Federal raid on Gibson Guitars....retaliatory harassment?

Ok, I found this really interesting article. Gibson has since 1996 been buying certified wood.

They were the first to do so and have been highly visible with the Rainforest Alliance and have been audited on a regular basis.

This is from 2009. The CEO took a leave of absence from the Rainforest Alliance during this investigation from this raid where property was seized by no charges laid.

Gibson CEO takes leave from Rainforest Alliance board after federal raid - Nashville Business Journal

The Rainforest Alliance says its auditors last visited the Nashville plant in September 2008 and verified that Gibson purchased hard maple, mahogany and muira piranga from rain forests certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.

The woods are used in the manufacturing of Gibson’s Les Paul SmartWood and Raw Power guitars, which are sold as “FSC-Pure” with a certificate of authenticity from Gibson.

According to the Alliance, the wood under investigation is not FSC-certified.

The Nashville plant currently holds the Alliance’s Chain-of-Custody certificate. According to the Alliance’s Web site, the certification “assures companies handling forest products as well as consumers and other end-users that the FSC-certified products they purchase are from responsible sources.”

Under the certificate, Gibson also has the ability to purchase swamp ash and poplar from FSC-certified suppliers.

“No other species are authorized to be sold with a FSC-certified claim under Gibson’s Chain-of-Custody certificate,” the Alliance said, noting that the certificate does not cover wood from Madagascar.

According to the Alliance, Gibson sources mahogany from community-managed forests set aside by the Honduran and Guatemalen governments for conservation purposes.

As a result, illegal harvesting in Honduras’ Rio Platano Reserve has been greatly reduced, the Alliance said. Local loggers, who once sold wood for less than 25 cents a foot, now sell to Gibson for nearly 40 times that amount.

“The cooperatives selling sustainably harvested, high-grade mahogany to Gibson have dramatically increased their profits while conserving the forest around them,” the Alliance said.

The Alliance has been working with Gibson since 1996, when the company introduced the first guitar ever to use FSC-certified wood: the Les Paul SmartWood Standard.

In 2007, Gibson pledged to maximize its purchases of FSC-certified wood over the following five years as part of the company’s commitment to the Clinton Global Initiative.

Surely in two years the Feds would have been able to determine what the wood was and whether or not it was illegal and laid charges if that was appropriate.

Retailiation for WHAT?

Because Gibson supposedly violated Indian law that only Indian workers are allowed to finish the rosewood fret boards that are being exported. Nice how Eric Holder and "Team Obama" work so hard to protect bogus rights of Indian workers while they put Americans out of work.

Okay...but that is NOT retaliation, however.

A stupid law, perhaps, but your use of the word retaliation suggested that enhforcement of this stupid law is payback for some grievance.

Thanks for replying though and clearing that up for me.

Decide for yourself:

This unfortunate event begs the question, Why Gibson?

Putting aside the presumably misguided motivation to enforce another sovereign nation’s laws, why would a homegrown American company be the target of the Department of Justice in the first place?

It’s worth pointing out that Henry E. Juszkiewicz, Gibson’s Chief Executive Officer, is a donor to a couple of Republican politicians. According to the Open Secrets database, Juszkiewicz donated $2000 to Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN07) last year, as well as $1500 to Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN). Juszkiewicz also has donated $10,000 to the Consumer Electronics Association, a PAC that contributed $92.5k to Republican candidates

CEO of Gibson Guitar a Republican donor; Democrat competitor uses same wood - Landmark Report

Martin uses the same wood. But their CEO is a Dem.

Apparently they've been told it would be better if they outsourced their labor. No issue if the manufacturing is done by non-Americans. Kinda like rendition. :(

And in their benevolence they offer me two MRE's if i can drive a 20 mile round trip.

And then claim they need more money to do so.

LIAMD.

Jusging from what I have heard on teh radio regarding this case, it appears that GIBSON not only bought contrabanned wood, but they actually conspired to get this wood knowing full well that they were in violation of the existing laws.

If that is true, then I fully support what has been done.

I'd like to see proof of that. No charges have been filed from the '09 raid.
According to a press release from Gibson, the agents “seized several pallets of wood, electronic files and guitars.” Juszkiewicz estimated the loss of raw materials alone to be $1 million; obviously not including financial losses due to the inability to produce guitars from those materials.

Gibson has engaged in extensive and costly efforts to recover its property from that raid two years ago; including the filing of a civil lawsuit. In the civil proceedings, the company presented proof, including statements from the Madagascar government, that the wood was obtained legally. Still, the federal government refuses to budge; and now, with these second and third raids, appears intent on trying to put Gibson out of business completely.

Gibson Guitar to Uncle Sam

After the 2009 raid, Mr. Juszkiewicz resigned from the board of the Rainforest Alliance, which seeks to preserve tropical forests. He said he didn't want to tar the nonprofit with bad publicity. A Rainforest Alliance spokeswoman said he wasn't pressured to step down, and the group continues to praise Gibson's efforts to promote responsible harvesting of wood.

