Facts About Judaism

Fuck them and the horse they rode in on.
Easy, Adolph. Just kidding about the Adolph thing. Seriously, what could you possibly have against the Jews besides their tribal cliquish behavior and their propensity to act like assholes to outsiders.

Isn’t Jesus king of the Jews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the romans invented that idea so that they could execute him for sedition
against Rome. At that time the Romans decided who should be king
So Jesus wasn't a Jew?

yes-----there were jews in Judea at that time whom the romans placed in various
positions. But Jesus was a Pharisee------the romans hated Pharisees and the feeling was mutual. They preferred Sadducees

Easy, Adolph. Just kidding about the Adolph thing. Seriously, what could you possibly have against the Jews besides their tribal cliquish behavior and their propensity to act like assholes to outsiders.

So Jesus wasn't a Jew?

positions. But Jesus was a Pharisee------the romans hated Pharisees and the feeling was mutual. They preferred Sadducees
There is no indication that Jesus was a pharisee. As a matter of fact there is no indication that Jesus belonged to any specific Jewish religious faction.
You have been lied to. Jews cannot be trusted.

So Jesus wasn't a Jew?

There is no indication that Jesus was a pharisee. As a matter of fact there is no indication that Jesus belonged to any specific Jewish religious faction.
You have been lied to. Jews cannot be trusted.

who lied to me? I read the bible. I know stuff about PHARISEES ----and based on the comments CREDIBLY attributed to the person Jesus AND his behavior and
those with whom he associated----IT IS OBVIOUS TO ME that he was a Pharisee.
Just about every word and action attributed to him MARK HIM A PHARISEE. I never had any formal "jewish" education. I went to public school, my parents are
completely secular----I never so much as attended "Hebrew school". I spent more time in protestant SUNDAY SCHOOL than in any jewish learning class. You read
stuff from some student from Seton Hall WATTA JOKE. One of the most benighted persons in the field of religion I ever met was a divinity student from
Seton Hall-------he liked to hang around the student center WAY BACK IN THE DAY-----when I was a young college student and SHARE his "knowledge" of
religion

Thanks for the site. but I am still fuzzy on whether Judaism is a religion or a philosophy.

13 Principles of Faith
The closest that anyone has ever come to creating a widely-accepted list of Jewish beliefs is Rambam's thirteen principles of faith. These principles, which Rambam thought were the minimum requirements of Jewish belief, are:

1. G-d exists
  2. G-d is one and unique
  3. G-d is incorporeal
  4. G-d is eternal
  5. Prayer is to be directed to G-d alone and to no other
  6. The words of the prophets are true
  7. Moses' prophecies are true, and Moses was the greatest of the prophets
  8. The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moses
  9. There will be no other Torah
  10. G-d knows the thoughts and deeds of men
  11. G-d will reward the good and punish the wicked
  12. The Messiah will come
  13. The dead will be resurrected
The first 10 don't really specify what is actually believed, and there seems to be wide disagreement about the last three. For example:

11. When, where and how does G-d administer reward and punishment?

12. Will the Messiah be a person, prophet and/or G-d Himself? What, exactly, will he do?

13. Will the dead be physically resurrected on Earth or transported to heaven? What will happen to nonbelievers? Where do they go?

I would appreciate any answers you can provide.

11. Now here, and in the world to come, by measurements of kindness and justice
12. Yes a ruler, yes, help people realize G-d is the only King
13. Yes, there won't be non-believers, knowledge of G-d will cover earth.

The only one (I know) who covered this subject in whole is Rambam (Maimonides),
though much of Jewish thought revolves around arguments between sages, there's no argument against Rambam's position - that we will know how and in what exact order, only when it happens.

Unlike religions, Judaism is focused much on this world,
rather than some idea of transcendental cloudy stuff after death.

One of the flaws of religions of revelation is so called sacred texts which were written under the guise of God. And therefore, they must be completely accurate and truthful. But they were written by people based on their perceptions and contain some unreliable things (made up stories).

Let's remember the Plagues of Egypt. It is hard to imagine that these events underwent without notice of Egyptian historians of the time. But there is no mention of them in the literature.

What do the religious Jews feel about that? How is this explained?

One of the flaws of religions of revelation is so called sacred texts which were written under the guise of God. And therefore, they must be completely accurate and truthful. But they were written by people based on their perceptions and contain some unreliable things (made up stories).

Let's remember the Plagues of Egypt. It is hard to imagine that these events underwent without notice of Egyptian historians of the time. But there is no mention of them in the literature.

to what literature do you allude? the daily cairo chronicle? the NILE TIMES?

