Even With The Bow, Obama Comes Back Empty

Unfortunely the pre Bush/Cheney model he's returning it to is the equaly non internationaly respected Bill Clinton era.

As for foaming at the mouth, see if you can tune in MSNBC down under, think of them as 'Pravda' with teleprompters.

On my cable service I can't get MSNBC but I do get Fox. I wish I could get both.

Clinton, for all his faults on a personal level, gave the US a a foreign policy persona that was pretty useful. Trust me, I know, I'm a ferriner :D
Useful to same crowd that loves Obama, not the crowd he needs to deal with, namely a reactionary Russia, an unimpressed China and hostile middle east.

Yep, authoritarian and totalitarian regimes can be a tough room.

Good dodge. ;)

I indulge now and again, heck everyone needs breathing space :D

But now, back into the fray.

Does anyone think foreign policy is built by one person on one journey? Would you be surprised if I suggested that thousands of people are working behind the scenes on foreign policy? Would you gufffaw if I used the metaphor of the iceberg in an effort to put my point? One visit is supposed to fix everything? There is no regard for what might be happening elsewhere?

How about this. Three old blokes are sitting together in a photo opportunity. They just had a conference. When each returned home do you reckon everyone knew what had been achieved?

300px-Yalta_summit_1945_with_Churchill%2C_Roosevelt%2C_Stalin.jpg

Who knows what will eventuate as a result of this visit by your president?

Actually, it's not just Obama. Bush allowed himself to be portrayed the way the media, both here and abroad wanted to. He didn't bother to address the people, thus never gaining and often losing supporters. But that was then, now we have a new set of problems.

Obama regardless of what you wish to label him, is determined to change the US; economically, social services wise, militarily, in all ways he can. I don't think he will get a second term; but much mischief can be made in a year.

I know occasionally I breach my own self-imposed restriction on commenting about purely domestic US issues here, but folks are pretty tolerant of that which I appreciate, but I'm not sure if Obama wants to change anything at tis stage. From the stuff I read elsewhere the progressives are ticked off with him for not doing everything overnight. I get the impression he is trying to repair the damage from the previous administration and then he will move to change things for the better (but I would say that wouldn't I?).

I indulge now and again, heck everyone needs breathing space :D

But now, back into the fray.

Does anyone think foreign policy is built by one person on one journey? Would you be surprised if I suggested that thousands of people are working behind the scenes on foreign policy? Would you gufffaw if I used the metaphor of the iceberg in an effort to put my point? One visit is supposed to fix everything? There is no regard for what might be happening elsewhere?

How about this. Three old blokes are sitting together in a photo opportunity. They just had a conference. When each returned home do you reckon everyone knew what had been achieved?

300px-Yalta_summit_1945_with_Churchill%2C_Roosevelt%2C_Stalin.jpg

Who knows what will eventuate as a result of this visit by your president?

Actually, it's not just Obama. Bush allowed himself to be portrayed the way the media, both here and abroad wanted to. He didn't bother to address the people, thus never gaining and often losing supporters. But that was then, now we have a new set of problems.

Obama regardless of what you wish to label him, is determined to change the US; economically, social services wise, militarily, in all ways he can. I don't think he will get a second term; but much mischief can be made in a year.

I know occasionally I breach my own self-imposed restriction on commenting about purely domestic US issues here, but folks are pretty tolerant of that which I appreciate, but I'm not sure if Obama wants to change anything at tis stage. From the stuff I read elsewhere the progressives are ticked off with him for not doing everything overnight. I get the impression he is trying to repair the damage from the previous administration and then he will move to change things for the better (but I would say that wouldn't I?).

Yeah you would. ;) There is just nothing here though that would back up what you are saying. He's moving as fast as he can, but the legislators are not so quick, with the tea parties and all. ;) There were over 15 of those this weekend. Each person there has representatives and votes.

He's finding that the bullshit that got him elected doesn't work in the international arena, where results matter.

He is also discoving that his love affair with the European left cuts no ice with the Russians or the Asians.
Obama has a lot to learn about the Russians. Not a good time for a newby.
They tested him with Georgia, they know he won't stand up for smaller nations.

Since they are know his hand now, the Russians see no value in being reasonable with him.

Stupid ass, Georgia started that mess. Why should we precipitate a major conflict over ethnic rivalries in a third world nation?

