Filibuster Debate

So when the Republicans regain the Senate the rule should stay the same if the dems change it? Or is that different?

As most of us have said (not that you listen to anything).

We are willing to take this risk.

And, the republicans will probably have a hard time getting the Senate back again. The house is a different story.

EVERYTHING is cyclical.

Repub control will come around again despite what the Left says (which they say EVERYTIME they win an election).

Symptommatic of the low quality of people this country breeds now days.

We want to do what we want to do, and we are tired of people standing in our way.

Change the rules!!!

Never mind that if what you propose was good, your argument would sway enough people to back your idea.

Pathetic.

That condemnation of arbitrary abuse of the rules should also apply to the blanket filibuster the republicans have thrown over the senate if you had any interest in fairness. Just keep remembering that this is a reaction to continuing and prolonged abuse of senate rules, not something that came out of nowhere.

We want to do what we want to do, and we are tired of people standing in our way.

Change the rules!!!

Never mind that if what you propose was good, your argument would sway enough people to back your idea.

Pathetic.

That condemnation of arbitrary abuse of the rules should also apply to the blanket filibuster the republicans have thrown over the senate if you had any interest in fairness. Just keep remembering that this is a reaction to continuing and prolonged abuse of senate rules, not something that came out of nowhere.
When did 'using Senate rules' suddenly become abuse?

I heard no such talk of abused Senate Rules when the Democrats were filibustering everything in sight.

This is just more childish whine.

How about Democrats and Republicans get their asses to work , come up with legislation that they both dislike equally and hopefully get this country moving in the right direction..

I believe the threat of losing their perks should somehow be held over their heads...

I know, this is just silly talk..:lol:

Mcconnell had a good idea. Return the Senate to the earlier tactic to where Senators had to hold the floor to prevent business from moving forward.

If Reid wants to defeat filibusters, McConnell suggested, he should “use the fatigue factor to grind down opposition” by forcing senators who were filibustering motions or bills to stay on the Senate floor and keep speaking.

While its an unbelieveably bad idea to have such a thing, make the Senators physically hold the floor. The practice has been out of favor recently. Id like to see McCain speak for 55 hours just to prevent Rice's nomination coming to a vote. It also would be a civics lesson on obstructionism.
AGREED!!!!

Up-to-now, (just) the Republican-threat of filibuster has prompted the Dems to back-down.

Lets' SEE those old-fart Republicans filibuster.....without a Depends-break!!!!!!

yahoo.gif

Mcconnell had a good idea. Return the Senate to the earlier tactic to where Senators had to hold the floor to prevent business from moving forward.

If Reid wants to defeat filibusters, McConnell suggested, he should “use the fatigue factor to grind down opposition” by forcing senators who were filibustering motions or bills to stay on the Senate floor and keep speaking.

While its an unbelieveably bad idea to have such a thing, make the Senators physically hold the floor. The practice has been out of favor recently. Id like to see McCain speak for 55 hours just to prevent Rice's nomination coming to a vote. It also would be a civics lesson on obstructionism.

So when the Republicans regain the Senate the rule should stay the same if the dems change it? Or is that different?

It's ALWAYS "different" for Republicans.

handjob.gif

Change the rules!!!

Pathetic.

When did 'using Senate rules' suddenly become abuse?

I heard no such talk of abused Senate Rules when the Democrats were filibustering everything in sight.

This is just more childish whine.

Apples to oranges, the democratic minority filibustered things to be sure but they did not filibuster everything in sight as republicans actually are, you have only to check the dramatic rise in their numbers after 2006 to realize that. 2005-2006 saw 34, 2007-2008 it was 139.

Reid should make them actually filibuster and also change the rule to 40 votes are needed to maintain a filibuster, not 60 to break it.

Can you explain what the difference is? Of course you can't, because there isn't one, and you are a complete idiot.

the gap between what you think you know...

and what you actually know....

is extraordinary.

