Extra Credit in Math if they bring in printer paper!

Or some may not be in a position that they could go and get it either...

And it's not beginning of the years personal supplies we're talking about...
Like I said above, most teachers offer more than one way to earn extra credit. Perhaps this way is a way for the stupider students that can't conjugate spanish verbs for extra credit to earn some.

:thup:

Or some may not be in a position that they could go and get it either...

And it's not beginning of the years personal supplies we're talking about...
Like I said above, most teachers offer more than one way to earn extra credit. Perhaps this way is a way for the stupider students that can't conjugate spanish verbs for extra credit to earn some.

:thup:

:lol: I have no problem as long as every kid has an opportunity to achieve extra credit.

How much extra credit? Five points on one test? For most of my students, that wouldn't make a damn difference on their grade. Its merely a token of appreciation and most kids love it.

Yeah?

What about the kids whose parents cannot pitch in?

How do you suppose that makes them feel?

You mean the ones that are on free/reduced lunch programs?

I don't suppose it makes them feel much differently than they already do.

Yep...but they can certainly go to Walmart and ask them to make a donation to the school of *gasp* printer paper.

So could the leaders at the school, God forbid. :thup:
Yes...but the teachers don't need extra credit. sigh...I don't get the hand wringing over this, seriously.

Sounds to me like one of the adults screwed up and wants to transfer responsibility out of sheer laziness. Go to the fucking store and get some paper and have the kids earn extra credit toward their academic grade for ACADEMICS.

I happen to know what it's like to be the kid in school who can't afford stuff.

The girls tell me that the entire school is out of paper. They've been taking tests online instead of on paper. This was their Spanish teacher who offered the extra credit of 20 points, which isn't very much my daughter tells me.

We discussed the ethics of it. They admitted it was a little unethical. The teacher is a very fine man, rather a Bohemian Christian musician type, so he has an artistic personality. He and his family live way out, and have to snowmobile to their house in winter.

Well, how would your girls know "the entire school is out of paper?"

My guess is that the budget for the school has been cut, because many school districts rely on local property taxes for funding their operational expense budget. These property taxes are based on home value, which has dramatically declined. The paper budget has been cut.

Frankly, I'm not sure why parents feel they cannot afford a paper and pencil.

Last edited:
So could the leaders at the school, God forbid. :thup:
Yes...but the teachers don't need extra credit. sigh...I don't get the hand wringing over this, seriously.

Sounds to me like one of the adults screwed up and wants to transfer responsibility out of sheer laziness. Go to the fucking store and get some paper and have the kids earn extra credit toward their academic grade for ACADEMICS.

So do I...but I could catch toads...and I did.

A teacher comes up with a creative response to something that is beyond her control (the school's budget) and you rightwingloons jump all over it. :cuckoo:

A teacher comes up with a creative response to something that is beyond her control (the school's budget) and you rightwingloons jump all over it. :cuckoo:

My opinion on this topic is not political. :cuckoo:

Again, academic grades should be earned for ACADEMICS.

How much extra credit? Five points on one test? For most of my students, that wouldn't make a damn difference on their grade. Its merely a token of appreciation and most kids love it.

Yeah?

Yep. Some kids wear nicer shoes too.

If these are teenagers, they are not going to lose any self esteem over this. Believe it or not, teens have bigger issues to fret about. Esp the poor ones. My students are grateful to those who donate tissues that they too may use.

Today I rewarded my students for doing really well on their Macbeth test. I told them they could use their Ipods and cell phones the last ten mins of class. Maybe that was discriminatory. Some kid might have felt bad if his phone was cheaper. Sheez. Maybe we should eliminate rewards all together.

My opinion on this topic is not political. :cuckoo:

Again, academic grades should be earned for ACADEMICS.
It is rather difficult to engage in academics without paper.

I don't think that would fly today, but I know of plenty of teachers who use students to babysit and whatnot who may get some extra points at the end of the marking period.

How many parents do their kids' science projects or type their research papers? They often get a better grade. That's life.

I don't think that would fly today, but I know of plenty of teachers who use students to babysit and whatnot who may get some extra points at the end of the marking period.

How many parents do their kids' science projects or type their research papers? They often get a better grade. That's life.
When my kids did their elementary school science fair projects it was very obvious which parents "helped". I asked the teacher to let the parents just compete with each other the following year and cut the kiddies out. :lol:

Yeah?

Yep. Some kids wear nicer shoes too.

If these are teenagers, they are not going to lose any self esteem over this. Believe it or not, teens have bigger issues to fret about. Esp the poor ones. My students are grateful to those who donate tissues that they too may use.

Today I rewarded my students for doing really well on their Macbeth test. I told them they could use their Ipods and cell phones the last ten mins of class. Maybe that was discriminatory. Some kid might have felt bad if his phone was cheaper. Sheez. Maybe we should eliminate rewards all together.

I once hung a bunch of bananas in the front of the room and gave them out for rewards.

The girls tell me that the entire school is out of paper. They've been taking tests online instead of on paper. This was their Spanish teacher who offered the extra credit of 20 points, which isn't very much my daughter tells me.

We discussed the ethics of it. They admitted it was a little unethical. The teacher is a very fine man, rather a Bohemian Christian musician type, so he has an artistic personality. He and his family live way out, and have to snowmobile to their house in winter.

Well, how would your girls know "the entire school is out of paper?"

My guess is that the budget for the school has been cut, because many school districts rely on local property taxes for funding their operational expense budget. These property taxes are based on home value, which has dramatically declined. The paper budget has been cut.

Frankly, I'm not sure why parents feel they cannot afford a paper and pencil.

Property taxes remain artificially inflated from the real estate boom from 2 or 3 years ago, actually.

We ran out of white paper one year (in June) and had to use colored paper instead. There was a near mutiny in my building. Personally, I prefer colored paper. But no one has made that mistake again.

Our budget is $45 million. I'm not sure how much they allot for paper, but budget cuts would be no excuse. It's a drop in the bucket.

Somebody really dropped the ball. :eusa_eh:

Yeah?

Probably not.

But it makes them feel that way again.

And besides, why should a kid's grades improve just because their parents can donate money to the school?

It is also wrong for that reason.

Forum List

Back