FEMA Double Standard: Joplin vs New Orleans

Old news.
There is a thread that already went through all this.
There has been a ban on trailer homes in this city for years.

There should be a ban on FEMA trailers everywhere. They are incredibly unsafe, they do not pass the governments own safety codes...and the government has abandoned 100,000's of them in fields scattered across the south because they cannot sell them since they violate the most basic safety and structural soundness codes.

Batter then being homeless and sleeping in the streets i would think.

Just saying.

Old news.

There should be a ban on FEMA trailers everywhere. They are incredibly unsafe, they do not pass the governments own safety codes...and the government has abandoned 100,000's of them in fields scattered across the south because they cannot sell them since they violate the most basic safety and structural soundness codes.

Just saying.

No.
A bad idea is a bad idea. If they want to spend taxpayer dollars to build portable temporary housing then build them safe. And build them so they last longer than a few weeks.
I invite you to google around, FEMA trailers are a disaster of their own.
Floors fell through, 1,000's of them leaked from day 1, plumbing leaks, electrical problems...it goes on and on.

Not to worry, Samson - they denied help to Southwestern Virginia as well. They got hit by those tornadoes that came through here. Hell, folks in the Appalachians are pretty far down on the poverty level ... but, come to think of it, there are white majorities all through there, too. I figured it was because Virginia has a Republican Governor. Maybe Missouri's Governor is Republican? Maybe it's all of the above.

If you're white, the best thing to do after a storm destroys your home is find some brown shoe polish and a National News Team.
Or make sure you live in a state with a democratic governor
;)

Missouri has a Democrat Governor & a Democrat US Senator & many Democrat Reps. Mississippi, Alabama, & Florida recovered fine under President Bush. New Orleans, LA pulled a political stunt. I don't think Bush did everything right after Katrina but Louisiana really dropped the ball. Notice that Louisiana got rid of that corrupt Democrat Governor & elected a Republican. The New Orleans Mayor was also finally voted out. It seems to me there was a lot of racism going on in Louisiana.

Old news.

Just saying.

No.
A bad idea is a bad idea. If they want to spend taxpayer dollars to build portable temporary housing then build them safe. And build them so they last longer than a few weeks.
Floors fell through, 1,000's of them leaked from day 1, plumbing leaks, electrical problems...it goes on and on.

I agree...bad idea. Tax payer dollars should NOT be spent on temporary housing.

Our military sleep in tents. Works for me as temporary housing in a disaster. If the people dont like it they would be free to find what ever temporary housing they wish.

Again....no matter what they are...it is BETTER then sleeping in the streets.

Old news.

"Old news,"...yet you continue to miss the fucking point:

Joplin "refugees" are only being given 18 months of temporary housing while Katrina Refugees are still be housed 6 years later.

Just saying.

No.

Our military sleep in tents. Works for me as temporary housing in a disaster. If the people dont like it they would be free to find what ever temporary housing they wish.

I could live in a tent for 6 years, eating gubment cheese, and watching Jerry Springer.

Old news.

Joplin "refugees" are only being given 18 months of temporary housing while Katrina Refugees are still be housed 6 years later.

It's called blind eye.
The gumnent is literally shaking in their boots at the mere impression that they are not providing for a minority group.
Do you have kids that are college age?
Have you ever spent time looking for scholarships in the last 10-15 years?
Scholarships for minorities outnumber "scholarships for merit" at least 100 to 1...at least.
It is the same thing here, of course there are people still living in FEMA trailers in LA, hell they were living in government housing BEFORE Katrina - why would anyone be surprised they do AFTER Katrina.
Nagen's platform was simple "I'll help you get yours" and that platform was extremely popular in his "chocolate city". I don't give a damn what color people are - all people can easily be conditioned to be lazy and get free stuff. The difference between Joplin and Katrina is simple. In Joplin they are white, imagine if 18 months after Katrina black people were put out on the street?? Shit...imagine the media maelstrom. In Joplin - pheh...not sensational enough.

Last edited:
No.

I could live in a tent for 6 years, eating gubment cheese, and watching Jerry Springer.

Exactly. So why should the taxpayers pay for mobile "temporary" homes?

Why not just give them all sturdy Refrigerator Boxes set upon a couple of wooden pallets and a plastic tarp to throw over it all?

Old news.

It's called blind eye.
The gumnent is literally shaking in their boots at the mere impression that they are not providing for a minority group.
Scholarships for minorities outnumber "scholarships for merit" at least 100 to 1...at least.
It is the same thing here, of course there are people still living in FEMA trailers in LA, hell they were living in government housing BEFORE Katrina - why would anyone be surprised they do AFTER Katrina.
Nagen's platform was simple "I'll help you get yours" and that platform was extremely popular in his "chocolate city". I don't give a damn what color people are - all people can easily be conditioned to be lazy and get free stuff. The difference between Joplin and Katrina is simple. In Joplin they are white, imagine if 18 months after Katrina black people were put out on the street?? Shit...imagine the media maelstrom. In Joplin - pheh...not sensational enough.

I plan to be Righteously Indignant, regardless of the color or flavor of refugees: Chocolate or Vanilla, Strawberry or Tutti-Fruti, FEMA should be held to the same standard of response.

