Falcons Can’t Fly Without Passports in the United Arab Emirates

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Falconry is a very popular sport in some countries of the Middle East. I never knew the falcons could fetch that much.

Falcons Can’t Fly Without Passports in the United Arab Emirates
ID documents are helping stamp out smuggling for the prized birds

image: http://thumbs.media.smithsonianmag....74b78f9/42-59712979.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

42-59712979.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

This man living in Dubai would need proper documentation if his bird is to fly — on an airplane, that is (Tuul & Bruno Morandi/Corbis)
By Marissa Fessenden
SMITHSONIAN.COM AUGUST 12, 2015 12:15PM

In the United Arab Emirates, even falcons have passports. Actually, they're required to do so if they want to fly on a plane, reports Dawn Bradley for The News Hub. This practice isn’t just "providing a status symbol" for rich falcon owners, she writes: It's aimed at preventing falcon smuggling.

Trained falcons are a coveted commodity. Jer Falcons or Icelandic Falcons are considered to be "flawless and genetically pure," writes Chris Peak for The Huffington Post, a status that can command prices of up to $1 million per bird. That kind of money has led to a black market for the birds. The Saker falcon of Mongolia has an estimated black market value of £2.6 million ($4 million), according to Tom Parfitt at The Telegraph. Prices like these are threatening the survival of rare species like the Saker. Smugglers are even transporting falcon eggs.

Read more:
History Travel Arts Science People Places Smithsonian

Amazing that the sport still goes on

I wonder how long it takes to train one of them. I took a picture of a hawk who was hanging around here for a few days, and he looks so similar to that falcon. Funny how the hawk turned down ground beef but loved Black Forrest ham.

I wonder how long it takes to train one of them. I took a picture of a hawk who was hanging around here for a few days, and he looks so similar to that falcon. Funny how the hawk turned down ground beef but loved Black Forrest ham.

We had a lot of hawks in Nevada. Once as I was walking through the parking lot early in the AM, I saw a snake just minding his own business crossing the lot. A hawk dropped straight down, silent as could be, grabbed that snake in its talons, looked at me, gave a frightful scream as if to say "Mind your own beeswax". Then he went straight up in the air snake in hand, or claw.

Raptors are amazing birds. Just amazing. When they hunt, they drop like a stone right on top of their prey.

We had a lot of hawks in Nevada. Once as I was walking through the parking lot early in the AM, I saw a snake just minding his own business crossing the lot. A hawk dropped straight down, silent as could be, grabbed that snake in its talons, looked at me, gave a frightful scream as if to say "Mind your own beeswax". Then he went straight up in the air snake in hand, or claw.

Raptors are amazing birds. Just amazing. When they hunt, they drop like a stone right on top of their prey.

I love to watch them flying. It's like they are floating in air.

Found a picture I HAD to share
eagle.jpg

Forum List

Back