Federal jobs pay more than private sector

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CMike, Apr 6, 2010.

1. CMike

CMike Zionist, proud to be

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
  2. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,128
    Well, THAT is a problem which needs to be addressed.

At Corporations I worked for, each Human Resource Department had to do research on Competitive salaries for the same position in the general area of the job's home base....and they took pride in making certain, we were paid a competitive compensation or the best compensation, which included our benefits, for this general area of the study....and no matter who they hired for this position, a kid, or someone with years of experience, they started at the base level for what the market place dictated for this position, with the exception that there were increments that one could rise,

so basically there was a salary RANGE for the position which had consideration for years of experience, but all employees doing this job, were paid within that salary range....

if you wanted to make more money than the cap for the job, you had to seek a promotion....

We could not be terminated for doing a poor job, without at least 3 reprimands/recommendations of improvement, in writing and before Human Resource and ones Boss.

they offered all job openings within the company, to company employees exclusively for 2 weeks, before they advertised to the public or involved recruiters for their search...

I think the government runs pretty much the same way as private corporations with some exceptions, and those exceptions are where the problem lies...

1. the Federal Government does not select their pay ranges for their positions via the immediate market of the job itself.... someone working in Alabama with a low cost of living and someone in New york with the same federal job will get the same money for the job....

this is a HUGE waste of money and overpays many in the country....

2. the government gives "cost of living " raises annually....I have not worked for one corporation that gives cost of living raises, if you get a raise, it was for merit.

THIS is another reason why the gvt overpays their employees compared to the private sector, imho...

3. ElmerMudd

ElmerMudd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +860
    Government jobs have historically paid low wages with large benefits.

The private sector has reducesd costs where ever possible including wages. Plus the private sector has reduced benefit substantially.
    One main reason is the sky rocketing costs of health care.

Where the private sector needs to get its house in order is with top executive compensation. It is beyond ridiculous.

The government does not pay their top executives even close to the private sector.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. beowolfe

beowolfe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Executive pay is one of the reasons the private sector cut wages and benefits. If they had cut executive pay, they would have continues to still be able to afford the wages and benefits (except healthcare) they were paying prior to the cuts.

As a worker and taxpayer, I much prefer the federal model..........much lower executive pay and good wages and benefits for the rank and file.

5. ElmerMudd

ElmerMudd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +860
    The balanced wage spread between the bottom and the top in a corporation creates a healthier economy also.
    There is not a free market economy in the world that has such a disparity in compensation between top management and lower eschelon employees.

6. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,540
    The government sector moves very slowly when it comes to wage adjustments. When the economy was booming, the government paid woefully unattractive wages. Government wages increased to make up the difference with private sector pay. Now that the economy has reversed, once again the government is slow to react.
    Taken over the last 25 years, very few private sector employees would have accepted government employment

7. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,784
  8. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +394
    The reason for this is the glut of desperate people out of work. I think I heard that 15 million people are now unemployed? The manager at my warehouse was laid off when this forwarder's location closed last year. She was making 40K a year. She has now gone on close to 50 interviews and no one is hiring for more than 10-15 dollars per hour PLUS she was diagnosed with MS last year, so she is freaking out because Cobra is completely draining her savings and if she loses her insurance, she has a "pre-existing" condition that will make it impossible to get any insurance... She can't afford $10 an hour, not by a long shot. That's $19,200 a year...

When I worked for a lab for the city in 2002, I was paid far less than a private lab. In fact, I quit the city job to work for a private vaccine lab.

9. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

California Lawmakers Give Raises As State Goes Broke

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Queen

Queen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Federal jobs don't have CEO's to pay millions of dollars to. There's low overhead so the actually working people can make a living wage.

But this isn't something Republicans like to see. They prefer the working people to make shit while the CEOs take home the big bucks.

Isn't that right?