European leaders turned their backs on the US President.

Brn2bfree

Apr 1, 2009
April 4, 2009
Barack Obama fails to win Nato troops he wants for Afghanistan

Leading article: Alliance for Liberty | Pictures: Nato Summit | Obama dazzles Europe with campaigning style | Brown under fire over Afghan troopsBarack Obama made an impassioned plea to America's allies to send more troops to Afghanistan, warning that failure to do so would leave Europe vulnerable to more terrorist atrocities.

But though he continued to dazzle Europeans on his debut international tour, the Continent's leaders turned their backs on the US President.

Gordon Brown was the only one to offer substantial help. He offered to send several hundred extra British soldiers to provide security during the August election, but even that fell short of the thousands of combat troops that the US was hoping to prise from the Prime Minister.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can you say NOBAMA?

Mr. Obama...If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance maybe you can baffle them with your bull schit.

It works for the idiot liberals here in the states.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Can you say NOBAMA?

Mr. Obama...If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance maybe you can baffle them with your bull schit.

[/QUOTE]

And what works for idiot conservatives ... empty promises to avenge 9/11?

You seem to have forgotten why Obama is still trying to find a way to stop OBL and the Taliban ... over 7 years later!

Bush Quotes about Bin Laden

A BUZZFLASH READER COMMENTARY
by Karen

For your amusement and future reference, here's what Bush has said about bin Laden at various points in time, depending on how he was trying to spin things:

"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I want justice...There's an old poster out West, as I recall, that said, 'Wanted: Dead or Alive,'"
- G.W. Bush, 9/17/01, UPI

"...Secondly, he is not escaping us. This is a guy, who, three months ago, was in control of a county [sic]. Now he's maybe in control of a cave. He's on the run. Listen, a while ago I said to the American people, our objective is more than bin Laden. But one of the things for certain is we're going to get him running and keep him running, and bring him to justice. And that's what's happening. He's on the run, if he's running at all. So we don't know whether he's in cave with the door shut, or a cave with the door open -- we just don't know...."
- Bush, in remarks in a Press Availablity with the Press Travel Pool,
The Prairie Chapel Ranch, Crawford TX, 12/28/01, as reported on
official White House site

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

"I am truly not that concerned about him."
- G.W. Bush, repsonding to a question about bin Laden's whereabouts,
3/13/02 (The New American, 4/8/02)

Can you say NOBAMA?

You seem to have forgotten why Obama is still trying to find a way to stop OBL and the Taliban ... over 7 years later!

by Karen

For your amusement and future reference, here's what Bush has said about bin Laden at various points in time, depending on how he was trying to spin things:

"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I want justice...There's an old poster out West, as I recall, that said, 'Wanted: Dead or Alive,'"

"...Secondly, he is not escaping us. This is a guy, who, three months ago, was in control of a county [sic]. Now he's maybe in control of a cave. He's on the run. Listen, a while ago I said to the American people, our objective is more than bin Laden. But one of the things for certain is we're going to get him running and keep him running, and bring him to justice. And that's what's happening. He's on the run, if he's running at all. So we don't know whether he's in cave with the door shut, or a cave with the door open -- we just don't know...."

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

3/13/02 (The New American, 4/8/02)[/QUOTE]

How's his "trying" going so far ? Any results ? :lol:

Can you say NOBAMA?

by Karen

- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

How's his "trying" going so far ? Any results ? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Obama is a fool. The left is ignorant about how the real world works. Countries are not friends. They do not act like friends. A Country does what it does ( if it is and wants to stay successful) for its own self interests. As long as those interests coincide with each other they cooperate.

Cow towing to European leaders and the people of Europe is foolish and pointless. First off most Europeans are racist and Obama is black. Ohh I don't mean the mean kind where they chant and burn things, but the majority of the people in Europe do not have fond affections for the darker races. They consider them dumber then them and in need of help from them.

You think prejuidice in the US is bad, try Europe.

Europe does not think they need us anymore. Since the fall of the Soviet Empire they think we are unimportant to their survival. France and German are free to pursue their International schemes and we are a roadblock to them.

No matter how much Obama kisses their ass and cow tows to them unless he GIVES them tangible powers over what and when we will do things in the world there will be no changing the state of affairs.

They have no interest in the war on terror because those Muslims are some of their best customers. Who do you think was selling arms munitions and explosives to Iraq before the war? Who do you think had BILLION dollar deals to work the oil fields and improve the infrastructure in Iraq? France and Germany were actively working to get rid of the sanctions on Saddam Hussein so they could get back to business as usual. And the New Iraq is not falling all over itself to invite them back in.

The left and Obama are clueless.

Obama is a fool. The left is ignorant about how the real world works. Countries are not friends. They do not act like friends. A Country does what it does ( if it is and wants to stay successful) for its own self interests. As long as those interests coincide with each other they cooperate.

Cow towing to European leaders and the people of Europe is foolish and pointless. First off most Europeans are racist and Obama is black. Ohh I don't mean the mean kind where they chant and burn things, but the majority of the people in Europe do not have fond affections for the darker races. They consider them dumber then them and in need of help from them.

