling to the story you WANT it to be tells me you know little about something you tell others to "get their facts straight" on.

Now you're going so far as to say the FBI is not reporting it correctly.

You could not have even heard O'Keefe's interview with Hannity.

GET THIS: O'Keefe ADMITTED he was wearing a telephone repair outfit.

The story is "in limbo" because they are awaiting a preliminary hearing. That should be happening this Friday, Feb 12. Until justice moves, there's not much more to report other than chatter.

From 1/26/10

NEW ORLEANS — A hero of conservatives who bruised the liberal group ACORN by posing as a pimp on hidden camera is now accused in an attempt to tamper with phone lines at Democratic U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu's office inside a federal building.

It's not clear what James O'Keefe, 25, and three other young conservatives were trying to accomplish Monday at the New Orleans office of Landrieu, who has been criticized for securing more Medicaid benefits for her state in exchange for her support on health care legislation.

State Democrats quickly called the alleged plot a "Louisiana Watergate," but federal officials have not yet said why the men wanted to interfere with Landrieu's phones, whether they were successful, or even if the goal was political espionage.

A staff member in the office told the FBI that two of the suspects, including the son of an acting U.S. Attorney, wore white hard harts, tool belts and flourescent vests and said they needed to fix a problem with the phone system.

According to an FBI affidavit, O'Keefe was already sitting in the waiting area and recorded the men on his cell phone when they walked in.

A federal law enforcement official said one of the suspects was picked up in a car a couple of blocks away with a listening device that could pick up transmissions. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the information was not part of the FBI affidavit.

O'Keefe said only "veritas," Latin for truth, as he left jail Tuesday with suspects Stan Dai and Joseph Basel, both 24. All declined to comment.

As he got into a cab outside the jail, O'Keefe said, "The truth shall set me free."

Story continues below The fourth suspect, Robert Flanagan, 24, was released earlier Tuesday. His father, Bill, is the acting U.S. Attorney based in Shreveport. He was first assistant under Republican President George W. Bush appointee Donald Washington before Washington stepped down this month. President Barack Obama recently nominated Stephanie A. Finley for the post. His father's office declined to comment.

All four suspects were charged with entering federal property under false pretenses for the purpose of committing a felony, which carries a penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Flanagan is the only suspect from Louisiana. Basel is from Minnesota; O'Keefe, New Jersey; and Dai, the D.C.-Virginia area.

"It was poor judgment," Flanagan's lawyer, Garrison Jordan, said in a brief interview outside the courtroom. "I don't think there was any intent or motive to commit a crime."

Flanagan recently criticized Landrieu for her vote on the Senate health care bill after securing a Medicaid provision estimated in value at up to $365 million for Louisiana. Conservatives accused her of selling her vote but she insisted no "special deals" were made.

"Do not be fooled into believing Landrieu is helping the state of Louisiana," Flanagan wrote in a Nov. 25 post on the Web site for the Pelican Institute, a Louisiana think tank that promotes the free market and limited government. "If the proposed healthcare legislation were to be signed into law, the $300 million allocated to Louisiana will pale in comparison to the long-term debt Louisiana citizens will ultimately shoulder."

Dai, who authorities said was arrested outside the building, is a former assistant director of a program at Trinity Washington University that taught students about careers in intelligence, university president Patricia McGuire said.

The program was part of a national effort following the Sept. 11 attacks to interest students at liberal arts colleges in careers as spies. McGuire said Dai was an administrator and that the program did not teach spy craft. He was also active in the conservative newspaper and other organizations at George Washington University.

O'Keefe and Basel were also active in conservative publications at their respective colleges, Rutgers University and the University of Minnesota-Morris. They gave a joint interview Jan. 14 to CampusReform.org, a Web site that supports college conservatives on student publications.

The allegations quickly prompted outrage from Democrats and claims of vindication at ACORN, which lost its affiliation with the U.S. Census Bureau and federal funding after the uproar over O'Keefe's videos.

