Zone1 Expectations and Desires and Happiness.

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
In Buddhism, people are taught to strip themselves of both expectations and desires, because they believe both lead to unhappiness. They believe that stripping themselves of both desire and expectations is the only way to have gratitude, which is the key to happiness.

Not being a Buddhist, I reject the notion we should strip our lives of desires, but being a Christian I think not having expectations is spot on.

Put another way, having expectations is only opening you to premeditated resentment, which someone like Job in the Bible could attest to being truth.

What say you?

In Buddhism, people are taught to strip themselves of both expectations and desires, because they believe both lead to unhappiness. They believe that stripping themselves of both desire and expectations is the only way to have gratitude, which is the key to happiness.

Not being a Buddhist, I reject the notion we should strip our lives of desires, but being a Christian I think not having expectations is spot on.

Put another way, having expectations is only opening you to premeditated resentment, which someone like Job in the Bible could attest to being truth.

What say you?
You should be free to pursue your dreams and potential. Anyone denying that of someone else is evil.

Last edited:
You should be free to pursue your dreans and potential. Anyone denying that of someone else is evil.
Agreed.

To not have desire is to not be, which is essentially what I think Buddhism is striving for, to mentally become nonexistent.

Thanks by no thanks. I'll take a pass on that.

Of course, if you don't exist I reckon that ends suffering as well.

LOL.

Agreed.

To not have desire is to not be, which is essentially what I think Buddhism is striving for, to mentally become nonexistent.

Thanks by no thanks. I'll take a pass on that.

Of course, if you don't exist I reckon that ends suffering as well.

LOL.
There is nothing wrong at all with being content and even passive. It must be a personal choice though.

Someone once told me that "happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you get".

If I place conditions on what I'm expecting to get, then there is a good chance I will be disappointed (and therefore unhappy), because those expectations might not be met.

If I have no conditions on what I receive, then whatever I get I'm satisfied (happy) with.

Someone once told me that "happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you get".

If I place conditions on what I'm expecting to get, then there is a good chance I will be disappointed (and therefore unhappy), because those expectations might not be met.

If I have no conditions on what I receive, then whatever I get I'm satisfied (happy) with.
So, if you get cancer, for example, you should embrace and want it?

I think that misses the mark, but I understand what you are trying to say.

Speaking of religions/cults and the topic at hand, I think the Left is polar opposite of what I believe. I believe that we should not shun desire but rather shun expectation but the Left teaches that we should shun desire and embrace expectation.

That is because the Left is all about entitlement as entitlements should supersede everything else in life.

And, of course, there is the Climate cult that would sacrifice all of our very lives to get their agendas across.

They could care less about personal desires.

So, if you get cancer, for example, you should embrace and want it?

I think that misses the mark, but I understand what you are trying to say.

No. Wanting cancer or any other disease (especially ones with a high mortality rate) isn't really what I'd be suggesting.

However........................

Embracing it, and realizing that you actually have a problem will result in your taking steps towards rectifying it. Denial of the disease or saying that it's not as bad as it is, is a sure fire way to let it take you quicker. Knowing there's a problem and accepting it happened gives a person a bit of a better view of it than denial. And, the acceptance of it will also help in seeking out solutions. But, that's kind of a balancing act. You need to accept the situation, but also not let it drag you down into thinking that nothing can be done about it.

And yeah, believe it or not, I pretty much accept, as well as want most things in my life. But, I can't change things I don't really wish to have unless I accept that I have them first.

Forum List

Back