Feminism and Governor Palin

The left continues to put Palin in the spotlight.

All she's doing is going about her business, and responding.

First I would like to know if or why conservatives feel Governor Palin is a feminist icon?

Has Gov. Palin taken any feminist stances in politics or society?

Is it because she was nominated as a Vice Presidential candidate? If that is so, why? Just because a woman is nominated as a VP candidate does not necessarily make her a feminist.

Is it because she is a state governor? If that is so, why and how?

What else makes her a feminist advocate?

Why do you believe the media attacks on Gov. Palin sexist? Have they attacked her gender, her motherhood, or her feminist stances on politics or society? Or is it that any attack against Gov. Palin are regarded as sexist?

How do you reconcile conservative traditionalism and feminism? A woman, traditionally, is supposed to maintain the household, bear children, and support her husband. Having the choice to have an abortion is regarded as an important right for a woman, so taking a position against a woman's right to choose would be arguing against a woman's right to her body and a woman's right to her privacy.

1.) There is no one today that I consider a feminist icon.
2.) RealClearPolitics - Articles - A Feminist's Argument for McCain's VP
3.) See above.
4.) See above.
5.) See above.
6.) Hanna Rosin--who has covered religion and politics for the Washington Post, and has also written for the New Yorker, the New Republic, and the New York Times--lamented in a piece for Slate: "So cavalier are conservatives about Sarah Palin's wreck of a home life that they make the rest of us look stuffy and slow-witted by comparison."

Thanks, Guys
7.) I don't feel the need to "reconcile".

Now then, in conclusion, I'd like to add that, initially, having pretty much written off McCain as an option, I thought that perhaps Palin would be the catalyst that was needed -- not only for him, but to change my mind. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. However, as with so many other "bashing" fests by liberals, when the media gave them some fodder, they were quite happy to make shit out of it. It's rather natural to defend another women against remarks such as "women of childbearing age should not be in positions of power" or "you can't trust PMSing women with the nuclear button". These remarks came from men and women alike, with an assortment of colorful adjectives -- which began as a result of the "media attacks".

This isn't about the election, Soaring.
OK, then if this is about her being capable of being POTUS in 2012, then I say no. And, it is not because she is a beautiful female. It's because I was not convinced by her speeches during the prelims that she knew much of anything about politics at the national level. She would have to serve some time in the Senate of the US for several years in order to gain the knowledge of how Washington works. She is perfectly happy in Alaska raising her family, fishing, hunting and dealing with local politics. She seems quite happy living that life, and would be put into a very distraught situation if suddenly placed in the White House in the middle of Washington DC. A whole different environment.

Hmmm.... So much for Clinton and Bush, huh? Just for starters.

that woman is an idiot who is always running her mouth....i would not vote for any ticket palin is on...woman or not...
Why exactly is she "an idiot" , I'm no particular fan of Sarah Palin...but I'm just wondering why you apparently hate her so much... such vitriolic commentary reminds me of how the right demonized Hillary Clinton which I for one could never understand. Is it perhaps that you collectivists are intimidated by those uppity women that are smarter and more successful than you are? :lol:

You've got several problems here Colorado.

1st if all modern feminists wanted was equality between men and women they could have packed their bags and folded their tents and faded quietly into the sunset decade or so ago.

2nd Phyllis Schlafly's Eagle Forum from the day it was founded until Ms. Magazine gave up the Ghost had a larger and more active membership then NOW.

3rd feminists themsleves are no longer in agreement about much of anything that truly matters to much of anyone or truly impacts anyone's life.

4th the feminist movement lost every last shred of it's credibility during the Clinton years by their continuing support for a serial womanizer.

1st if all modern feminists wanted was equality between men and women they could have packed their bags and folded their tents and faded quietly into the sunset decade or so ago.

2nd Phyllis Schlafly's Eagle Forum from the day it was founded until Ms. Magazine gave up the Ghost had a larger and more active membership then NOW.

3rd feminists themsleves are no longer in agreement about much of anything that truly matters to much of anyone or truly impacts anyone's life.

4th the feminist movement lost every last shred of it's credibility during the Clinton years by their continuing support for a serial womanizer.
Hold up, Is Sarah Palin a feminist? I'll be the first to admit that I don't that much about her but the little I do know gives me no indication that she is a "feminist" or anything approaching that moniker.

Most of the women in America think of themselves as feminist in the general sense that Colorado defined feminism as seeking the equality between the sexes and that defineiton would be championed by more than a few men as well. And almost none of them agree as to how to get there.