Landrieu, who was in Washington at the time, said in a statement Tuesday that the plot was "unsettling" for her and her staff. She said she looked forward to the investigation to learn their motives.

O'Keefe's arrest "is further evidence of his disregard for the law in pursuit of his extremist agenda," ACORN CEO Bertha Lewis said in a statement. The organization's Twitter feed commented on the news: "Couldn't have happened to a more deserving soul."

O'Keefe managed to do what Republicans had been trying to for years: hurt the political affiliates of ACORN, which have registered hundreds of thousands of voters in urban and other poor areas of the country.

Using a hidden camera, O'Keefe, posing as a pimp and accompanied by a young woman posing as a prostitute, shot videos in ACORN offices where staffers appeared to offer illegal tax advice and to support the misuse of public funds and illegal trafficking in children.

The videos were first posted on biggovernment.com, a site run by conservative Andrew Breitbart. In the past, Breitbart has said O'Keefe – now a paid contributor to biggovernment.com – is an independent filmmaker, not an employee.

In a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press, Breitbart said: "We have no knowledge about or connection to any alleged acts and events involving James O'Keefe at Senator Mary Landrieu's office. We only just learned about the alleged incident this afternoon. We have no information other than what has been reported publicly by the press. Accordingly, we simply are not in a position to make any further comment."

O'Keefe's father, James O'Keefe, Jr., of Westwood, N.J., said he hasn't spoken to his son in several days and didn't know he traveled to New Orleans, let alone why he went to Landrieu's office.

"That would not be something that I can even imagine him doing," he said of the allegations against his son. "I think this is going to be blown out of proportion."

O'Keefe said his son travels frequently for speaking engagements.

"He's a good kid," he said. "He's a very talented, very creative creative guy."

___

Associated Press Writers Brett J. Blackledge and Kevin McGill in New Orleans, Pete Yost in Washington, Justin Pritchard in Los Angeles and Ben Nuckols in Baltimore contributed to this report.

James O'Keefe ARRESTED In Mary Landrieu Phone Scheme, 3 Others Also Charged

Last edited:
You're just reposting crap that has been read and reread over again.

Are you still trying to maintain he wasn't dressed a telephone repairman?

REallY??

Pretty sad you can't even avail yourself to THE MAN'S OWN WORDS:
HANNITY: Yes, but — all right. But did you dress up as a repair guy?
O'KEEFE: Yes.
HANNITY: You did?
O'KEEFE: We did, yes.
James O'Keefe Gives First Interview Since Arrest - Hannity - FOXNews.com

Now hurry. Think quick!

A person had to go to the right wing talking heads to get the ACORN scandle....that's what I'm talking about.
There have been several days of the film maker in the MSM....that's what I'm talking about.
It's alright Vast, I know exactly where your coming from.

The O'Keefe ACORN video was ALL OVER the media when the story broke. SO much so that ACORN lost their funding a few days later.

You really need to stop getting your information from right-wing talking heads. They're lying to you.

And there was one day of coverage by the rest of the media on the O'Keefe arrest. That's it, one day.

The rest of the coverage has been by right-wing media, talking about various ways in which they think he's innocent, and then a couple of left-wing talking heads responding to these comments. It's people like Rush Limbaugh who are keeping this story alive.

Direct from the FBI Affidavit:

Based on the above information you affiant believes that there is probable cause to believe that Flanagan and Basal by false and fraudulent pretense attempted to enter and did in fact enter, Real property belonging to the United States for the purpose of willfully and maliciously interfering with a telephone system operated and controlled by the United States of America. Your afficant further believes that Flanagan and Basal were aided and abetted by O'Keefe and Dai to commit the entry for the purpose of interfering with the telephone system on January 25, 2010, all in violation of United States code, sections, 1036, 1362 and 2.