Europe does not think they need us anymore. Since the fall of the Soviet Empire they think we are unimportant to their survival. France and German are free to pursue their International schemes and we are a roadblock to them.

No matter how much Obama kisses their ass and cow tows to them unless he GIVES them tangible powers over what and when we will do things in the world there will be no changing the state of affairs.

They have no interest in the war on terror because those Muslims are some of their best customers. Who do you think was selling arms munitions and explosives to Iraq before the war? Who do you think had BILLION dollar deals to work the oil fields and improve the infrastructure in Iraq? France and Germany were actively working to get rid of the sanctions on Saddam Hussein so they could get back to business as usual. And the New Iraq is not falling all over itself to invite them back in.

Actually the left is not as clueless as you would like to believe ... we do know how the real world works. We understand that in Europe, just as over here, everyone has their own agenda. That politics can get dirty, that money, lobbyists and PACs are part of the system that is not going to just go away. We also understand the limits of power, that just because you are the world's last remaining Superpower ... doesn't mean you can just do it your way ... ask your buddy Bush. How many times was he rebuffed as he went hat in hand to ask Europe for help in Iraq or for the Saudi's to increase oil production when prices hit over $4/gal last year? Remember when Bush said that now the adults have taken over the WH ... who would know they would be such total incomptents?

Hm... you all do realize that the European leaders that supposedly 'turned their backs on the US president' are leaders of DEMOCRATIC countries, right? Meaning: they have to do what their electorate wants and some of them were VOTED IN on the basis of an anti-war message... PLUS, consider the circumstances - we do have somewhat of a global economic recession going on, how much spare cash do you think any of the nations have to go fight the war?

I'm not arguing against adding troops to Afghanistan, I actually think there SHOULD be an increase if we're to succeed... and I do believe that international involvement is key.

Last edited:
Mark my words: We will never win in Afghanistan. Nobody in history has ever conquered Afghanistan, and nobody ever will.

And what are we trying to do there anyway? Find bin Laden? Prevent the Taliban from preying on little boys (which is pretty much what they're into)? Fight Al Queda?

Is there a chance the USA can go one single decade without a war?

Seriously: I challenge anyone to name the last decade in which we were not fighting someone.

2000s: Afghanistan and Iraq

90s: Panama, Bosnia, Somalia, Iraq

80s: Lebanon, Central America.

70s: Viet Nam.

60s: Viet Nam.

50s: Viet Nam, Korea.

40s: WWII.

30s: Well, maybe that was the last time without a war somewhere.

20s: Hey, could it be possible there were two decades of peace in our nation?

10s: WW I.

Mark my words: We will never win in Afghanistan. Nobody in history has ever conquered Afghanistan, and nobody ever will.

And what are we trying to do there anyway? Find bin Laden? Prevent the Taliban from preying on little boys (which is pretty much what they're into)? Fight Al Queda?

Seriously: I challenge anyone to name the last decade in which we were not fighting someone.

Who said anything about winning?

dilloduck;1136221 How's his "trying" going so far ? Any results ? :lol:[/QUOTE said:
At least he is putting troops back into Afghanistan ... unlike the last guy who promised to get OBL dead or alive.

THE BUNGLED HUNT FOR BIN LADEN

In December, 2008, it will have been 7 years since Osama bin Laden slipped escaped from Tora Bora. Over the years the master terrorist has remained at large, and the Bush administration has gone long periods without mentioning him. On the other hand, it constantly invokes 9-11 to justify its policies and frequently leaves the impression that the war in Iraq is intended to extract revenge for 9-11.

During the 2004 campaign, George Bush and Dick Cheney repeatedly denied that the US knew Bin Laden was at Tora Bora. General Tommy Franks, campaigning for them, dished out the same misinformation. In March, 2005, the Pentagon was forced to comply with a Freedom of Information Act request and acknowledge that it knew that Osama bin Laden was at Tora Bora in late 2001.

Bin Laden had dispersed many of his fighters after 9-11 but retained several thousand to battle the Americans. He brought a large force to Tora Bora on the night of November 12, in a convoy said to number as many as a thousand vehicles. This movement would have been difficult to miss, but he was not attacked from the air.

Gary Bernstein , leading a CIA team named Jawbreaker, reported the terrorists’ location and recommended that a large number of American troops be deployed. There were about two dozen black-clad Special Forces troops there and a few Brits. Additional ground troops were not provided because the US saving troops to be deployed in Iraq. Bernstein is now retired and awaiting CIA clearance of his book on the hunt for Bin Laden.

The fight against bin Laden was left to Afghan mercenaries, some of whom had already been bribed to let him escape. Some parts of the attack on Al Qaeda there were essentially a grand charade. According to chieftain Malik Osama Khan, the U.S. Command left three sides of Tora Bora essentially unguarded by ground forces. There was a great deal of air bombardment, but several escape routes were untouched. According to Afghan sources, bin Lasden was able to escape with several thousand "foreign militants." The departures occurred over several days, and the terrorists were able to leave in large groups.

