F35 - superfighter or lame duck?

Obama is shooting down our Air Superiority with the F-35....which if it ever does arrive will do so as a target

Obama is shooting down our Air Superiority with the F-35....which if it ever does arrive will do so as a target

The Danes had a flyoff between the Typhoon, F-16 and the F-35A and the F-35 won all categories. The Marines are slowly parking thier AV-8Bs and flying the F-35B and are extactic. The USAF has announced that they are going to have the F-35A go in service by the end of the year.Pilots are in awe of the F-35A and B. I wonder who should be listened to. Why you of course.

But I thought the Marines were rdy for combat.......ooooops...Why not just buy new Hornets
US Marine Corps recovering 'boneyard' Hornets to plug capability gap | IHS Jane's 360
The US Marine Corps (USMC) is having to recover Boeing F/A-18C Hornet combat aircraft from the 'boneyard' at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base (AFB) in Arizona to bridge the delayed introduction into service of the Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), a Boeing official said on 10 June.

Of course, a Boeing rep will say that. Meanwhile, the F-35B has replaced the AV-8B almost completely. The only difference is, the AV-8B is cleared for Combat but it's not even close to the F-35Bs capability. All congress has to do is give the thumbs up and the F-35B is flying in the Middle East. Danged, is that you Senator McCain?

But I thought the Marines were rdy for combat.......ooooops...Why not just buy new Hornets
US Marine Corps recovering 'boneyard' Hornets to plug capability gap | IHS Jane's 360
The US Marine Corps (USMC) is having to recover Boeing F/A-18C Hornet combat aircraft from the 'boneyard' at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base (AFB) in Arizona to bridge the delayed introduction into service of the Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), a Boeing official said on 10 June.

Of course, a Boeing rep will say that. Meanwhile, the F-35B has replaced the AV-8B almost completely. The only difference is, the AV-8B is cleared for Combat but it's not even close to the F-35Bs capability. All congress has to do is give the thumbs up and the F-35B is flying in the Middle East. Danged, is that you Senator McCain?
BS.....again.....they digging planes out of graveyard to survive.....

The Danes had a flyoff between the Typhoon, F-16 and the F-35A and the F-35 won all categories. The Marines are slowly parking thier AV-8Bs and flying the F-35B and are extactic. The USAF has announced that they are going to have the F-35A go in service by the end of the year.Pilots are in awe of the F-35A and B. I wonder who should be listened to. Why you of course.
Thats all been refuted.......2018 at earliest........

Yes, they are trying to survive. There are a few reasons to bring out a reserve ready bird out of DM or whereever the Marines park theirs.

1. The total cost of repair has exceeded 75% over the lifetime of the bird

2. Trading high time (end of life) birds for others that have more flight time left on the Air Frame

3. Getting the number of birds higher in order to do the mission.

These are just 3 of the reasons. The F-18s that they are putting back into service are not boneyarded. The are kept up and can be ready to fly in a matter of hours. Each day, they are preflighted just like they were going on a mission. Then they are buttoned up to keep the sand out of the airframe and engines.

You fly one due to be taken out of service to the facility, park it, preflight the ones you want, fly them home and clean them up. Meanwhile, the one you dropped off is parked and sealed for long term storage.

We have F18C/Ds. F-16Cs, F-15C/Ds, B-52H and Gs and more which are in the ready reserve storage. If we have a Buff crash, they prep one at DM to take it's place.

But you won't find any F-18E/F/Gs in that reserve. Only the older F-18C/Ds which the Marines have a bunch of anyway. The Marines are the red headed step children of the Navy.

That contract was awarded to Boeing in 2014 (it is the C+ reconstitution program) well before F-35B declared IOC. It has nothing to do with F-35B being "ready" it has to do with numbers due to the delayed timeline of the entire program.

You print lot of propaganda and yet its still a hanger queen.....afraid of its shadow.......
Here is some more from that Norwegian pilot training on F-35, I guess nobody told him that an internet warrior on USMB says the plane stays in the hangar.

