Excel question

MsnBama

Gold Member
Jul 24, 2015
New England
I have a decent working knowledge of excel functions and formulas but I am curious if anyone around here is an "expert". I am trying to find out if I can set a formula that automatically adjusts per row (because the values change in each row) instead of manually entering, I just don't have that kind of time.

I.e. SUM(J2/I2) that automatically changes the row for the entire column.

Semi complicated, I know, but I am working with a large sheet and that might make it easier. If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it. I can even remove identifying information and post a page if that would help understanding what I am referring to.

I thought there was a function in the Pivot table?

By no means am I an expert lol.. Excel is such a powerful program

-Geaux

I have a decent working knowledge of excel functions and formulas but I am curious if anyone around here is an "expert". I am trying to find out if I can set a formula that automatically adjusts per row (because the values change in each row) instead of manually entering, I just don't have that kind of time.

Semi complicated, I know, but I am working with a large sheet and that might make it easier. If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it. I can even remove identifying information and post a page if that would help understanding what I am referring to.

Yes and no.

Is the adjustment done on a predictable basis or is it based on a formula somewhere else in the spreadsheet?

For example, if you're making a spreadsheet that shows the "out the door" costs of a product at different tax rates--that is predictable. Simply put a column into the sheet with the different rates and boom; you're there.

If the adjustment is based on other criteria, you have options to link to other spreadsheets (either on the C drive or folder on the server). One thing I was usually successful with before my Assistant took over the creation....hidden rows with tons of data.

Yes and no.

Is the adjustment done on a predictable basis or is it based on a formula somewhere else in the spreadsheet?

For example, if you're making a spreadsheet that shows the "out the door" costs of a product at different tax rates--that is predictable. Simply put a column into the sheet with the different rates and boom; you're there.

If the adjustment is based on other criteria, you have options to link to other spreadsheets (either on the C drive or folder on the server). One thing I was usually successful with before my Assistant took over the creation....hidden rows with tons of data.
What a crock!

Yes and no.

What a crock!

Feel free to show your expertise.

Yes and no.

Unfortunately, my "assistant" is more of a floater and I highly doubt she has enough knowledge of excel to be of any real help. She's more suited for data entry anyway.

My issue is that the formula needs to stay the same down through the column but with different rows being computed in each field, if that makes any sense. It's becoming obnoxious and I just about have the entire spreadsheet formatted manually now anyway. Data entry into this f-er should be simple, but this isn't my job and has eaten up time I needed to spend elsewhere.

Thanks for the help though.

Yes and no.

Unfortunately, my "assistant" is more of a floater and I highly doubt she has enough knowledge of excel to be of any real help. She's more suited for data entry anyway.

My issue is that the formula needs to stay the same down through the column but with different rows being computed in each field, if that makes any sense. It's becoming obnoxious and I just about have the entire spreadsheet formatted manually now anyway. Data entry into this f-er should be simple, but this isn't my job and has eaten up time I needed to spend elsewhere.

Thanks for the help though.
Did you try the one that I gave you? I sent your request to my wife ( an excel expert ), and she e-mailed me the one that I gave you.

Did you try the one that I gave you? I sent your request to my wife ( an excel expert ), and she e-mailed me the one that I gave you.

That's actually an error code for when the values for the division being requested are not entered.It's a rush and hacked up looking page but the picture if of two tables, one with the information necessary to complete the sheet and the second (very bottom and with dates from 2014) is one that exhibits that DIV error you mentioned.

Hopefully that makes sense.....

Attachments

• both.png
    both.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 101
Not sure what you mean. Can't you just c&p the formula to the cell where you want it?

No, not when the column remains the same but the row doesn't and the value within the cell is also going to vary. I wanted to format an entire column with the same formula but for different rows, I don't think it is possible but it would have been nice.

That's actually an error code for when the values for the division being requested are not entered.It's a rush and hacked up looking page but the picture if of two tables, one with the information necessary to complete the sheet and the second (very bottom and with dates from 2014) is one that exhibits that DIV error you mentioned.

She probably misunderstood the message I sent her. Sorry.

That's actually an error code for when the values for the division being requested are not entered.It's a rush and hacked up looking page but the picture is of two (three actually) tables, one with the information necessary to complete the sheet and the second (very bottom and with dates from 2014) is one that exhibits that DIV error you mentioned.

She probably misunderstood the message I sent her. Sorry.

It's okay. I appreciate you trying to help. :)

I can't really understand what you are tying to do. Have you posted your question on an excel messageboard?

I could probably help but I'd need to see the spreadsheet to and speak to you to really understand what you are trying to do.

I could probably help but I'd need to see the spreadsheet to and speak to you to really understand what you are trying to do.

I would extremely appreciate the help. I'm not in my office again until Monday but if you can message me your email I will send the sheets then.

Here again I am not sure what you are looking for. If you have SUM(J2/12) and you want SUM(K2/12) and on there is a handle in the bottom right corner. If you pull that across it will give you J2, K2, L2, and on. If you pull that handle down you will get J2, J3, J4 and on.

Hope this helps.

Forum List

Back