Exercise Tip

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have been exercising regularly for 40 years. Initially I just started running, then I add weight training and other fun stuff. More recently, I've come to the conclusion that distance running is not good for old people, so I've pretty much stopped that (now I do intervals).

However,

I recently started a new routine that focuses on the big muscles in my legs. Nothing radical, but moderate weights doing dumbell squats, lunges, leg presses, and "good mornings."

In the past I've done leg curls, leg extensions, and calf raises (still do some), but the squats, lunges, and leg presses are new for me.

The results are truly remarkable. My quickness and running speed (playing tennis) are dramatically improved. Going up stairs is easier. I can ride my bike harder and I don't have to go to as low a gear on hills as I did a couple months ago. It is very noticable.

Bottom line: Don't neglect them there big muscles in your legs. I hate doing lunges, but these results have made me a believer.

Squats are the best for your lower body.

Biking is also really good for your legs.

I also like to wear ankle weights and perform various body weight exercises.

Running is one of the worst exercises you can do. It's bad on the Hips, Knees, Ankles and Feet. Most people run the wrong way anyway, heel to toe.

HIIT is much better for you and much less time consuming.

I used to be a runner but it really is bad for joints. And loved racquetball but its just as bad.

But, you're right about squats and lunges.

Since having a knee replaced - torn meniscus - I have worked so hard to make sure I won't have to have the other one done. And, getting older, I have a real fear of being the old person who has fallen and can't get up.

So yeah, I really work on leg muscles as well as the rest of me.

I have been exercising regularly for 40 years. Initially I just started running, then I add weight training and other fun stuff. More recently, I've come to the conclusion that distance running is not good for old people, so I've pretty much stopped that (now I do intervals).

However,

I recently started a new routine that focuses on the big muscles in my legs. Nothing radical, but moderate weights doing dumbell squats, lunges, leg presses, and "good mornings."

In the past I've done leg curls, leg extensions, and calf raises (still do some), but the squats, lunges, and leg presses are new for me.

The results are truly remarkable. My quickness and running speed (playing tennis) are dramatically improved. Going up stairs is easier. I can ride my bike harder and I don't have to go to as low a gear on hills as I did a couple months ago. It is very noticable.

Bottom line: Don't neglect them there big muscles in your legs. I hate doing lunges, but these results have made me a believer.

I am an exercise addict, and I find lunges are very effective. I use dumb bells when I do lunges, and you can really feel the burn in your thighs and butt!!! :) I do a lot of isometric exercises without weights too, just using force against pressure or your own body weight.

The best way to stay fit for your entire life is to lift (heavy) weights using compound exercises. Low reps, heavy weight. I prefer 5 sets of 5 reps. Start with a very low weight (50% of your maximum) and add 5 lbs each time until you start to fail. You'll lose fat and add muscle.

Squats
Dead lifts
Bench Press
Overhead Press
Rows
Pull ups
Dips

That's all you need. 3 x a week for no more than 30-45 minutes at a tome. No need for curls or crunches or any of that isolation nonsense.

Any exercise that you do beyond that should be strictly for fun. If you enjoy running or biking - run and bike! Just do it outdoors, not like a slave on a dreadmill.

:thup:

Yoga "strengthens your body"? You would have to check me off as being skeptical on that one. And I think a session of doing yoga is only that: a "session." calling it a "workout" is like describing shooting pool as "exercise."

Aside from simply stretching the muscles that need stretching, I am a big supporter of Tai Chi. I describe it as "the opposite of exercise." At the end of a Tai Chi session I feel invigorated, which is just the opposite of how I feel at the end of a workout.

I assume this is why people do Tai Chi in the morning.

Yoga is more than just stretching and relaxation. Daily yoga practice includes a comprehensive system that builds strength in the body and mind. My journey in yoga has been from weakness to strength in every sense possible. There are some key postures that helped me access the deep reservoir of inner fortitude that every person contains within. The 10 postures outlined below will help you develop the strength and stamina needed to truly build core power in your yoga practice. If you feel any of these postures are too easy, just hold the posture for one full minute while maintaining healthy alignment to test your strength and steadiness of mind and body. There are so many amazing postures that build strength in yoga that it was hard to choose the top 10, but I've selected postures that contain the foundational alignment and strength needed to master many more advanced postures. The 10 postures below contain the basics of all the strength work in yoga and its application to daily life. If you integrate regular practice of these 10 postures into your yoga practice you can experience a steady development of strength that will last your entire life. Strong, flexible muscles help keep your body youthful and your mind energetic. Practice with diligence and be patient.

Top 10 Yoga Postures for Strength Kino MacGregor

The best way to stay fit for your entire life is to lift (heavy) weights using compound exercises. Low reps, heavy weight. I prefer 5 sets of 5 reps. Start with a very low weight (50% of your maximum) and add 5 lbs each time until you start to fail. You'll lose fat and add muscle.

Squats
Dead lifts
Bench Press
Overhead Press
Rows
Pull ups
Dips

That's all you need. 3 x a week for no more than 30-45 minutes at a tome. No need for curls or crunches or any of that isolation nonsense.

Any exercise that you do beyond that should be strictly for fun. If you enjoy running or biking - run and bike! Just do it outdoors, not like a slave on a dreadmill.

I prefer lunges to squats. I feel them much more in my butt. I can do tons of squats and not feel it nearly as much as I do with lunges. I do slow lunges with weights though. For some reason when I try to squats with weights, my hands hurt and my fingers go numb sometimes.

I prefer lunges to squats. I feel them much more in my butt. I can do tons of squats and not feel it nearly as much as I do with lunges. I do slow lunges with weights though. For some reason when I try to squats with weights, my hands hurt and my fingers go numb sometimes.

For squats to be effective, you have to use heavy weights, with good form.

Its totally worth it.

That's probably why you aren't feeling it in your ass when you are doing your squats. Just add more weight, so your reps aren't so easy. Then just maintain perfect form. You'll totally feel it.

And use a squat rack, so you can safely experiment with heavier weight. And don't try to use your hands or your back to lift the weights. Use your legs to lift.

For squats to be effective, you have to use heavy weights, with good form.

Its totally worth it.

That's probably why you aren't feeling it in your ass when you are doing your squats. Just add more weight, so your reps aren't so easy. Then just maintain perfect form. You'll totally feel it.

And use a squat rack, so you can safely experiment with heavier weight. And don't try to use your hands or your back to lift the weights. Use your legs to lift.

Another thing is that sometimes I feel it in my thighs much more than in my butt.

Running is one of the worst exercises you can do. It's bad on the Hips, Knees, Ankles and Feet. Most people run the wrong way anyway, heel to toe.

HIIT is much better for you and much less time consuming.

Running is great exercise if you are not overweight and you don't really over do it. I run 15 to 25 miles per week. Every now and then I get in a seven mile run, but usually I stick with five mile runs. I also switch it up every now and then and just run a fast 5K just slightly below race pace. A fast 5k for me is around 23:30. Race pace is around 22:00. During the winter, I tend to run more intervals since I am stuck doing most of my running on a treadmill. I try not to run too much during the winter, so I spend a good deal of time on the ARC Trainer.

Squats
Dead lifts
Bench Press
Overhead Press
Rows
Pull ups
Dips

I do weights three times per week along with running. Any exercise program that ignores weights is a bad program, especially the older you get. Keeping muscle mass as we age is a problem for everyone. Lifting weights will help reduce that loss of muscle mass.

Forum List

Back