Earlier in the war, Northern Alliance troops took the city of Kunduz, the United States permitted six Pakistani cargo planes to evacuate hundreds of Al Queda, Taliban, and Pakistani volunteers were Seymour Hersh has reported that this evacuation was carried out in co-operation with ISI, the Pakistani intelligence service. [ It might be recalled that ISI provided Mohammed Atta with $100,000.] Many of these fighters were probably sent to Kashmir. This activity was never acknowledged by the Department of Defense.

The International Institute of Strategic Studies in Great Britain estimated that "ninety percent of bin Laden’s forces survived" the war in Afghanistan. . Every day he survived, Bin Laden enjoyed another victory of sorts that inspired angry young men throughout Islam.

Soon after the Afghan war ended, many resources were diverted from the hunt for Bin Laden. General Tommy Franks told Senator Bob Graham, then chair of the Intelligence Committee, that only four months after Afghanistan had been invaded the shifting of important resources began. The Predator drone aircraft were critical in the search effort but were also moved. Special Forces were moved from the hunt to the Iraq front. Sri Lankan terrorism expert Rohan Gunaatna said "I feel that if they had not gone to Iraq they would have found Osama by now." A former CIA operative that for a year and a half, it was necessary to give low priority to the search for Bin Laden. Electronic intelligence from the National Security Agency was diverted and its satellites were focused on Iraq. Planes used to airlift supplies to various outposts were pulled out, and the decision was made not to try to curb the narcotics traffic, which revived with the fall of the Taliban. The CIA’s limited number of Arabic speakers were diverted to Iraq. Likewise, the special who spoke Arabic were also shifted. The agency delayed spending $80 million to equip and train Afghan intelligence forces and it closed forward bases in Kandahar, Herat, and Mazar-e Sharif. Two thirds of the personnel in Task Force 5 were moved to the Middle East. This was a covert team whose job was to track down bin Laden and his top operatives. Later funds for reconstructing Afghanistan were diverted to Iraq.Had the hunt for Osama bin Laden been this badly bungled under a President Al Gore, there would have been repeated calls for Congressional investigations. Some would even suggest the evidence suggested a lack of interest in nabbing the master terrorist. Who can doubt that Hannity and Limbaugh would be clamoring for impeachment? Had Bin Laden remained at large more than a year under Gore, the Republican noise machine would exploit the topic daily and the mainstream press would serve as a vast echo chamber for the right’s charges.

Posted by Sherman De Brosse at 10:56 AM

The Europeans love Michael Jackson too...

The Obama's had a nice superficial showing on this trip, but it appears nothing of substance was accomplished.

Such is the Obama way...

We had our combat troops out of Vietnam by mid 71. Ohh as to the 20's and 30's? We were fighting in the Islands below Cuba and in Central America. We just got smart and turned all the Marines into What ever Country they were in's police force. So it did not look like America was fighting at all.

Can you say NOBAMA?

by Karen

- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

Many of the really stupid libbies believe Bush is still president. If any liberals knew how to catch binLaden during the Bush administration, then why did they not let someone know?

And note how many of those were war of choice.

Can you say NOBAMA?

by Karen

- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

We've already see what happens with you leftwingers in charge.

Iran hostage crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can you say NOBAMA?

by Karen

- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

How's his "trying" going so far ? Any results ? :lol:

The left and Obama are clueless.[/QUOTE]

It's an extension of "white guilt." We should be ashamed we're on top. We aren't allowed to act in our own self-interest. Other nations, while acting in THEIR own self-interest, point a finger at us as deflection and make the leftgoobs cringe and whine. Works like a charm every time.

Actually the left is not as clueless as you would like to believe ... we do know how the real world works. We understand that in Europe, just as over here, everyone has their own agenda. That politics can get dirty, that money, lobbyists and PACs are part of the system that is not going to just go away. We also understand the limits of power, that just because you are the world's last remaining Superpower ... doesn't mean you can just do it your way ... ask your buddy Bush. How many times was he rebuffed as he went hat in hand to ask Europe for help in Iraq or for the Saudi's to increase oil production when prices hit over $4/gal last year? Remember when Bush said that now the adults have taken over the WH ... who would know they would be such total incomptents?

Yeah, you ARE clueless. Actions speak louder than words, and nothing the left does proves otherwise.

Hm... you all do realize that the European leaders that supposedly 'turned their backs on the US president' are leaders of DEMOCRATIC countries, right? Meaning: they have to do what their electorate wants and some of them were VOTED IN on the basis of an anti-war message... PLUS, consider the circumstances - we do have somewhat of a global economic recession going on, how much spare cash do you think any of the nations have to go fight the war?

I'm not arguing against adding troops to Afghanistan, I actually think there SHOULD be an increase if we're to succeed... and I do believe that international involvement is key.

Democratic countries? You mean like the Democratic party is democratic?:eusa_hand:

European nations aren't interested in sending their boys into that graveyard of empires.

They look at out "plan" and realize that it is not viable.

We are not going to democratize Afghanistan, folks.

The only thing our troops should be doing there is tracking down AlQada and killing them.

The central government we are propping up will fall the moment we stop supporting it.

Forum List

Back