Even With The Bow, Obama Comes Back Empty

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Thanks to our forefathers, it takes more than a president to get through big domestic change. Not saying it won't happen, but the road is rocky.

OTOH, lots more potential of foreign side and he's just not getting his 'vision' out there. Problem is, he's making the US look very weak:

Concerns Rise Around Obama Trip - WSJ.com

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    He's actually not making the US look weak. Think about it. Other countries know exactly how the US is faring. If the US is weak they know it, if the US is strong, they know it. They're not interested in perceptions, they focus on realty. They also know that a weak US can overnight become a strong US, that's reality too.
    But they can pick bullshit and bluster so a frank approach is probably best.

As for ASEAN, forget it. It's a complete mess. At the moment Thailand and Cambodia are at each other's throats over the former Thai PM Shinawatra being lauded in Pnom Penh by the former Khmer Rouge boofhead Hun Sen.

The Junta in Burma (stuff this Myanmar crap, my father fought in Burma) is a despotic regime as bad as Saddam's but it has China on side so ASEAN nor anyone else is going to shift them.

Foreign policy is Byzantine. But it does provide the opportunity for cheap attacks back home, it happens in my country all the time, I have no doubt the US isn't much different.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I think that countries in Europe, AU, Japan believe the US can become 'strong' whenever they choose to. All I can say is remember France in 1938.

4. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    He's finding that the bullshit that got him elected doesn't work in the international arena, where results matter.

He is also discoving that his love affair with the European left cuts no ice with the Russians or the Asians.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Obama has a lot to learn about the Russians. Not a good time for a newby.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    He talked a good talk about EU while campaigning, since then he's shown them as much respect as the 'tea baggers.' His disdain for success is phenomenal, his admiration for dictators seems to know no bounds.

7. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I never got to France in 1938, I hear it was interesting though :D

8. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    They tested him with Georgia, they know he won't stand up for smaller nations.

Since they are know his hand now, the Russians see no value in being reasonable with him.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Good dodge. ;)

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    France should not have lost in 40. Her leadership was profoundly lacking both Political and Military. Her and Britain sold Europe into World War 2 with their failure to act in 36 and again in 38.

This President and this Congress are weak kneed ignorant boobs when it comes to the Military. And the world's thugs and dictators have taken note of his inability to even do anything he said he would do in Afghanistan. They have noted his praise and support of a dictator wanna be in Honduras and his appeasing of Venezuela's dictator.

It does not matter one whit HOW STRONG or CAPABLE our military is if one knows it won't be used.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1