FDR said what!!!!

ihopehefails

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2009
Famous FDR quotes:

"I don't mind telling you in confidence that I am keeping in fairly close touch with that admirable Italian Gentlemen" (Of course, he was referring to Mussilini)

"if we are to go forward, we must move as a trained and loyal army (we are not longer free people but soldiers who follow orders without question) willing to sacrifice for the good of a common discipline. We are, I know, ready and willing to submit our lives and property for such discipline, because it makes possible a leadership that aims at the greater good (Give up all our freedoms so he can tell us what to do). I assume unhesingtately the leadership of this great army (aka dictator) of our people dedicated to a disciplined attack upon our common problems"

"I shall not evade the clear course of duty that will then confront me. (when people didn't want to go along with him) I shall ask the congress for one remaining instrument to meet the crisis--broad executive power (aka dictatorship) to wage war against the emergency, as great as the power that would be given to me if we were in fact invaded by foreign foe"

...with this all of his followers cheered the new dictatorship as they did in Italy. Welcome to America 1933.

Famous FDR quotes:

"I don't mind telling you in confidence that I am keeping in fairly close touch with that admirable Italian Gentlemen" (Of course, he was referring to Mussilini)

"if we are to go forward, we must move as a trained and loyal army (we are not longer free people but soldiers who follow orders without question) willing to sacrifice for the good of a common discipline. We are, I know, ready and willing to submit our lives and property for such discipline, because it makes possible a leadership that aims at the greater good (Give up all our freedoms so he can tell us what to do). I assume unhesingtately the leadership of this great army (aka dictator) of our people dedicated to a disciplined attack upon our common problems"

"I shall not evade the clear course of duty that will then confront me. (when people didn't want to go along with him) I shall ask the congress for one remaining instrument to meet the crisis--broad executive power (aka dictatorship) to wage war against the emergency, as great as the power that would be given to me if we were in fact invaded by foreign foe"

...with this all of his followers cheered the new dictatorship as they did in Italy. Welcome to America 1933.

Not bad quotes at all. It is no wonder that FDR was such a fine leader

What is amazing is the wild interpretations provided by ihopehefails. Is this guy that seriously out of touch?

It's funny because when I put the first quote in google, the only thing that showed up was ihope's post on USMB. So I'm calling bullshit or want a link.

The second quote is from FDR's "Only Thing We Have to Fear is Fear Itself" speech in which he is talking about the economy. The way you have the quote is way off. I'm calling bullshit again.

The second quote in full:

"If I read the temper of our people correctly, we now realize as we have never realized before our interdependence on each other; that we can not merely take but we must give as well; that if we are to go forward, we must move as a trained and loyal army willing to sacrifice for the good of a common discipline, because without such discipline no progress is made, no leadership becomes effective. We are, I know, ready and willing to submit our lives and property to such discipline, because it makes possible a leadership which aims at a larger good. This I propose to offer, pledging that the larger purposes will bind upon us all as a sacred obligation with a unity of duty hitherto evoked only in time of armed strife."

His second quote was also referring to the economy.

And that last quote is also from his "Only Thing We Have to Fear is Fear Itself" speech.

And you butchered the third quote intentionally as well:

I am prepared under my constitutional duty to recommend the measures that a stricken nation in the midst of a stricken world may require. These measures, or such other measures as the Congress may build out of its experience and wisdom, I shall seek, within my constitutional authority, to bring to speedy adoption.

But in the event that the Congress shall fail to take one of these two courses, and in the event that the national emergency is still critical, I shall not evade the clear course of duty that will then confront me. I shall ask the Congress for the one remaining instrument to meet the crisis—broad Executive power to wage a war against the emergency, as great as the power that would be given to me if we were in fact invaded by a foreign foe.

Fucking hack, get the fuck off this board.

Last edited:
It's funny because when I put the first quote in google, the only thing that showed up was ihope's post on USMB. So I'm calling bullshit or want a link.

The second quote is from FDR's "Only Thing We Have to Fear is Fear Itself" speech in which he is talking about the economy. The way you have the quote is way off. I'm calling bullshit again.