Steven Rayes
Special Agent
FBI

Sworn to before me and subscribed to in my presence, at New Orleans Louisiana, on this 25th day of January , 2010.

Daniel E. Knowles III
United States Magistrate Judge

Now that is simply the last paragraph The FBI on the scene says O'Keefe aided and abetted. Going to be real hard to make any other charge stick.

A person had to go to the right wing talking heads to get the ACORN scandle....that's what I'm talking about.
There have been several days of the film maker in the MSM....that's what I'm talking about.
It's alright Vast, I know exactly where your coming from.

The O'Keefe ACORN video was ALL OVER the media when the story broke. SO much so that ACORN lost their funding a few days later.

You really need to stop getting your information from right-wing talking heads. They're lying to you.

And there was one day of coverage by the rest of the media on the O'Keefe arrest. That's it, one day.

The rest of the coverage has been by right-wing media, talking about various ways in which they think he's innocent, and then a couple of left-wing talking heads responding to these comments. It's people like Rush Limbaugh who are keeping this story alive.

Too bad you again show your ignorance. It WAS the right wing media that picked up and aired the ACORN scandal. After a week,,,,,the rest of the media was shamed into airing it. Once again you need to go to the "right wing" news source to get a story that MSM is just too afraid to touch.
Yet, within in 24 hours all the MSM were all over the story of the bust in the fed building. I have to laugh at you and the left wing media again showing how bias they really are.

CBS and NBC Finally Catch Up to ACORN Scandal; Express Sympathy for the Left-Wing Group
In the first story on CBS since the scandal broke last week, on Tuesday’s Evening News, anchor Katie Couric reported: "The grassroots community organization called ACORN helps low-income Americans find affordable housing and gets tens of millions of dollars in government funding. But as Cynthia Bowers reports, that may be coming to an end after a scandal caught on tape."
NBC did not get to the ACORN story on Tuesday’s Nightly News, but did cover the scandal on Wednesday’s Today

CBS and NBC Finally Catch Up to ACORN Scandal; Express Sympathy for the Left-Wing Group | NewsBusters.org

Last edited:
Direct from the FBI Affidavit:

Based on the above information you affiant believes that there is probable cause to believe that Flanagan and Basal by false and fraudulent pretense attempted to enter and did in fact enter, Real property belonging to the United States for the purpose of willfully and maliciously interfering with a telephone system operated and controlled by the United States of America. Your afficant further believes that Flanagan and Basal were aided and abetted by O'Keefe and Dai to commit the entry for the purpose of interfering with the telephone system on January 25, 2010, all in violation of United States code, sections, 1036, 1362 and 2.

Steven Rayes
Special Agent
FBI

Sworn to before me and subscribed to in my presence, at New Orleans Louisiana, on this 25th day of January , 2010.

Daniel E. Knowles III
United States Magistrate Judge

Now that is simply the last paragraph The FBI on the scene says O'Keefe aided and abetted. Going to be real hard to make any other charge stick.

Yes, but he also said the group was in fact attempting to tamper with the phone lines.

Too bad you again show your ignorance. It WAS the right wing media that picked up and aired the ACORN scandal. After a week,,,,,the rest of the media was shamed into airing it. Once again you need to go to the "right wing" news source to get a story that MSM is just too afraid to touch.

Utter crap.

Again, you are clearly mis-informed.

Mr O'Keefe's video were first aired on a Drudge Spin-off website. Glenn Beck was given the videos and showed them on his OPINION show. As you people always are quick to point out, opinion shows are not news shows, thus airing the tapes on opinion shows, where their veracity does not need to be verified, is not "Covering them" as news.

In fact, several of the tapes held false information that FoxNews' opinion shows ran with, like the woman in California who supposedly killed her ex-husband, and it was later discovered that all her ex-husbands were alive and well, or the fact that the same woman went directly to the police after the video took place.

ACTUAL NEWS SHOWS verified the evidence first and vetted the tapes before showing them as news stories. When the infromation was processed, FoxNews' NEWS shows and the rest of the media showed the story at about the same time.

