Excluding Evidence

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Ok, I've been thinking about this for a while, and I've just gotta say something, so here I am, on my tiny, internet soap box.

Is it just me, or is the idea of excluding illegally obtained evidence the dumbest thing our justice department has thought up since dumping a confession because the suspect claims he didn't know about his right against self-incrimination (interestingly, you do have a right to incriminate yourself just as much as you have a right not to, an idea lost on so many judges). So, let's get this straight. A guy murders a 12-year old child. The cops think they have a good lead, so they go to question the suspect. They see a gun in his apartment that matches the gun in the case, so they grab it. Ballistics comes back and says it is, in fact, the gun that killed the poor victim and has the suspect's fingerprints all over it, and nobody else's. The police get a search warrant and search his house. They find some of the victim's belongings, some of the rope used to tie up the victim, blood evidence from the victim on the suspect's clothes, and a crystal-clear video of the suspect killing the victim. Presented with this overwhelming evidence, the suspect signs a full confession and leads the cops straight to the victim's body.

Enter the lawyers. Whoever is appointed this scumbag's lawyer will first gripe about how he is only now there, even though the suspect had, until that point, denied his right to council. Now, let's assume that those asinine claims are thrown out. What about the gun? The perp could claim the gun wasn't actually in plain sight, as the cops claim. Maybe the gun was under a pile of clothes and the cops only saw the muzzle or maybe the outline. A judge might conclude that the gun didn't follow plain sight guidelines, in which case the cops needed a search warrant. So the cops acted innappropriately, so what would a reasonable person do? That's right, punish the cops, but who said our justice system was reasonable? What they do is say that the gun can't be used as evidence because it was obtained illegally. Then enters the 'fruit of the poisoned vine' effect. This means that any evidence uncovered because of the illegally obtained evidence is also excluded. That means the victim's belongings, the blood evidence, the rope, the video, the confession and the victim's body also cannot be used as evidence at trial. The guy is undeniably guilty, but no jury will ever know that because the evidence against him is 'illegal.' This guy will walk away, scot free. He got away with it once, he'll do it again. Even criminals who go to jail are quite likely to commit the same crime again after they get out. Within a year or two, this guy will kill some other mother's child, a death that could easily have been avoided if all the evidence against him wasn't ruled 'inadmissable.' Yes, people have a constitutional right against search and seziure. However, we usually punish the person who violates another person's rights, not society as a whole. Unleashing a dangerous killer on the streets because the cops mess up their evidence gathering techniques is like shooting a member of the audience every time a broadway star misses a note.

And this isn't an unrealistic scenario. A child-killer was once incarcerated a was being transported by the cops. When they got him in the back of the cop car, one of the cops appealed to the last remaining humanity in the killer, stating that the parents deserved to bury their daughter, and that the coming snow would make the dumping site nearly impossible to find. He didn't threaten. He didn't accuse. He simply layed down a short sob story about some parents being able to bury their daughter. When they passed the site, the killer had a moment of humanity and showe dthe cops the body. The guy's conviction was later overturned because he didn't have a lawyer present when the cop gave the sob story. He killed again. And this evidenciary exclusion technique isn't some sacred, age-old tradition (wouldn't matter if it would, as the libs always like to pounce on 'primitive' behavior) either. It's been introduced within the past 50 years, right before an explosion in the crime rate in the 60s and 70s.

So, am I completely off base? Am I the only one who thinks this is stupid? Tell me if I'm wrong here.

Police have to follow the law and abide by the Constitution. They have to follow procedures correctly and within the law. They can't cheat. Unfortunately, when police screw up, society sometimes pays for it. Police officers are well-trained in the proper procedures, if we start giving them free passes and allowing illegally obtained evidence into trials we lose the fairness in our justice system.

BTW, your scenario couldn't happen because if the cops go to the apartment to question the guy and are let in, anything they see in the open is fair game.

acludem

acludem said:
Police have to follow the law and abide by the Constitution. They have to follow procedures correctly and within the law. They can't cheat. Unfortunately, when police screw up, society sometimes pays for it. Police officers are well-trained in the proper procedures, if we start giving them free passes and allowing illegally obtained evidence into trials we lose the fairness in our justice system.

BTW, your scenario couldn't happen because if the cops go to the apartment to question the guy and are let in, anything they see in the open is fair game.

acludem

Until some judge decides they didn't really see it and it wasn't really in the open. It's happened before.

