FDA Approves First Nonprescription Daily Oral Contraceptive

Zincwarrior

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2021
The first over the counter contraceptive pill has just been approved. This will do wonders in reducing the cost and increasing the availability - thus reducing abortions. Its an existing pill so switching to non-prescription sales should be almost instantaneous.

FDA Approves First Nonprescription Daily Oral Contraceptive​

For Immediate Release:July 13, 2023

Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Opill (norgestrel) tablet for nonprescription use to prevent pregnancy— the first daily oral contraceptive approved for use in the U.S. without a prescription. Approval of this progestin-only oral contraceptive pill provides an option for consumers to purchase oral contraceptive medicine without a prescription at drug stores, convenience stores and grocery stores, as well as online.
The timeline for availability and price of this nonprescription product is determined by the manufacturer. Other approved formulations and dosages of other oral contraceptives will remain available by prescription only.
“Today’s approval marks the first time a nonprescription daily oral contraceptive will be an available option for millions of people in the United States,” said Patrizia Cavazzoni, M.D., director of the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. “When used as directed, daily oral contraception is safe and is expected to be more effective than currently available nonprescription contraceptive methods in preventing unintended pregnancy.”
Nonprescription availability of Opill may reduce barriers to access by allowing individuals to obtain an oral contraceptive without the need to first see a health care provider. Almost half of the 6.1 million pregnancies in the U.S. each year are unintended. Unintended pregnancies have been linked to negative maternal and perinatal outcomes, including reduced likelihood of receiving early prenatal care and increased risk of preterm delivery, with associated adverse neonatal, developmental and child health outcomes. Availability of nonprescription Opill may help reduce the number of unintended pregnancies and their potential negative impacts.
The contraceptive efficacy of norgestrel was established with the original approval for prescription use in 1973. HRA Pharma applied to switch norgestrel from a prescription to an over-the-counter product. For approval of a product for use in the nonprescription setting, the FDA requires that the applicant demonstrate that the product can be used by consumers safely and effectively, relying only on the nonprescription drug labeling without any assistance from a health care professional. Studies showed that consumer understanding of information on the Opill Drug Facts label was high overall and that a high proportion of consumers understood the label instructions, supporting their ability to properly use the drug when it is available as an over-the-counter product. When properly used, Opill is safe and effective.

The first over the counter contraceptive pill has just been approved. This will do wonders in reducing the cost and increasing the availability - thus reducing abortions. Its an existing pill so switching to non-prescription sales should be almost instantaneous.

to some, it is a huge burden to take a pill every day...might help some

What a cool idea -- taking non-prescribed hormones.

By all means, y'all ignorant morons please do, go ahead and take this! It'll be fun watching you try to sue someone.

:laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301:

Huh. I have some trepidation about this. I'm not opposed to birth control. But although rare, oral contraceptives can cause dangerous, even fatal blood clots in some women--some of whom are very young.

Huh. I have some trepidation about this. I'm not opposed to birth control. But although rare, oral contraceptives can cause dangerous, even fatal blood clots in some women--some of whom are very young.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't try to dissuade them! Let them learn the hard way!

This will help reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies and the number of births overall. Abortion will be even less. A win all the way around.

I just saw that almost half of pregnancies in the US are unplanned. Imagine if those could be avoided. Abortion gone for good.
W

I just saw that almost half of pregnancies in the US are unplanned. Imagine if those could be avoided. Abortion gone for good.
W

How about if women were compelled to learn how to stay non-pregnant in the first place.

I am incredibly ashamed of American women who are too stupid to simply avoid pregnancy.

How about if women were compelled to learn how to stay non-pregnant in the first place.

I am incredibly ashamed of American women who are too stupid to simply avoid pregnancy.

The more contraception methods out there the stronger the nation grows.

Forum List

Back