Favorite Christmas Memories

Granny

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2009
Rocky Top, TN
I was thinking some of us might have some memories of past Christmases they would like to share ... if there's already a thread on this, perhaps this could be merged.

One that I know is a favorite was my children's first Christmas. I had extricated myself from a religious cult, was separated from my husband, had my three children to support on little to nothing. I wanted them to have Christmas, so bought a sheet of green poster paper, some glue and glitter, little stick on stuff such as stars, etc. I cut out a tree and we got busy with decorating it and I scotch taped it to the wall. Each child got one little gift. They still talk about how happy and excited they were and how they got a little bigger tree and a couple more gifts each year thereafter.

This leads to The Infamous Christmas tree story. I guess my youngest daughter was about 18-19 years old and I decided I wanted a new tree. I don't do Black Friday anymore - those people are serious and out for blood if you happen to be in the path of their progress when the doors open. Sears had a sale ad in the paper for a tree that would be just right and the price was right. My daughter and whoever she was dating at the time dropped me off and I survived the door opening stampede. When I got to Sears' Christmas Shop I called my daughter to let her know I'd be ready to be picked up in a short while. I inquired about the tree ... and was shortly informed they did not have the tree in stock. In the mean time, my daughter showed up. It was a new ad ... and they had none in stock? Oh - well ... they did have the display tree:

"Fine. I'll take it."
"You want the display tree?"
"Yes. You have a new sale ad in the paper and I want the tree."

So, here come the stock boys with this big-assed stock cart, knocking into card displays, etc. They get the tree disassembled and load it on the cart.

"Don't you have a box?"

Well, no. The box was trashed ... . I couldn't take it out like that, so out the stock boys come with big black garbage bags. My daughter is watching all this commotion and quietly said, "Mom ... you're creating a scene! All these people are looking at us! It's embarrassing!"

I looked at her. "You think you're embarrassed now? Just wait 'til I tell these people I'm your mother." She looked at me in absolute horror, mouth dropped wide open, then looked at the people and said, "I never saw this woman in my life!!!" And out the door she ran.

Last year a rather ragged looking tree was replaced with my brand new tree and I called my daughter to let her know The Infamous Christmas Tree had finally hit the dumpster. Her response? "That was the most embarrassing moment of my entire life."

Mine is the aforementioned Adevent Calendars. But going shopping for the tree is a nice memory as well. And opf course Christmas mornings themselves too. Going in to Mom n Dad's bedrooms with my little brother begging them to get up and get things rolling. :)

I remember that Christmas when I got my Official Red Ryder Carbine Action 200 shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time

When I was about 11, my dad suddenly developed a serious allergy to the tree. So we packed it up, decorations and all, and most of the gifts, and got all the stuff for a Christmas dinner, had someone with the church bring over a truck, and took it to a very needy family. They lived in an old wooden house that looked like it could blow over. I believe they had 4 kids. That is my favorite memory. My parents 'adopted' them to help them get on their feet. I will never forget the joy on those kids faces that were about my age, and the gratefulness of the parents. They at first didn't want to accept it, but were convinced everyone needs a helping hand sometimes. It made me realize how fortunate we were. We didn't have alot, but compared to them, we had the world.
It taught me a valuable lesson on giving is better than receiving.

Last edited:
I remember that Christmas when I got my Official Red Ryder Carbine Action 200 shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time
did you shoot ya eye out?

ChristmasStory.jpg

Funny bit from Calvin and Hobbes comics about Christmas (lots actually, but some in particular.)

His dad's always teasing him with explanations how things work, like the automatic garage door works by way of a guy in their attic opening it, or the ATM machine's guy with a printing press. So when Calvin gets excited about a Christmas tree his dad stays somewhat consistent telling him like,

"This year, if you get a present, you can go out to the garage and look at the tree all you like."

to which Calvin freaks out responding,

"(IF) I get (A) present?! Aren't we going to have the tree inside and decorate it?"

"Why bother? We just throw it away afterwords and the needles get everywhere. This year I thought we'd just get a little tree and keep it in the garage. You can go out there and look at it when ever you want, imagine it has lots of lights and decorations..."

At this point Calvin runs off screaming for Mom. :)

Mine is the aforementioned Adevent Calendars. But going shopping for the tree is a nice memory as well. And opf course Christmas mornings themselves too. Going in to Mom n Dad's bedrooms with my little brother begging them to get up and get things rolling. :)

:) I came here to say the same thing almost. My favorite memories of Christmas were Mom and Dad standing in their robes at 3 in the morning when we awakened them, and watching us open our treasures. The darkened room lighted only by the many lights strung on a real scented Christmas tree and the glistening toys and packages beneath it. The most exciting time of the year for two young kids who still believed in the myth.

:) I came here to say the same thing almost. My favorite memories of Christmas were Mom and Dad standing in their robes at 3 in the morning when we awakened them, and watching us open our treasures. The darkened room lighted only by the many lights strung on a real scented Christmas tree and the glistening toys and packages beneath it. The most exciting time of the year for two young kids who still believed in the myth.

Don't recall ever really believing. Remember even as a kid noticing adult conspiratorial looks talking of Santa and such. :)

When I was about 11, my dad suddenly developed a serious allergy to the tree. So we packed it up, decorations and all, and most of the gifts, and got all the stuff for a Christmas dinner, had someone with the church bring over a truck, and took it to a very needy family. They lived in an old wooden house that looked like it could blow over. I believe they had 4 kids. That is my favorite memory. My parents 'adopted' them to help them get on their feet. I will never forget the joy on those kids faces that were about my age, and the gratefulness of the parents. They at first didn't want to accept it, but were convinced everyone needs a helping hand sometimes. It made me realize how fortunate we were. We didn't have alot, but compared to them, we had the world.

You know, this is the great thing - the lessons we learn. There is always someone less fortunate than ourselves in one way or another and there is joy in giving them a helping hand when they least expect it.

And hands on helping helps us grow as no other. I truly believe that.

You know, this is the great thing - the lessons we learn. There is always someone less fortunate than ourselves in one way or another and there is joy in giving them a helping hand when they least expect it.

My favorite and best Christmas memories. When my first baby born exactly on Dec. 25. I almost didn't make it to the hospital to witness his birth but I made it. Every Christmas Day I live that moment to remember that day 32 years ago. He felt cheated every year because his birthday and Christmas gift and party are both celebrated the same day.

That was beautiful....it made me smile.

Forum List

Back