– Vi må tilpasse oss F-35 – ikke omvendt (We need to adapt to the F-35, not the other way around) |
We who fly the F-35 on a daily basis are able to conclude the following: The aircraft is faster, more maneuverable, has more range, can carry a significantly greater payload and gives the pilot a significantly better situational awareness than what we are used to from the F-16. But we are still in the development phase of the F-35 program. It is therefore only natural that the aircraft still has some teething problems, although critics often use this as «evidence» that the aircraft will never work according to its requirements.

From an operational point of view, the challenge is to get complex systems to talk to each other. What is special about the F-35 program is that they decided to put the aircraft into service before it was fully developed. On the one hand that means some systems are still immature, but on the other hand that allows us to take part in a testing process that is much more comprehensive than anything that has been done before. Here at Luke we find that flaws are corrected as they are discovered, and that the aircraft «maneuvering envelope» is being expanded. That means that I am flying a very different aircraft today than when I started flying only two months ago.

When look back on the program in 2025, I am convinced that Norway and the Norwegian Air Force will have a weapon system that is even more capable than was expected when the government decided to procure the F-35 in 2008.

Hmm who to believe, some pilot actually flying the plane or some guy on the internet who's military experience is regurgitating opinions from blogs? I'll go with the former.

Having seen F-4 Phantoms in combat and doing flybys of my boat in combat. During the flybys you could not hear them coming and they were less than 10 feet off the deck (10 feet above sea level). They just appeared like phantoms and then I heard them and felt the water spray they left behind. No better fighter in my book.

You print lot of propaganda and yet its still a hanger queen.....afraid of its shadow.......
Here is some more from that Norwegian pilot training on F-35, I guess nobody told him that an internet warrior on USMB says the plane stays in the hangar.

– Vi må tilpasse oss F-35 – ikke omvendt (We need to adapt to the F-35, not the other way around) |
We who fly the F-35 on a daily basis are able to conclude the following: The aircraft is faster, more maneuverable, has more range, can carry a significantly greater payload and gives the pilot a significantly better situational awareness than what we are used to from the F-16. But we are still in the development phase of the F-35 program. It is therefore only natural that the aircraft still has some teething problems, although critics often use this as «evidence» that the aircraft will never work according to its requirements.

From an operational point of view, the challenge is to get complex systems to talk to each other. What is special about the F-35 program is that they decided to put the aircraft into service before it was fully developed. On the one hand that means some systems are still immature, but on the other hand that allows us to take part in a testing process that is much more comprehensive than anything that has been done before. Here at Luke we find that flaws are corrected as they are discovered, and that the aircraft «maneuvering envelope» is being expanded. That means that I am flying a very different aircraft today than when I started flying only two months ago.

When look back on the program in 2025, I am convinced that Norway and the Norwegian Air Force will have a weapon system that is even more capable than was expected when the government decided to procure the F-35 in 2008.

Hmm who to believe, some pilot actually flying the plane or some guy on the internet who's military experience is regurgitating opinions from blogs? I'll go with the former.
Those some guys on the net arent just some guys,,,course you would know that if read the articles and were honest

Yes, they are trying to survive. There are a few reasons to bring out a reserve ready bird out of DM or whereever the Marines park theirs.

2. Trading high time (end of life) birds for others that have more flight time left on the Air Frame

These are just 3 of the reasons. The F-18s that they are putting back into service are not boneyarded. The are kept up and can be ready to fly in a matter of hours. Each day, they are preflighted just like they were going on a mission. Then they are buttoned up to keep the sand out of the airframe and engines.

You fly one due to be taken out of service to the facility, park it, preflight the ones you want, fly them home and clean them up. Meanwhile, the one you dropped off is parked and sealed for long term storage.

We have F18C/Ds. F-16Cs, F-15C/Ds, B-52H and Gs and more which are in the ready reserve storage. If we have a Buff crash, they prep one at DM to take it's place.

