Everyone talks about Maholmes passing, but what about his running?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
He doesn't look pretty when he's running, but he is fast and really shifty. He's also a big guy at almost 230 pounds he never seems to take a hard hit. Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson look pretty when they run and are probably faster but I think Maholmes is the more effective runner. He showed that last night making the big plays with his legs when the game was on the line.

He doesn't look pretty when he's running, but he is fast and really shifty. He's also a big guy at almost 230 pounds he never seems to take a hard hit. Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson look pretty when they run and are probably faster but I think Maholmes is the more effective runner. He showed that last night making the big plays with his legs when the game was on the line.

Yesterday I read the best characterization of his running style - the pundit said "and then Mahomes started running around like he's trying not to spill his beer".

That's when the magic happens. :)

It's all about the results..

I honestly think it's the awkward gait, the hesitation, pausing and spinning, etc... that makes him so effective.

Yesterday I read the best characterization of his running style - the pundit said "and then Mahomes started running around like he's trying not to spill his beer".

That's when the magic happens. :)
I'm not a Chiefs fan but I enjoy watching a really talented athlete do it his way. One of these games I think he's going to do a Matrix pass where he cartwheels and throws upside down.

I'm not a Chiefs fan but I enjoy watching a really talented athlete do it his way. One of these games I think he's going to do a Matrix pass where he cartwheels and throws upside down.
Much of what he does that seems so "out there" comes directly from other sports. Look at the way he throws, the way whips the football with his arm - you could photoshop a baseball in his hand and it wouldn't look odd at all.

Mahomes has a crablike scuttle and he is very elusive and deceptively fast. Add that to his ability to throw from any angle and he's a nightmare to defend against.
I believe he’s the best QB in the NFL at throwing from awkward angles. Allen can do it too, but not like Mahomes

QBs with happy feet haven't ever lasted very long.....Mahomes keeps it up, and he shortens his career by at least five years.

I believe he’s the best QB in the NFL at throwing from awkward angles. Allen can do it too, but not like Mahomes
I really love the Allen/Mahomes rivalry. I think it will be good for football. They're both amazing athletes and seem like genuinely decent people.

He runs the 40 in 4.8 seconds and the average NFL QB 40 is 4.93. So he's deceptively fast and very shifty. He was probably a good flag football player.

I really love the Allen/Mahomes rivalry. I think it will be good for football. They're both amazing athletes and seem like genuinely decent people.
Allen hasn’t played well last couple of games, but yeah, there are certain throws that only those two can make. Allen and Mahomes are tier one qb’s in the nfl.

QBs with happy feet haven't ever lasted very long.....Mahomes keeps it up, and he shortens his career by at least five years.
Yep. That's gotta be on the mind of the coaching staff, if not Mahomes.

He's getting better at staying in the pocket, but it never seems like he wants to be there. The "streetball" aspect of the way he plays can't be denied. At the end of every play, if he's checked through all his receivers and no one is open, or if he's chased out of pocket, the entire game plan is for everyone to run around like crazy, trying to get open, while Mahomes evades long enough to make a throw.

It's streetball. But it's also deliberate and calculated. I'm certain they practice these "busted play" routines. It's how they score half their points.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back