Change the rules!!!

Pathetic.

If that is true what was it 7 years ago?

If the Republicans again play the obstruction card, they will lose the House in 2014 and maybe lose a couple of more Senators. The voters got it, at least those who were watching and listening and they expressed themselves clearly on Nov 6th. The Congress is broken and if the Democrats learned from their last experience they will not overreach.

The Republicans are still top heavy with radicals and I doubt the House can move beyond gridlock; with Rand Paul in the Senate, I expect the next two years will be much like the past. If the Democrats play their cards well and allow the Republicans enough rope they will hang themselves. Americans don't much like the radical fringe.

Change the rules!!!

Pathetic.

If that is true what was it 7 years ago?

Just starting to get out of hand, the Senate still could pass things that everyone could agree with, now they are obstructing things they used to like and no one could reasonably object to out of sheer spite.

I want the filibuster rights eliminated. Set maximum time, and enforce it. Discuss, then vote. Get to the question on the table and settle it; without games.

You folks just can't get enough of fucking with the Constitution, can you? From the IRS and Federal Reserve to the direct election of Senators, you think you know better than the EDUCATED men who put this deal together.

You're a fucking RETARD Burt, go play with Ernie and leave the adults alone!

You know, the Republicans wanted to eliminate the filibuster when THEY held the power back in 2005. Their proposal was IDENTICAL to what the Democrats are proposing now. All of the Democrats lined up to argue against such a blatant power grab, and they were very eloquent in their defense of the status quo. Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, Harry Reid, they ALL spoke out forcefully to castigate the Republicans for their unConstitutional proposal.

And now they're all in favor of it...

Go figure.

Exactly. And the Democrats vociferously opposed the rule change. Including Harry Reid.

The stench of hypocrisy in both parties is unbearable.

I believe Strom Thurmond has the record for a filibuster. He did it to oppose a civil rights bill. He was a Democrat at the time, and became a Republican leader and hero later.

I forget how long he went, but I do recall he had a piss bucket brought to the Senate building and placed just off the Senate chamber in the cloakroom so he could have one foot in the Senate chamber, and one foot in the cloakroom while he took a piss without breaking his filibuster.

True story.

Last edited:
It would be nice if Obama was required to hold a 3hr. press conference each week..

..also if the leadership in the Congress was required to do the same..

:offtopic:... but it would be nice to hold their feet to the fire and also know what the hell their up to..

I would settle for once a month.

I guess the daily WH press briefing is not good enough? No one pays attention to them as it is. The value of a press conference is pretty dubious when the press is only looking for out of context sound bites rather than an honest exploration of policy. Journalistic integrity is dead, cable news killed it, so fuckem. They can subsist on the thin gruel of press releases until they remember what they are supposed to do.

I am pretty sure Obama doesn't conduct the daily press briefing, idiot, which is the point here.

Change the rules!!!

Pathetic.

Keep telling yourself that.

The 60 vote filibuster rule is the last constraint we have on whimsical mob rule, something the Founders were sagely aware of. As the saying goes, "Be careful of what you wish for."

The filibuster was invented and contrived. In the old days you had to hold the floor. Now you just threaten one. I say keep the rules for cloture the same but follow Senator Mcconnell's rec of forcing the Senator to keep talking until they quit or the opposition gets the votes for cloture.

Reid should make them actually filibuster and also change the rule to 40 votes are needed to maintain a filibuster, not 60 to break it.

Can you explain what the difference is? Of course you can't, because there isn't one, and you are a complete idiot.

the gap between what you think you know...

and what you actually know....

is extraordinary.

I made that clear in the very first post I made on this forum. Why did it take you this long to catch up?

The 60 vote filibuster rule is the last constraint we have on whimsical mob rule, something the Founders were sagely aware of. As the saying goes, "Be careful of what you wish for."

No way should we let them change any rules,not these guys.

Forum List

Back