But you won't find any F-18E/F/Gs in that reserve. Only the older F-18C/Ds which the Marines have a bunch of anyway. The Marines are the red headed step children of the Navy.
Preflighted every day....bs......and the Buff they just dragged out took a while to get back in service, they didnt just call up and fly it right out

Preflighted every day....bs......and the Buff they just dragged out took a while to get back in service, they didnt just call up and fly it right out

We needed another C-124C because there were only two in active service (according to the official record, in 1974, there were none in service but there were two at Elmendorf, AFB). We ran out of airframe time. We flew the high timer to DM, change out the lot time engines, and other things, put them on the new bird and flew it home. Took about a week.

But there are more than one type of AC reserve status. That was just one type. When you end up with too many for your pilots to fly (there is also a pilot shortage from time to time) they can elect to put them in Active Reserve Status where they are treated like active aircraft and get preflighted every day. The Buff was something different. The Buff is controlled by the Salt Treaties. If it were to be on Active Reserve Status, it would count against the Nuclear Capable Bomber list. The Buff cannot be in the ready reserve status. It has to be completely taken off the line and be visible by Satellite to confirm it's non ready status.

Heavies are not fighters. A Fighter can be taken from ready reserve status in about a long day. And they don't count towards the Salt Treaty. They were flown into DM and can be flown out of DM after changing all the fluids, among other things. Many countries would give their eye teeth to get ahold of the F-16s and F-18s in that status. And sometimes, the US will sell a few to friendlys.

Taking the F-18 out of the reserve status is just business as usual. Been going on as long as DM has existed. Many decades before the F-18 was even concieved.

Those some guys on the net arent just some guys,,,course you would know that if read the articles and were honest

Why should anyone else be honest when you aren't.

We needed another C-124C because there were only two in active service (according to the official record, in 1974, there were none in service but there were two at Elmendorf, AFB). We ran out of airframe time. We flew the high timer to DM, change out the lot time engines, and other things, put them on the new bird and flew it home. Took about a week.

But there are more than one type of AC reserve status. That was just one type. When you end up with too many for your pilots to fly (there is also a pilot shortage from time to time) they can elect to put them in Active Reserve Status where they are treated like active aircraft and get preflighted every day. The Buff was something different. The Buff is controlled by the Salt Treaties. If it were to be on Active Reserve Status, it would count against the Nuclear Capable Bomber list. The Buff cannot be in the ready reserve status. It has to be completely taken off the line and be visible by Satellite to confirm it's non ready status.

Heavies are not fighters. A Fighter can be taken from ready reserve status in about a long day. And they don't count towards the Salt Treaty. They were flown into DM and can be flown out of DM after changing all the fluids, among other things. Many countries would give their eye teeth to get ahold of the F-16s and F-18s in that status. And sometimes, the US will sell a few to friendlys.

Taking the F-18 out of the reserve status is just business as usual. Been going on as long as DM has existed. Many decades before the F-18 was even concieved.
Well ya inched closer to the truth....try again......if ya looked at the pick.....no way they are preflighted everyday

Well ya inched closer to the truth....try again......if ya looked at the pick.....no way they are preflighted everyday

Then they are going after the Pickled birds. These can be made flight ready (not combat ready) in only a few days. This has been going on for as long as DM and the Navy/Marine equivalent. This has been going on since 1942.

course you would know that if read the articles and were honest
Here lies your problem, you're all caught up in a bunch of shallow blog posts of the anti-F35 echo chamber, this is why you can never back up any of your claims with any facts.

For example, I showed the F-35 RCS for side and back, which directly contradicts your claim that F-35 is only front aspect stealth. Instead of making any attempt to defend your BS you just tell me to search through a 60 page thread to find it somewhere. Reason = you have no idea what the RCS numbers for F-35 are, you're just regurgitating something you've heard but can't manage anything more.

HOw do you know...you obviously havent read them....btw Janes is one of premier Defense news sites in the world

Flight rdy really isnt good enough is it....even F-35 is flight rdy...combat rdy is the prob

Let's compare the unpickled F-18 to the F-35.

Both won't have all the MODS. ON the F-35 it's called a MOD. On an F-18 flown to it's new home station after it's unpickled it's called TCTO. Both amounts to about the same thing. Now, bright boy Troll, tell me what a TCTO is.

Forum List

Back