Shiva-Leo: Diary of Magazines

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a new age values mock-dialogue between Shiva (Hindu god of destruction) and Leo (celebrity-actor who portrayed the absurdism-oriented American traveller Richard from Danny Boyle's alienation film The Beach).

Cheers,

====

SHIVA: You made two incendiary films in a row --- Celebrity and The Beach.
LEO: I made incendiary films before that --- What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Total Eclipse!
SHIVA: In Celebrity (a Woody Allen film), you play a spoiled-brat American movie-star.
LEO: Yes, 'Brandon Darrow' is wild, and I get upset when people ask, "Is that really you?"
SHIVA: Sure, you don't want people to think you lack temperance!
LEO: That's correct; I enjoyed making the surprisingly-cerebral film The Beach.
SHIVA: Yes, that Danny Boyle film had you experimenting with Conrad and Defoe themes.
LEO: Heart of Darkness and Robinson Crusoe, that's correct!
SHIVA: In The Beach, you play an American traveller named Richard who discovers darkness.
LEO: Richard finds an idyllic island of escapist-hippies off Thailand and finds hypocrisy.
SHIVA: Richard seems to believe that isolationism may shield one from the curse of 'society.'
LEO: Richard finds that being alone can be as ironically 'stimulating' as socializing.
SHIVA: That's a dangerous anti-social sentiment, reminiscent of Marx or Fanon or Camus.
LEO: It's dangerous but sensitively-accurate to the realities of modern claustrophobia.
SHIVA: Are there forms of intellectualism that arise as a backlash to modernization?
LEO: Sure --- primalism; just think of Thoreau or Emerson or Kerouac.
SHIVA: Yes, I see what you mean, Leo! You're quite bright. I wonder if you like Facebook.
LEO: Facebook is a 'window' into modern imagination, and I endorse new age 'revelry.'
SHIVA: So making Celebrity and then The Beach must make you think of paralysis.
LEO: Too much imagery about modern civilization makes you dread press interviews.
SHIVA: I wonder what President Donald Trump thinks of Film Studies at Yale University.
LEO: I'm sure modern politicians care about general populace schizophrenia.

====

Forum List

Back