Now look, I'm all for protecting the rights of everyone, down to the lowest of the low, but that includes the rights of average citizens to not be murdered. Discipline the cops, the prosecutor, or whoever. Discipline everybody involved in the illegal search, but don't let another murder loose on society and penalize his next set of victims just to obtain an arbitrary sense of fairness out of the justice system. This system worked for years and it never EVER caused cops to go out and obtain illegal evidence, risking their jobs and pensions. It never resulted in innocent people going to jail. It also never resulted in murderers claiming more victims based on a technicality because some judge thinks it's better to let the guy go than to allow evidence that wasn't obtained in a painstaking manner.

And it also isn't "innocent people being caught in the crossfire." Given the chance that the person will kill again, we might as well save some time by firing a revolver with 5 bullets at a crowd and throwing him in jail if it hits somebody.

ACLUdem - if you were forced to place a priority on one or the other, would your consider 'the law' or 'justice' more important?

dmp said:
ACLUdem - if you were forced to place a priority on one or the other, would your consider 'the law' or 'justice' more important?

This kind of crap is the same way the Talmud perverts the torah. Talmudic scholars appreciate clever lies.

rtwngAvngr said:
This kind of crap is the same way the Talmud perverts the torah. Talmudic scholars appreciate clever lies.

The Talmud ALSO asks ACLUdem if he'd be more concerned about 'the law' than 'justice'? Holy Jaweh!! Does that mean the Talmud FORETOLD my asking that question??

The ClayTaurus said:
Warrants should be easier to obtain than they are. That'd clear up a lot of problems.
Easy to abtain here, just a phone call away. As long as there is cause.

Hobbit...you can do way better that that. First paragraph is way beyond reallity IMO.

The ClayTaurus said:
You need to be quarantined.

Check it out for yourself. Get educated instead of relying on your Politically Correct programming.

I agree that its not right for the victims and their families to be denied their right to bring justice to perps just because some proceedures weren't followed. As long as the evidence wasn't tampered with it should be able to be used in court.

I still fail to understand why liberals are so adamant about defending criminals in our country. They seem to believe that no one is actually 'evil' (unless his name is Bush), and everyone can be rehabilitated and released back into society. They do not adhere to the common sense idea of locking dangerous criminals up for life (or executing) in order to prevent that person commiting those crimes again in society. Liberals do everything they can to soften the criminal justice system and free criminals out onto the streets. I do not see their logic in the matter, I think it comes down to them seeing the way conservatives feel about the matter, and they feel compelled to just do the oppisite. Liberals would rather the government spend money on income distribution than on prisons to keep us safe.

Mr. P said:
Easy to abtain here, just a phone call away. As long as there is cause.

Hobbit...you can do way better that that. First paragraph is way beyond reallity IMO.

Warrants are just a phone call away in all places that I know of. As for the hypothetical posited by Hobbit... not quite right. There are exceptions to the requirement of a warrant. Among those are: consensual search, items in plain view and exigent circumstances. These would cover the gun in plain view as well as the additional facts set forth in Hobbit's post.

As for Miranda, it doesn't kick in except under "custodial interrogation". That term has been defined pretty broadly in favor of law enforcement.

As much as people like to moan about the exclusionary rule, without it, there is no reason for the police NOT to violate the law.

theHawk said:
I agree that its not right for the victims and their families to be denied their right to bring justice to perps just because some proceedures weren't followed. As long as the evidence wasn't tampered with it should be able to be used in court.

I still fail to understand why liberals are so adamant about defending criminals in our country. They seem to believe that no one is actually 'evil' (unless his name is Bush), and everyone can be rehabilitated and released back into society. They do not adhere to the common sense idea of locking dangerous criminals up for life (or executing) in order to prevent that person commiting those crimes again in society. Liberals do everything they can to soften the criminal justice system and free criminals out onto the streets. I do not see their logic in the matter, I think it comes down to them seeing the way conservatives feel about the matter, and they feel compelled to just do the oppisite. Liberals would rather the government spend money on income distribution than on prisons to keep us safe.
So do away with reasonable cause, and search warrants then?
Let the storm troopers free?

The law is structured to give the accused a fair hearing/trail, not to appease the desire of the masses.

I still fail to understand why liberals are so adamant about defending criminals in our country.
Just a reminder, We still follow the innocent until proven guilty stuff.

jillian said:
As much as people like to moan about the exclusionary rule, without it, there is no reason for the police NOT to violate the law.