"If I read the temper of our people correctly, we now realize as we have never realized before our interdependence on each other; that we can not merely take but we must give as well; that if we are to go forward, we must move as a trained and loyal army willing to sacrifice for the good of a common discipline, because without such discipline no progress is made, no leadership becomes effective. We are, I know, ready and willing to submit our lives and property to such discipline, because it makes possible a leadership which aims at a larger good. This I propose to offer, pledging that the larger purposes will bind upon us all as a sacred obligation with a unity of duty hitherto evoked only in time of armed strife."

And that last quote is also from his "Only Thing We Have to Fear is Fear Itself" speech.

And you butchered the three quote intentionally as well:

I am prepared under my constitutional duty to recommend the measures that a stricken nation in the midst of a stricken world may require. These measures, or such other measures as the Congress may build out of its experience and wisdom, I shall seek, within my constitutional authority, to bring to speedy adoption.

But in the event that the Congress shall fail to take one of these two courses, and in the event that the national emergency is still critical, I shall not evade the clear course of duty that will then confront me. I shall ask the Congress for the one remaining instrument to meet the crisis—broad Executive power to wage a war against the emergency, as great as the power that would be given to me if we were in fact invaded by a foreign foe.

This will be easy :lol:

Here is the link:

Three New Deals: Reflections on ... - Google Books

In the highlighted bold section he is saying here that when congress doesn't use legal ways, which is one of the two courses, he will impose a military dictatorship or why else would he say "But in the event that the Congress shall fail to take one of these two courses" he shall use the same power as a military dictatorship would have as in the time of invasion.

FDR was one of the five greatest Presidents in US History

Nice to have a thread on him...even if it comes from ihopehefails

FDR started a run of 20 consecutive years of Democratic Presidents. Looks like the Republicans are trying to beat their previous record with their current batch of misfits

In the highlighted bold section he is saying here that when congress doesn't use legal ways, which is one of the two courses, he will impose a military dictatorship or why else would he say "But in the event that the Congress shall fail to take one of these two courses" he shall use the same power as a military dictatorship would have as in the time of invasion.

That's nothing like the quote you offered for the first one. Mussolini did not start to become a dictator in full until the mid-1930s. So your point of trying to turn FDR into a Fascist lover rings false.

As for the other two quotes, you seem to still not deny that you butchered them intentionally. I quoted them as he actually said them. Hack.

This thread is better off in the Conspiracy Theory Zone.

Last edited:

His second quote was also referring to the economy.

And you butchered the third quote intentionally as well:

Someone has just been playing sheeple and following talking points instead of thinking?

Umm FDR is no longer president.

He is the guy that so many liberals want the current president to emulate.

He is exactly what Obama is emulating. And did you just hear that FDR wasn't really any more successful than Hoover was at ending the recession? It was WW2's industrialization that got us out of the recession. But FDR, like Obama, was able to make the recession more palatable to the American people. He made people feel like at least the government was trying and cared.

Do you know the rich called FDR a traitor to his own class? He was a liberal and they were the "conservatives". And you middle class right wingers don't realize YOU are traitors to your class.

Which is exactly the opposite when Bush/Hoover were in charge. Zero confidence those Robber Baron's were working in our interest.

Also, during Hoover's time, black people were Republicans. It was the Great Mississippi flood that made blacks turn into Dems. Very similar to Katrina.

What should this tell us? Don't let Republicans run the government. Bush didn't even win. He stole Ohio in 04 and Florida in 2000. So no wonder the masses couldn't stand him. But Bush had the media in his pocket and his masters were the defense contractors, oil barons and every other coporation. Only manufacturing got screwed. And their CEO's walked away with millions too. It was all to crush labor.

Hell, the GOP and rich created this recession and the Great Depression. They got richer both times. We need to wake up.

That's nothing like the quote you offered for the first one. Mussolini did not start to become a dictator in full until the mid-1930s. So your point of trying to turn FDR into a Fascist lover rings false.

As for the other two quotes, you seem to still not deny that you butchered them intentionally. I quoted them as he actually said them. Hack.

This thread is better off in the Conspiracy Theory Zone.

What two methods was he referring to and if those didn't work such as the democratic process then what powers are associated with leaders during wartime?

Forum List

Back