Why not just give them all sturdy Refrigerator Boxes set upon a couple of wooden pallets and a plastic tarp to throw over it all?

I think the government should help with disasters. Tent cities would be my choice.

I think the government should help with disasters. Tent cities would be my choice.

Hell, OUR SOLDIERS have lived in holes they dug themselves...why not just give everyone a shovel?

It's called blind eye.

I plan to be Righteously Indignant, regardless of the color or flavor of refugees: Chocolate or Vanilla, Strawberry or Tutti-Fruti, FEMA should be held to the same standard of response.

I agree...which is about nothing.

What you mean is that the Katrina "victims" need to be held to the same standards as the rest of the country in disaster response. Which means their free loading asses need to get the boot.

It's called blind eye.

Fair enough.
Then perhaps this is a FEMA "adjustment" - seeing how their help in LA was enabling people to be lazy and dependent.
All help should be temporary in nature. FEMA included. A year and a half is a long time.

It's called blind eye.

I agree...which is about nothing.

What you mean is that the Katrina "victims" need to be held to the same standards as the rest of the country in disaster response. Which means their free loading asses need to get the boot.

:eek::eek::eek:

After ONLY SIX YEARS!!!!

:tongue:

YA THINK!!???

:lol:

APNewsBreak: FEMA favors existing housing for Joplin victims, but some up to 55 miles away - The Washington Post

Temporary housing will be made available for up to 18 months. Some people along the Gulf Coast still live in FEMA trailers nearly six years after Hurricane Katrina.

WTF is wrong with the Obama Administration?

Why aren't temp houses available for NEARLY SIX YEARS for Joplin Tornado Victims???

Is it BECAUSE THEY ARE WHITE!!:eek:

Maybe there should be fewer $$$ spent dropping bombs on Lybia, and more on temporary housing for victims of Natural Disasters that live OUTSIDE New Orleans?

Yeah, that's it. :cuckoo:

It's simple common sense. The odds of another tornado hitting that area are high. Bye bye flimsy trailers. Plus there WERE no other housing options available in NO after Katrina unless you expected the people residing in the Garden District to allow people from the 9th Ward to use their carriage houses.

APNewsBreak: FEMA favors existing housing for Joplin victims, but some up to 55 miles away - The Washington Post
“Wouldn’t you prefer to be in a stable building over a mobile home?” she asked. Stonner also noted that getting things like water, sewer lines and developing pads for trailers would take substantial time.

Not to worry, Samson - they denied help to Southwestern Virginia as well. They got hit by those tornadoes that came through here. Hell, folks in the Appalachians are pretty far down on the poverty level ... but, come to think of it, there are white majorities all through there, too. I figured it was because Virginia has a Republican Governor. Maybe Missouri's Governor is Republican? Maybe it's all of the above.

If you're white, the best thing to do after a storm destroys your home is find some brown shoe polish and a National News Team.

No prejudices there, nosireee. Carry on, teach.

Brown shoe polish, eh? *Granny makes survival note to self*

Syrenn - you are absolutely right. Mississippi really got the short end of the stick and I don't think Alabama fared much better.

The devastation wasn't as widespread in Alabama and Mississippi (with the exception of the Gulf Coast).

Here's all the money tallied through 2006 for each state:

FEMA: Frequently Requested National Statistics Hurricane Katrina ? One Year Later

And money still gets distributed from FEMA resulting from Katrina.

Katrina anniversary: How well has recovery money been spent? - CSMonitor.com

Brown shoe polish, eh? *Granny makes survival note to self*

Syrenn - you are absolutely right. Mississippi really got the short end of the stick and I don't think Alabama fared much better.

They got flattened! And they weren't mollycoddled either.

I am really sorry ALL of these people in these disasters have had their homes ruined. It is NOT the responsibility of the government to rebuild peoples lives and homes.

It's always intriguing to see people imply that "I" wouldn't do this, do that...until a similar situation is up close and personal. If it weren't so tragically stupid, I'd be laughing my ass off at suc self-righteous declarations.

Temporary housing will be made available for up to 18 months. Some people along the Gulf Coast still live in FEMA trailers nearly six years after Hurricane Katrina.

WTF is wrong with the Obama Administration?

Why aren't temp houses available for NEARLY SIX YEARS for Joplin Tornado Victims???

Is it BECAUSE THEY ARE WHITE!!:eek:

Maybe there should be fewer $$$ spent dropping bombs on Lybia, and more on temporary housing for victims of Natural Disasters that live OUTSIDE New Orleans?

Yeah, that's it. :cuckoo:

It's simple common sense. The odds of another tornado hitting that area are high. Bye bye flimsy trailers. Plus there WERE no other housing options available in NO after Katrina unless you expected the people residing in the Garden District to allow people from the 9th Ward to use their carriage houses.

“Wouldn’t you prefer to be in a stable building over a mobile home?” she asked. Stonner also noted that getting things like water, sewer lines and developing pads for trailers would take substantial time.

Takes you a little while to catch on, so I'm not surprised your still catching up with the thread.

My point isn't that temporary housing should exist.

My point is that it should be available for as long as it has been for Katrina refugees.

Try reading the thread before posting.

I know it will be difficult, but at least you will have made the attempt not to appear moronic.

Forum List

Back