I know stuff about PHARISEES ----and based on the comments CREDIBLY attributed to the person Jesus AND his behavior and
Then I take it that you believe that all of us who follow Jesus and what he taught are Pharisees as well?

Get someone to invite you to next year's Seder. Then you'll find out.

I know stuff about PHARISEES ----and based on the comments CREDIBLY attributed to the person Jesus AND his behavior and
Then I take it that you believe that all of us who follow Jesus and what he taught are Pharisees as well?

obviously not. You are not a jew (as far as I know). HOWEVER---of course
since Jesus was a Pharisee, you are highly influenced by the Pharisee line of
thinking.

One aspect that has been mostly forgotten are the ten gods of the Egyptians and that the Egyptians prayed for each to prevent a certain disaster from occurring....And, yes, those ten disasters are the same Ten Plagues that appear in Exodus. For ancient Jews, it is an account of ten Egyptian Gods failing their people while the One God of the Jews rescues His people.

I think it means he’s not interested in discussing Judaism because he’s super cynical to all religions.

C’mon, Sparky, give JB a chance.

But I’m interested. Do tell more.

I suggest you read the link and then ask me any questions you still have.
I was more interested in hearing you talk about it first hand.

There’s a perception here, an inaccurate one I might add, that the G-d of Abraham is cruel. What’s your response to that?

whose perception is that? that of John and Charles Wesley?? we got
their followers here?
Right on cue.

amazing ----will they be posting ----I LOVE THEIR SERMONS
I love their evasiveness.

Pilate said, “So you are a king?” Jesus responded, “You say I am a king. Actually, I was born and came into the world to testify to the truth. All who love the truth recognize that what I say is true.”

One aspect that has been mostly forgotten are the ten gods of the Egyptians and that the Egyptians prayed for each to prevent a certain disaster from occurring....And, yes, those ten disasters are the same Ten Plagues that appear in Exodus. For ancient Jews, it is an account of ten Egyptian Gods failing their people while the One God of the Jews rescues His people.

do you have a citation to support your contention jews have considered ten Egyptian
gods to have been failures or losers in some "battle" The model of the jewish "god" contending with ten Egyptian "gods" does not show up in any literature I have read

I suggest you read the link and then ask me any questions you still have.

There’s a perception here, an inaccurate one I might add, that the G-d of Abraham is cruel. What’s your response to that?

their followers here?
Right on cue.

in what way are John and Charles evasive?

to what literature do you allude? the daily cairo chronicle? the NILE TIMES?
Actually it’s a valid point.

Your own people have forgotten God as they have repeatedly through their history.

Your people don’t understand or believe their own accounts because their meanings were lost through time.

Jesus was a Pharisee,
Your opinion only. Jesus, as were all Jews, were influenced by Pharisees and Pharisaic teachings. We can point to actions and teachings that were clearly influenced by Pharisees--and also to actions and teachings that clearly went against Pharisaic teachings.

What I find interesting is your insistence that Jesus be a Pharisee. It seems extremely important to you that he was. (I doubt Jesus minds.)

their followers here?
Right on cue.

in what way are John and Charles evasive?
I was talking about folks like you.

Jesus was a Pharisee,
Your opinion only. Jesus, as were all Jews, were influenced by Pharisees and Pharisaic teachings. We can point to actions and teachings that were clearly influenced by Pharisees--and also to actions and teachings that clearly went against Pharisaic teachings.

What I find interesting is your insistence that Jesus be a Pharisee. It seems extremely important to you that he was. (I doubt Jesus minds.)
It’s one of several narratives they pursue. It’s the shotgun approach so to speak. Let’s find every possible argument and use them all even if they are mutually exclusive.

Jesus was a Pharisee,

can you point to some actions and teachings attributable to Jesus that you
consider "clearly went against Pharisaic teachings" ? (for the sake of clarity)
-----in fact ----would some deviance from what you perceive the CARVED IN STONE
Pharisee teachings or party line-----render Jesus NOT PHARISEE?

do you have a citation to support your contention jews have considered ten Egyptian
gods to have been failures or losers in some "battle" The model of the jewish "god" contending with ten Egyptian "gods" does not show up in any literature I have read
Research the Egyptian gods and ancient Egypt cultures and history. I am not saying that the ten plagues did not occur in the order Exodus sets forth. I don't know. Scholars speak both for and against the actual reality of the ten plagues in a row. In either case, all these are disasters that were apt to occur (more or less singly) at one time or another in Egypt.

Forum List

Back