By the way I wasn't arguing about whether Palin was a feminist or not merely that his definition of feminism whereever he got it is far to broad these days to have any real meaning.

Oh, I have a disagree with that. See, you're forgetting about the "uninformed masses" who pay little to no attention to details in the candidates' resumes. I'd say the feminist move lost their credibility when they continued to support the "stand by your man" spouse of a serial womanizer -- the woman who lost her own voice.

that woman is an idiot who is always running her mouth....i would not vote for any ticket palin is on...woman or not...
Why exactly is she "an idiot" , I'm no particular fan of Sarah Palin...but I'm just wondering why you apparently hate her so much... such vitriolic commentary reminds me of how the right demonized Hillary Clinton which I for one could never understand. Is it perhaps that you collectivists are intimidated by those uppity women that are smarter and more successful than you are? :lol:

They don't like her because she is religious and she did not abort her downs baby. And because she fired up the conservative base during the elections with her charisma.

And recently when they ignored the more qualified woman who could have become the 1st female President and came out and publicly endorsed the un qualified empty suit who was a "MAN".

And recently when they ignored the more qualified woman who could have become the 1st female President and came out and publicly endorsed the un qualified empty suit who was a "MAN".

That was their biggest mistake, yep.

I'd say the feminist movement lost their credibility when they continued to support the "stand by your man" spouse of a serial womanizer -- the woman who lost her own voice.

Who would that be ?

Hmmm.... If the serial womanizer referred to is Bill Clinton, that would make the spouse/woman who lost her voice Hillary.

You must give her credit for trying to reclaim it though. Also, you do realize that most of what Bill did in presidency was because of Hilary (good or bad). She was stuck between a rock and hard place at the time, and you can't entirely blame her, with the media frenzy and all that shit, she didn't even have time to berate Bill for his stupidity.

I'd say the feminist movement lost their credibility when they continued to support the "stand by your man" spouse of a serial womanizer -- the woman who lost her own voice.

Who would that be ?

Hmmm.... If the serial womanizer referred to is Bill Clinton, that would make the spouse/woman who lost her voice Hillary.

I thought so but I didn't want to put words into your mouth, personally my political & economic differences with Hillary are legion but I still respect her as an intelligent woman and I don't think minimizing her to "stand by your man" is an accurate portrayal of her ...

I'd feel more comfortable with Hillary in the White House than the Radical Left Wing Nut Case we have in there now .. call me crazy, just how I see it.

Who would that be ?

You must give her credit for trying to reclaim it though. Also, you do realize that most of what Bill did in presidency was because of Hilary (good or bad). She was stuck between a rock and hard place at the time, and you can't entirely blame her, with the media frenzy and all that shit, she didn't even have time to berate Bill for his stupidity.

Sorry.... I give her no credit "for trying to reclaim it". I was thoroughly disgusted by her address to the women at Rutgers following the "Ohhh.... that's just terrible" Imus remarks made. Standing in front of them, challenging them, encourging them. Made me want to puke. And how did she handle Bill's interference during the campaign? Oh, I'm sure there were a few private "Bill, you just can't say those things in public" moments. Did you see her stand up to him in public? Once? When he made an idiot out of her with his big mouth? Didn't think so.

Who would that be ?

I thought so but I didn't want to put words into your mouth, personally my political & economic differences with Hillary are legion but I still respect her as an intelligent woman and I don't think minimizing her to "stand by your man" is an accurate portrayal of her ...

I'd feel more comfortable with Hillary in the White House than the Radical Left Wing Nut Case we have in there now .. call me crazy, just how I see it.

Then I'm sure you're going to disagree with my reasoning for it! Or... maybe not... Maybe you'll understand it...

Sorry.... I give her no credit "for trying to reclaim it". I was thoroughly disgusted by her address to the women at Rutgers following the "Ohhh.... that's just terrible" Imus remarks made. Standing in front of them, challenging them, encourging them. Made me want to puke. And how did she handle Bill's interference during the campaign? Oh, I'm sure there were a few private "Bill, you just can't say those things in public" moments. Did you see her stand up to him in public? Once? When he made an idiot out of her with his big mouth? Didn't think so.

Sorry, but I am weighing the good of the country with the bad as well into this. Again most of Bill's policies were actually hers, so regardless of personal feelings she would have been far better than what we wound up with. A choice between a failed American Idol and an intelligent woman who is just a glutton for punishment ... I would have to say the glutton, since it wouldn't have impacted the country nearly as much.

Forum List

Back