Personally, I have no love for the media at all, with special disdain for extremist outlets like MSNBC and FoxNews. Showing innacurate information on an opinion show does not count as "Coverage", unless you are now claiming that Glenn Beck is supposed to be a "News" show?

Yet, within in 24 hours all the MSM were all over the story of the bust in the fed building. I have to laugh at you and the left wing media again showing how bias they really are.

CBS and NBC Finally Catch Up to ACORN Scandal; Express Sympathy for the Left-Wing Group
In the first story on CBS since the scandal broke last week, on Tuesday’s Evening News, anchor Katie Couric reported: "The grassroots community organization called ACORN helps low-income Americans find affordable housing and gets tens of millions of dollars in government funding. But as Cynthia Bowers reports, that may be coming to an end after a scandal caught on tape."
NBC did not get to the ACORN story on Tuesday’s Nightly News, but did cover the scandal on Wednesday’s Today

CBS and NBC Finally Catch Up to ACORN Scandal; Express Sympathy for the Left-Wing Group | NewsBusters.org

The O'Keefe arrest story broke quickly because he was now a famous individual, and the arrest was made by a verifiable law enforcement organization. Thus it could be run as a factual news story.

As far as "NewsBusters" is concerned, are you fucking kidding me? An opinion piece from a far-right wing website is your "proof". LOL.

Utter crap.

Again, you are clearly mis-informed.

Mr O'Keefe's video were first aired on a Drudge Spin-off website. Glenn Beck was given the videos and showed them on his OPINION show. As you people always are quick to point out, opinion shows are not news shows, thus airing the tapes on opinion shows, where their veracity does not need to be verified, is not "Covering them" as news.

In fact, several of the tapes held false information that FoxNews' opinion shows ran with, like the woman in California who supposedly killed her ex-husband, and it was later discovered that all her ex-husbands were alive and well, or the fact that the same woman went directly to the police after the video took place.

ACTUAL NEWS SHOWS verified the evidence first and vetted the tapes before showing them as news stories. When the infromation was processed, FoxNews' NEWS shows and the rest of the media showed the story at about the same time.

Personally, I have no love for the media at all, with special disdain for extremist outlets like MSNBC and FoxNews. Showing innacurate information on an opinion show does not count as "Coverage", unless you are now claiming that Glenn Beck is supposed to be a "News" show?

The O'Keefe arrest story broke quickly because he was now a famous individual, and the arrest was made by a verifiable law enforcement organization. Thus it could be run as a factual news story.

As far as "NewsBusters" is concerned, are you fucking kidding me? An opinion piece from a far-right wing website is your "proof". LOL.

Why don't you google a link for me, to show that Newsbusters was wrong? I know why you won't....you can't. :lol:
I'm sure it takes a week to vet a story....but less than 24 hours to vet the second story. :lol:

REallY??

Now hurry. Think quick!

Silly Human. :lol::lol::lol:

We , meaning the Participants in the Action, two of Them to be specific, not including O'Keefe. You are really being silly about this. Answer Me why two people were charged with wearing the Uniforms and O'Keefe specifically wasn't? Does this make any sense to You?

REallY??

Now hurry. Think quick!

Silly Human. :lol::lol::lol:

We , meaning the Participants in the Action, two of Them to be specific, not including O'Keefe. You are really being silly about this. Answer Me why two people were charged with wearing the Uniforms and O'Keefe specifically wasn't? Does this make any sense to You?
God you're fucking dense.

He even says later in the interview:

O'KEEFE: "...We — in all the videos I do we — I pose as something I'm not to try to get to the bottom of the truth about — the truth about why they weren't answering their phones or their intention behind not answering the phones."

I can't believe you keep trying to spin it as if he wasn't falsely presenting himself and used a fake telephone repair outfit.

It's just getting pathetic now.

Forum List

Back