He's finding that the bullshit that got him elected doesn't work in the international arena, where results matter.

He is also discoving that his love affair with the European left cuts no ice with the Russians or the Asians.
Obama has a lot to learn about the Russians. Not a good time for a newby.

Really? And after eight years, did your poster boy for idiocy show any sign that he had learned anything?

I hardly think that judging President Obama's trip while it is still in progress shows any intelligiance. But, given the nature of most of the posters on this board, what else is one to expect.

If President Obama delivered the Second Coming, you would complain that he did it a day late.:lol:

I'm no fan of Obama's by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't get all the hubbub about the bow. It's the custom in that culture and you're on his turf. It doesn't mean he's being subservient to the guy, just showing proper respect in the manner in which they do.

Now, if he visits here someday he can shake hands with Obama as that's the way we do things.

Yeah you would. ;) There is just nothing here though that would back up what you are saying. He's moving as fast as he can, but the legislators are not so quick, with the tea parties and all. ;) There were over 15 of those this weekend. Each person there has representatives and votes.

And there are the quiet Americans that are backing President Obama in making this a better nation. We are the ones that showed up at the pols and elected him President in spite of all the trash talk by people like yourself.

While you are trumpeting the gain of two governorships by the Republicans, I might point out that once again, the Republicans lost on the national stage, as a House seat that had never been anything but Republican since before the Civil War was given to the Democrats by the wingnut portion of the Republican Party. And a traditional Democratic seat in California stayed Democratic without any real opposition.

President Obama has not only to repair the damage that was done to foreign policy by eight years of idiocy, he has also to repair the damage done at home by the same kind of domestic policy.

And we also have to move from the Nineteenth Century to the Twentyfirst Century in policies concerning Health Care and taxation.

I think that countries in Europe, AU, Japan believe the US can become 'strong' whenever they choose to. All I can say is remember France in 1938.

I never got to France in 1938, I hear it was interesting though :D

France should not have lost in 40. Her leadership was profoundly lacking both Political and Military. Her and Britain sold Europe into World War 2 with their failure to act in 36 and again in 38.

This President and this Congress are weak kneed ignorant boobs when it comes to the Military. And the world's thugs and dictators have taken note of his inability to even do anything he said he would do in Afghanistan. They have noted his praise and support of a dictator wanna be in Honduras and his appeasing of Venezuela's dictator.

It does not matter one whit HOW STRONG or CAPABLE our military is if one knows it won't be used.

Gunny, you are a silly old man. On 9-11, we suffered an attack that murdered 3000 Americans on American soil. The mastermind of that attack is still alive and free. And you hero let that happen. Instead going and getting the miscreant, he went adventuring in Iraq, invaded on the basis of lies, and put our nation into a quagmire that still is costing us lives and treasure.

From that, the rest of the world saw that you can strike the US a greivous blow, and get away with it. The man you supported did more to weaken the US than any other President that I can name.

No matter how strong you are, if you misuse your military, you degrade it's capabilities. That is what Bush did, and that is what people like you are constantly trying to do. Military should be used only as last resort.

I'm no fan of Obama's by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't get all the hubbub about the bow. It's the custom in that culture and you're on his turf. It doesn't mean he's being subservient to the guy, just showing proper respect in the manner in which they do.

Now, if he visits here someday he can shake hands with Obama as that's the way we do things.

Yesterday, Jessica Yellin, CNN analyst, quoted her recent interview with Mitt Romney. He says that the Obama belief is that the US is in deline, and the bows are his accomodation to same.

But, even though President Obama doesn't believe in American exceptionalism, he represents exceptionalism in that he is the only international leader to bow to the Emperor of Japan.

China knows we are economically weak. They hold most of the debt. The rest of the world sees Obama run around the globe and come home with nothing. That is weakness.

Actually, it's not just Obama. Bush allowed himself to be portrayed the way the media, both here and abroad wanted to. He didn't bother to address the people, thus never gaining and often losing supporters.

That was one strong objection I had regarding the Bush 43 admin. Criticism went unanswered.

He came back empty........

Probably because they feel Obama is "Up to Something" and not really sincere. I mean he 'disses' his own country and stuff......just sayin

Gee, could that be true, not being sincere? :eek: :lol:

Forum List

Back