Extra Credit in Math if they bring in printer paper!

Because that's life. The kid with the better calculator may get better grades in math. The kid with the smart girlfriend may get better grades on his homework. The kid who can afford an SAT prep program may get higher scores.

I don't think extra credit will make a difference in whether a kid gets into Harvard or not. But his parents' connections may.

There is no "social justice" in education. Having no paper, or no calculators, or no computers, etc. might be a likely solution to that. Be careful what you wish for.

So an injustice is okay because that's just life?

I'll remember THAT theory of social justice that when people start whining about the fact the rich pay more taxes and how unfair that is.

It's not a perfect world. I'm a pragmatist.

The "social justice/equity in education" folks are trying to handicap the best and the brightest in the interest of "fairness". If a kid has no access at home to the internet, then NO students should have to do research. If a kid has no money for a field trip, then NO students should be able to go on the field trip, etc.

We still don't know how much extra credit is being given for this paper. But how much does a ream cost? Five dollars? Most teens could come up with that themselves if it meant that much to them.

Because that's life. The kid with the better calculator may get better grades in math. The kid with the smart girlfriend may get better grades on his homework. The kid who can afford an SAT prep program may get higher scores.

I don't think extra credit will make a difference in whether a kid gets into Harvard or not. But his parents' connections may.

There is no "social justice" in education. Having no paper, or no calculators, or no computers, etc. might be a likely solution to that. Be careful what you wish for.

where does personal responsibility start? Scientific calculators for school affairs are starting by 4$. It´s not the 70ths anymore when a calculator wasn´t avaiable under 100$. The internet, e.g. youtube is full with any kind of free help, tutorial movies, example math tasks and so on. I think, doing good grades in school must be today easier than ever and that´s without using the new technologies for cheating.

I think public schools should strive to give everyone an equal chance at an education. Which is another reason I have no problem with the teacher giving extra credit for bringing in printing paper. The one that brings in the paper is actually HELPING achieve the goal of educating the class.

And that deserves credit.

If the school is having paper problems, they will have toner problems if the paper problem is solved. Toner is way more expensive than paper.

Solution? Kids bring their own paper and copy the problems or parents get together and have a paper and toner fundraiser.

BTW, schools have had massive cutbacks in the form of non-payment, especially in the states like IL.

Illinois school districts waiting on state money

Sheena Dooley The Quad-City Times | Posted: Monday, January 4, 2010 10:56 pm |

Total missed payments by district

Moline-Coal Valley School District: $2.2 million

Rock Island-Milan School District: $1.6 million

East Moline School District: $1.1 million

United Township High School District: $783,355

Largest funding categories and amount of statewide delays

Mandated categoricals (including special education, transportation and free lunch and breakfast programs): $523 million

Early childhood grants: $80 million

Textbooks: $30 million

Career tech education: $19 million

Total owed to Illinois schools: $757 million

Illinois has yet to pay school districts the money it owes them for such programs as special education and preschool, among other things.

A $4.2 billion backlog in unpaid state bills is stretching the budgets of already-cash-strapped school districts, which have yet to receive the $757 million owed to them this fiscal year, according to the Illinois State Board of Education. The money funds a handful of programs, including career tech education, textbooks and bilingual education, and it also covers transportation costs...

and it's not just schools, some vendors have been waiting more than 18 months for payments:

Illinois Is Broke | Vendors

Good ideas. But that won't help the kids next week. This teacher and his students need paper immediately. Incentivizing people to pitch in right now is a simple
solution to a really big problem in the interim. I think the adults here don't understand how subjective grading can be. Guess what folks. Most teachers can give a few extra points to the poor kid at the end of the MP too. And those kind of decisions are not considered "unethical" in the profession. They are based entirely on the merits of the
student; not the parent.

I don't see how it is unethical. I got extra credit in biology for bringing in toads to dissect.

It's unethical, because "extra credit" (at least when I went to school) means you did something "extra" to "further your knowledge in the subject". Bringing in paper isn't teaching you anything more in the subject of math.

Good ideas. But that won't help the kids next week. This teacher and his students need paper immediately. Incentivizing people to pitch in right now is a simple
solution to a really big problem in the interim. I think the adults here don't understand how subjective grading can be. Guess what folks. Most teachers can give a few extra points to the poor kid at the end of the MP too. And those kind of decisions are not considered "unethical" in the profession. They are based entirely on the merits of the
student; not the parent.

how about sponsoring? I´ve heard that it´s easier at you than here. Here´s any advertismement at school, including sponsoring, strictly forbidden. Couldn´t that be a way?

Forum List

Back