Star Trek Movie

I'm hoping it will be a success, the franchise is dead right now, this is sort of the last shot at new life.

The trailers look great, recasting was a good idea.

Starts May 7, Directed by JJ Abrams.

Anyone going to see it?

Star Trek | Official Movie Site | In Theaters May 2009 | Star Trek Movie

My son, along with his wife is taking his mom and me to the matinee and a lunch on Sunday, for Mother's Day and my birthday respectively. I hope it's better than all the past ones with the original cast. I note a strong physical/facial resemblance in Spock and Kirk. At any rate I plan on having a big bag of popcorn.

I remember the very first Star Trek when it aired in 1966; it immediately became a weekly event for us. My bride of one year at the time and I would consume a big bowl of popcorn during every show. It was the best thing that had happened on TV up to that time for us.

We hadn't had a TV for very long, and of course it was a B&W model. I had urged that we not have a TV, but instead enjoy good books and fine classical and instrumental music as our main form of entertainment, but she, being a farm girl liberated by attending IU, had had enough of patriarchy.

Last edited:
I'm hoping it will be a success, the franchise is dead right now, this is sort of the last shot at new life.

If anyone can bring back the franchise, it's JJ Abrams.

I think it will be a good movie, I love the idea of seeing how a young Kirk, Spock and the rest of the Enterprise Crew started out.

All the reviews I've read about it have been good too!

I'm taking my son.

I liked the original series but I'm not a Trekkie and never watched all the spin-offs nor most of the movies. However, this one looks interesting.

I'm taking my son.

I liked the original series but I'm not a Trekkie and never watched all the spin-offs nor most of the movies. However, this one looks interesting.
I am with you there, I used to watch the orginal version after yogie bear every day after school. Never got into the spin offs. I will probably wait until it is out of DVD to watch it though.

If anyone can bring back the franchise, it's JJ Abrams.

I think it will be a good movie, I love the idea of seeing how a young Kirk, Spock and the rest of the Enterprise Crew started out.

All the reviews I've read about it have been good too!
I have been following it since they started work on it, it may be just what the francise needs.

Recasting is a very good idea, you can't keep doing 'old guys in space' and get people to watch.

Reviews tend to be wrong, especially about sci-fi, these days. I mean they liked "Twilight" ... can't trust anyone who likes tween-sexual romantic vampires.

The reviews I read were fron Trek fans, with an eye towards comparing it with old Trek.

Boxoffice will be the ultimate test of course, but i'll wait till it's on DVD.

I go by the previews they show, they always show the "best parts" of a movie, and if I don't like those then I know I won't like the movie. The best parts were action scenes and a sex scene ... so I know I won't like it, not enough story of sci-fi for me.

But then, I am an Asimov and Lovecraft fan, the story is the most important part to movies like that.

Asimov..haven't read his work in a long time.

I remember the first time I read 'nightfall', what a cool story it was.

Read the "Robot City" series, a bit for younger (teen) readers, but still awesome and inspiring. Asimov was a great dreamer, and if not for his works we wouldn't have half the technology we do now, he gave us the ideas. Lovecraft was more horror, dark sci-fi when he did get into it. The aliens were so alien that they were frightening. Both did a lot of non-humanoid aliens though, and I get tired of so many sci-fi stories having such human aliens, it kind of defeats the whole concept. Now, if they went the route original Star Wars (4-6) tried to go, then it would be great, but instead it looks like they did the 1-3 route instead, space opera without the story. Or if they had made the aliens less human looking then I would take the chance on DVD, but I'll just watch it online for free when I can instead, 3D space ship ideas and such.

Read the "Robot City" series, a bit for younger (teen) readers, but still awesome and inspiring. Asimov was a great dreamer, and if not for his works we wouldn't have half the technology we do now, he gave us the ideas. Lovecraft was more horror, dark sci-fi when he did get into it. The aliens were so alien that they were frightening. Both did a lot of non-humanoid aliens though, and I get tired of so many sci-fi stories having such human aliens, it kind of defeats the whole concept. Now, if they went the route original Star Wars (4-6) tried to go, then it would be great, but instead it looks like they did the 1-3 route instead, space opera without the story. Or if they had made the aliens less human looking then I would take the chance on DVD, but I'll just watch it online for free when I can instead, 3D space ship ideas and such.

Asimov"s "Foundation" series has always been my favorite. "Caves of Steel" from the Robots series comes in a close second.

I haven't got around to reading "Nightfall" or "Fantastic Voyage" yet, but I think I've read all his other Sci-Fi work.

Last edited:
So much of what we've seen like Star Trek and Star Wars came from earlier works like the movie "Forbidden Planet". It came out in 1956, and so much of what is in that movie was adapted for later science fiction productions. I recommend that any fans of science fiction rent the DVD and watch it.
It is if nothing else, instructive, that "there is nothing new under the sun".

Here's the "Trailer"; it appears rather dark but the actual movie did not have that defect. There was no equal to this movie until the Star Trek series was developed for TV a decade later.

Check out the shape of the space-craft (rounded like the Enterprise), the speech patterns of the robot (systematic like Spock), Lieutenant ‘Doc’ Ostrow, the Captain poses like Kirk, all the characters are there in different incarnations, the tubes like a teleporter when they drop out of hyperspace, the crew's "communicators", even the introductory credit lines flow up the screen (like Star Wars) in the trailer.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y4crGU7dkg[/ame]

Here's part one of the movie, which will link to the parts in about 10 minute increments which follow at U-Tube.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR10S_fDUOk[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back