CDZ Feminism/anti-sexism gone too far or appropriately applied....

I mean it's kind of ironic. Women are regarded as nagging a lot over unimportant crap and it sure looks like this is what happened. I mean, who the hell cares? Playing the victim has become very advantageous indeed.

Let's see if I have this right. There are hundreds of millions of women in the Islam world living lives as second-class citizens as codified in the legal system they follow. The horrible practice of female genital mutilation is endemic to huge swaths of area in the Islamic world. Women are groomed from the time they are children to wear slave clothing that covers them from head to toe and need to fear for their lives if they look at the wrong boy or show a tiny patch of forbidden skin.

Am I to understand that it is the naming of hurricanes that is the real problem, especially inasmuch as the very people who get all worked up about that are the very same that like to call people names if they dare to object to the rampant Islamic misogyny?

Pretty sure you're the only one saying that.

What do you think re: the following:
  • Was it sexist in both intent and practice to assign only female names to hurricanes?
  • Did the practice of giving hurricanes male names as well as female names in some way -- great or small -- help mitigate sexism's perpetuation in the U.S?
  • What's in a name? Are individuals any more or less well called or hearkened by dint of their name? Is one's character different by dint of their name?
  • What makes a name be a male or female name? (Scottie Hughes; Stevie Nicks; Evelyn Waugh; Glenn Close; Carroll O'Connor; Sean Young) What about folks whose given name is a family surname? (Anderson Cooper; Cooper Anderson) Gender/sex has nothing to do with their given name.

How sexist is it to say mother nature? We mean the same thing when there is some disaster. I wasn't in on the conversation so I am skeptical. Ships, automobiles, countries.....are often "female".

I find it interesting that hurricanes and winter storms get names, yet significant thunderstorms (even those producing significant numbers of tornadoes) do not. I wonder... why is that? Is it due to overall strength of the storm? Nah, couldn't be, otherwise we would have major thunderstorms named as well. Sheer number of people it is likely to affect? This could be, ever heard of a hurricane or winter stormed named that had no chance of impacting a major population base (AKA major city)? I especially refer to named winter storms that have impacted the northeast in recent years. This strength of storm is actually quite common in some parts of the hemisphere, yet they get no attention whatsoever, unless of course a year passes without them.... Then it's global warming...

Maybe there's an answer to your opening question here: Why are hurricanes the only storms that get a name? - CNN.com . I don't know; I didn't read the article.
Not really, only one passage that furthers my postulation that it has to do with the number of people likely to be affected. Otherwise, it really doesn't answer the question directly.

I find it interesting that hurricanes and winter storms get names, yet significant thunderstorms (even those producing significant numbers of tornadoes) do not. I wonder... why is that? Is it due to overall strength of the storm? Nah, couldn't be, otherwise we would have major thunderstorms named as well. Sheer number of people it is likely to affect? This could be, ever heard of a hurricane or winter stormed named that had no chance of impacting a major population base (AKA major city)? I especially refer to named winter storms that have impacted the northeast in recent years. This strength of storm is actually quite common in some parts of the hemisphere, yet they get no attention whatsoever, unless of course a year passes without them.... Then it's global warming...

Maybe there's an answer to your opening question here: Why are hurricanes the only storms that get a name? - CNN.com . I don't know; I didn't read the article.
Not really, only one passage that furthers my postulation that it has to do with the number of people likely to be affected. Otherwise, it really doesn't answer the question directly.

Okay. TY for the update.

BTW, was there anything there that refuted your postulated idea? Postulates need to be examined from both sides, right?

Okay. TY for the update.

BTW, was there anything there that refuted your postulated idea? Postulates need to be examined from both sides, right?
No, there was not. It was not all that well written, or researched in my opinion though. So there may, indeed, be a refutation out there, I just have not come across it yet.

Forum List

Back