Failure is not an option: A sneak peek at school reform?

Discussion in 'Education' started by chanel, Jan 22, 2011.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/20/education/20grades.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

Be careful what you wish for folks. Education reform is not about education at all. It's all about the numbers.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    It's a joke to suggest that k-12 educators are professionals.

Administrators are going to tell them how many kids will get what grades?

It's nonsense like that which drives intelligent educators out of the classroom.

3. 1uscitizen

1uscitizen Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Most people don't realize that administrators are running the schools, not the teachers. The rule of "no failures" is not unique to NY. It is happening across the country. Teachers are given the choice to follow the directive or lose their job. People think it's hard to fire a teacher, but teachers and administrators know that is false, so teachers do what they are told. When American students fall behind the rest of the world people blame the teachers because they don't know or refuse to acknowledge what's really happening at their schools. Public education won't improve until people open their eyes and hold the "decision-makers" and students responsible.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    We are all Individuals first. It seems that you have a good handle on that. Good perspective. ;)

5. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    From the article in the OP:

What's the problem?

6. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    I remember learning about the Purpose of the Ministry of Truth, in both school and print. Go Orwell!!!

7. bigrebnc1775

bigrebnc1775 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    Failure is not a bad thing it shows a person what they need to improve on. Let's use American idol as an example. How many of those people who failed to make the show were actually told they could sing, only to be laughed at by those who watched the first three weeks of the show?

8. Samson

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    :eusa_eh:

You know, I really cannot blame you for this attitude, because I had it at one time.

But then I taught in a school where 75% of the students were receiving Title I Federal Benefits, i.e., their parent(s) made so little income that they were granted free and reduced lunches.

As you may imagine, these kids did not come from homes where success was an everyday, or even an annual, happening. In fact, failure was more often the rule rather than the exception on a daily basis. They don't really need to attend school to get a taste of failure so it could "show a person what they need to improve on."

9. bigrebnc1775

bigrebnc1775 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    Failure is a good thing if you use it for yur benifit. Do you think I came from a secessful family back ground? My family was poor nothing was given to us. If we did not work for it we didn't get it. But failure is bad if you wallow in it and keep blaming others for the failure. Its a two edge sword. Just depends on how you use it.

10. Samson

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    I was speaking to your comment, "Failure is not a bad thing it shows a person what they need to improve on," and its application to the thread....You recall the thread, right?

In the context of applying failure as a lesson to children who are quite familiar with it, the comment is ludicrous.

Your next absurdity is, "failure is bad if you wallow in it.".... DEEP THOUGHTS

What about shit? Is that also bad if you wallow in it?

I bet its obvious to an intellectual giant like yourself that shit is also bad in which to wallow.

But, something has somehow illuded your keen mind: No one wants to wallow in shit or failure. 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, lots of kids have no choice but be in the company of failure. When they go to school, then they should have no choice but to be in the company of success.