Not true. We could let the evidence in, convict the criminal, then find some other way to discipline the police, like fire them, fine them, or jail THEM. The exclusionary rule certainly isn't mandated by the Constitution, it's a judicial remedy that was dreamed up a while ago and continues 'til today.

William Joyce said:
Not true. We could let the evidence in, convict the criminal, then find some other way to discipline the police, like fire them, fine them, or jail THEM. The exclusionary rule certainly isn't mandated by the Constitution, it's a judicial remedy that was dreamed up a while ago and continues 'til today.

I agree that the "remedy" wasn't set forth in the Constitution. But sometimes we have to do things to implement the things the Constitution DOES mandate.

I like your ideas. But what do you think the chances are of anyone holding cops accountable for violating the Fourth Amendment? I think they're kind of slim. Also, what if a search yields no evidence at all. Then since there won't be any Court proceeding, there's not, in all likelihood, going to be any follow-up. So we're left with a circumstance where, worst case scenario, police will feel free to act with impunity.

Given that everyone is still presumed innocent, allowing police access to our homes without probable cause clearly violates the Fourth. And the exclusionary rule has already been eaten down to its bare bones.

acludem said:

acludem

Just how do we lose "the fairness" of our justice system by letting some scumbag walk on a stupid technicality? Seems to me, what we lose are the loopholes criminals use to get off the hook.

Prior to the 1950s, no evidence was excluded from courts unless it was prejudicial or had been proven to be false or altered in some way. The right against search and seziure was protected by, *gasp*, harsh penalties levied against police who violated that right. For almost 200 years, no stormtroopers were kicking down doors because they knew they risked losing their pensions. Now, the cops have to walk on eggshells just to keep a dangerous killer from killing again.

As for the first paragraph, it can happen. Granted, that's a pretty extreme case, but under the current rules of excluding evidence, it's entirely possible.

I also still fail to grasp how allowing an innocent victim to die because the case against a known murderer was based on evidence that a judge decided wasn't legal serves justice in any way. I've even heard of some judges declaring that a search warrant was invalid and excluding evidence obtained with that search warrant.

Once again, I really cannot understand what can possibly make any sane person think it's a good idea to let known killers and rapists run around free because of a little sloppy police work.

Hobbit said:
Prior to the 1950s, no evidence was excluded from courts unless it was prejudicial or had been proven to be false or altered in some way. The right against search and seziure was protected by, *gasp*, harsh penalties levied against police who violated that right. For almost 200 years, no stormtroopers were kicking down doors because they knew they risked losing their pensions. Now, the cops have to walk on eggshells just to keep a dangerous killer from killing again.

As for the first paragraph, it can happen. Granted, that's a pretty extreme case, but under the current rules of excluding evidence, it's entirely possible.

I also still fail to grasp how allowing an innocent victim to die because the case against a known murderer was based on evidence that a judge decided wasn't legal serves justice in any way. I've even heard of some judges declaring that a search warrant was invalid and excluding evidence obtained with that search warrant.

Once again, I really cannot understand what can possibly make any sane person think it's a good idea to let known killers and rapists run around free because of a little sloppy police work.

Liberals are bent on destroying our American system of justice any way they possibly can so they can install their own system of justice - which is very subjective of course - as is any totalitarian system of justice. For the past 50 years the radical left has been actively chipping away at American justice.

That is why so many things do not make sense....why so many criminals are being set loose on the public when they should be behind bars. Defending the indefensible is the liberal mantra. The more they can disrupt our system and our society, the better chance they have to destroy America and install their nwo.

It's the other way around. The Radical Fascist Right has, for the past three decades, been trying to install a totalitarian police state in place of our fair "innocent until proven guilty" justice system.

acludem

ScreamingEagle said:
Liberals are bent on destroying our American system of justice any way they possibly can so they can install their own system of justice - which is very subjective of course - as is any totalitarian system of justice. For the past 50 years the radical left has been actively chipping away at American justice.

That is why so many things do not make sense....why so many criminals are being set loose on the public when they should be behind bars. Defending the indefensible is the liberal mantra. The more they can disrupt our system and our society, the better chance they have to destroy America and install their nwo.

If what you're saying is true, how do you explain so many innocent people going to jail who were later freed by the Innocence Project?

Forum List

Back