Ever assume a movie would suck & it turned out GREAT?!

I loved Gilbert Grape. Great movie.

Another along that line was 'I Am Sam' with Sean Penn and Dakota Fanning. I didn't initially want to see it because I figured it would be just another one of those 'retarded person' movies that was stereo typical and not done well. But I underestimated Sean Penn. He was excellent in it and the movie (yeah, a bit of a tear jerker) was very good.

MM - I love Johnny Depp. He's one of those rare actors (Sean Penn is another) that actually make me forget that I'm watching Johnny Depp and believe that I'm watching a person named Gilbert Grape (or whoever). The Pirates movies are not generally my type of movie but if you're a Depp fan, rent the first one. I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did and he was largely responsible for that. I read that he based his Jack Sparrow character on The Rolling Stone's Keith Richards; Depp is fun to watch as he does his take on Keith.

Another movie that I refused to even watch was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The previews made me think that Willie Wonka was a pervert or something. Waay creepy. But someone gave it to one of the kids for a present and the more I watch it the more I like it. Depp does make the Wonka character creepy . . . but oh so good!

"I Am Sam" was great, and a true story too, I think. Now I'm anxious to see Sean Penn as Harvey Milk, but I've hesitated because we all know the ending already.

Willie Wonka was like The Wizard of Oz for me. Painful.

Shawshank Redemption. Didn't make many waves at the box office, and now 15 years later it's on most people's top ten.

Another actor I will always tune in for just to see if it's good or awful is Billy Bob Thornton. (I know, I know, he's gotten weird lately with his rock band obsession.)

"Bad Santa" was hilarious yet heartwarming, but not one I would want my nephew to see just yet since Santa doesn't play nice until the very end.

I saw him in some IFC film that I can't remember the name of. He played a big man recently released from a mental institution and trying to assimilate back into a small town. I think he befriended a young boy (and being IFC, I was fully expecting a pedophile theme, but it wasn't).
Billy Bob was so made up that he was unrecognizable--marbles or cotton in his mouth which distorted his face into a grimmace. That was another movie that I enjoyed (but didn't necessarily love) and at the end wondered where Billy Bob Thornton was! So I rewound the credits only to discover he was the main character.

One more great actor terribly underrated by the academy, imo, then I'll shut up, is Edward Norton.

Sling Blade

Sling Blade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another actor I will always tune in for just to see if it's good or awful is Billy Bob Thornton. (I know, I know, he's gotten weird lately with his rock band obsession.)

"Bad Santa" was hilarious yet heartwarming, but not one I would want my nephew to see just yet since Santa doesn't play nice until the very end.

I saw him in some IFC film that I can't remember the name of. He played a big man recently released from a mental institution and trying to assimilate back into a small town. I think he befriended a young boy (and being IFC, I was fully expecting a pedophile theme, but it wasn't).
Billy Bob was so made up that he was unrecognizable--marbles or cotton in his mouth which distorted his face into a grimmace. That was another movie that I enjoyed (but didn't necessarily love) and at the end wondered where Billy Bob Thornton was! So I rewound the credits only to discover he was the main character.

One more great actor terribly underrated by the academy, imo, then I'll shut up, is Edward Norton.

Sling Blade

My wife and I were watching Sling Blade one night with 2 of our respective best friends back in '97. Her friend (Lori) loved it. My friend (Ben) thought it was complete shite. It was the first time they'd met and they argued about if for the whole film while my wife and I watched with glowing alarm. She was calling him and arrogant ass, he was saying she was fucked up.

In July they will have been married 11 years, and we are godparents to each others children.

BTW, I hate Sling Blade.

Shawshank Redemption. Didn't make many waves at the box office, and now 15 years later it's on most people's top ten.

I haven't seen that in awhile, but I think the popularity had to do with the ending. Who saw that coming?

Good movie. Morgan Freeman is another one who has made some great movies and some turds.

Sling Blade

My wife and I were watching Sling Blade one night with 2 of our respective best friends back in '97. Her friend (Lori) loved it. My friend (Ben) thought it was complete shite. It was the first time they'd met and they argued about if for the whole film while my wife and I watched with glowing alarm. She was calling him and arrogant ass, he was saying she was fucked up.

In July they will have been married 11 years, and we are godparents to each others children.

BTW, I hate Sling Blade.

I honestly don't remember too much about it, so it didn't leave much of an impression on me either I guess. Except for Billy Bob. Often the IFC films are loooooong and drawn out.

Forum List

Back