Scott Paul, a Greenpeace official in New York responsible for forestry issues, said Gibson for years has done "great work" to promote better forestry practices.
Gibson Guitar Wails on Federal Raid - WSJ.com

WK-AY969_FELDEN_G_20110825173428.jpg

I'm not sure what they're trying to do to companies around the US but the Feds are going nuts enforcing insane environmental rules.

Federal agents swooped in on Gibson Guitar Wednesday, raiding factories and offices in Memphis and Nashville, seizing several pallets of wood, electronic files and guitars. The Feds are keeping mum, but in a statement yesterday Gibson's chairman and CEO, Henry Juszkiewicz, defended his company's manufacturing policies, accusing the Justice Department of bullying the company. "The wood the government seized Wednesday is from a Forest Stewardship Council certified supplier," he said, suggesting the Feds are using the aggressive enforcement of overly broad laws to make the company cry uncle.

It's not enough to know that the body of your old guitar is made of spruce and maple: What's the bridge made of? If it's ebony, do you have the paperwork to show when and where that wood was harvested and when and where it was made into a bridge? Is the nut holding the strings at the guitar's headstock bone, or could it be ivory? "Even if you have no knowledge—despite Herculean efforts to obtain it—that some piece of your guitar, no matter how small, was obtained illegally, you lose your guitar forever," Prof. Thomas has written. "Oh, and you'll be fined $250 for that false (or missing) information in your Lacey Act Import Declaration."

What's really strange is the CEO of Gibson says now he was told that his problems would go away if he'd just use foreign labor.

CHRIS DANIEL: Mr. Juszkiewicz, did an agent of the US government suggest to you that your problems would go away if you used Madagascar labor instead of American labor?

HENRY JUSZKIEWICZ: They actually wrote that in a pleading.

CHRIS DANIEL: Excuse me?

HENRY JUSKIEWICZ: They actually wrote that in a pleading.

CHRIS DANIEL: That your problems would go away if you used Madagascar labor instead of our labor?

HENRY JUSKIEWICZ: Yes, yeah. They said that explicitly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUxDrwj1xcU&feature=player_embedded

Links

Guitar Frets: Environmental Enforcement Leaves Musicians in Fear | Postmodern Times - WSJ.com

Gibson CEO: Obama Administration Told Us Our Problems Would Go Away If We Used Madagascar Labor (Audio) | The Gateway Pundit
merged

Last edited:
already a long thread on this, dude.

A long thread about the Feds trying to get American companies to outsource their labor?

G.E. outsourced theirs to escape higher taxes. Now this.

A long thread on the Gibson guitar raid.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/182820-federal-raid-on-gibson-guitars-retaliatory-harassment.html

I'm seeing a pattern. The government is hassling US companies forcing them to move out of the country.

How many companies have we heard of this year that is being sued by the US government or being told that they can't move to another state. Now this deal with Gibson that seems to be a setup. Two years ago they were told to outsource their labor to Madagascar and when they don't they get raided.

Gotta lump all of those anti-Democrat threads together....but all of the Rick Perry, Dick Cheney, Tea Party, and Sarah Palin threads stays separate.

Come on, dude. If there are multiple 'Dick Cheney shot some guy hunting' threads, or multiple 'Tea Party members all hate blacks' thread or multiple 'Sarah Palin is hot, but I'd never vote for her' threads, they should all be merged. But if the specific topics are different, why merge them?

Two threads, on Gibson Guitars being raided... sounds like merge material to me.

Of course, you do make an excellent observation regarding the pattern you're seeing.

Gotta lump all of those anti-Democrat threads together....but all of the Rick Perry, Dick Cheney, Tea Party, and Sarah Palin threads stays separate.

Come on, dude. If there are multiple 'Dick Cheney shot some guy hunting' threads, or multiple 'Tea Party members all hate blacks' thread or multiple 'Sarah Palin is hot, but I'd never vote for her' threads, they should all be merged. But if the specific topics are different, why merge them?

Two threads, on Gibson Guitars being raided... sounds like merge material to me.

Of course, you do make an excellent observation regarding the pattern you're seeing.

Two "Feds Running Amok" threads????

I should have left Gibson off the title.

That would have kept the mods from moving the fucker.

I'm outta here.

I'm outta here.

If having a thread merged is the worst thing that happens to you today, consider yourself to have had a good day.

I'm outta here.

If having a thread merged is the worst thing that happens to you today, consider yourself to have had a good day.

There are two ways to derail a thread....start a fight with someone and change the subject or merge it with another thread.

Ether way the the purpose of it is wiped out.

Last edited:

I'm outta here.

Fuck you.

There are two ways to derail a thread....start a fight with someone and change the subject or merge it with another thread.

Ether way the the purpose of it is wiped out.

Whatever, Leonard.

Forum List

Back