Favorite Movie Scenes

You may have not seen Citizen Kane but have probably heard of Rosebud. It was the final word that John Foster Kane uttered as he died. In beginning, you see Charles as a child with his favorite and only toy, Rosebud a tiny slay but it meant everything to Charles and it was cruelly taken from him. It was an event that would shape his entire life.

As Kane lay dying, Rosebud reveals Kane's final realization that he lost his childhood goodness/innocence and becomes a bad person. The sled represents a wish to go back to an earlier time in his life before money and fortune corrupted him.

The tragedy is that he only realizes this after it's too late, and his sled Rosebud ends up getting tossed into an incinerator and burned. So it looks like no one will ever realize what Kane meant when he said the name of his favorite boyhood toy.

In My Fair Lady Professor Higgins, a grammarian who teaches people the King's English comes across Eliza Doolittle, a flower girl who murders the English language. On a bet, Higgin claims he can teach this gutter snipe to speak so well he could pass her off as a duchess at an embassy ball. Well, after months of hard work by Eliza she is successful and she is a hit at the ball. Higgins and his friend Cornel Pickering congratulate each other on their great success totally ignoring Eliza. Feeling hurt and angry Eliza claims I can do without you very well... and thus they part ways. In the final scene Higgins proclaims, I can do with out you..., but I've grown accusation to her face......

I absolute love this ending because it leaves the audience with hope that these two will reconcile their differences. Eliza's smile tells us he is hopeless, he will never change. They may become friends but never lovers. George Bernard Shaw who wrote Pygmalion on which My Fair Lady is based said he never wants these two to become lovers and in the movie Learner and Lowe honor his request.

The greatest movie scene ever, is in The Sound of Music.

The Von Trapp family has just fled, in a borrowed car, and the Nazis run to their vehicle to give chase…

It won't let me embed the video here, so you'll just have to go to YouTube to watch it. It's only thirty-four seconds.

Something just now occurred to me. The Von Trapp family is loaned a car, in which to flee. A family of nine. The video here doesn't show the car, it starts after they've driven off, and the Nazis are trying to chase after them. But I now think that the car that they are shown using to get away couldn't possibly have room in it for nine people.

In movies there are always little mistakes. Unfortunately these mistakes are often found in editing well after the final scene is shot and the cost re-shooting is just too much so they let it go.

And of course one of the greatest scenes...

Never had their been such a shocking, horror scene. I remember biting my tongue and turning over a coke in my hand.

The scene was all about getting the audience to envision themselves in Marion Crane's place. Alfred Hitchcock used close-up shots of the actor's body and the blade separately. He then put them together in a mash and mix kind of flash, to make the feeling of what was happening to the character's body feel real. To meet the blood mixed with water in the shower really made it real. I will never forget it.

This scene along with the song, "Now We Are Free" gives me chills. When it shows him dying and being with his wife and son again.

Forum List

Back