Eureka! Tea partiers know science Left Wing Bias proven by Liberal Professor.

OriginalShroom

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
The Professor proved the Left Wing Bias in the Media.. but he's still a hater.

Eureka! Tea partiers know science - Tal Kopan - POLITICO.com

A finding in a study on the relationship between science literacy and political ideology surprised the Yale professor behind it: Tea party members know more science than non-tea partiers.

Yale law professor Dan Kahan posted on his blog this week that he analyzed the responses of more than 2,000 American adults recruited for another study and found that, on average, people who leaned liberal were more science literate than those who leaned conservative

However, those who identified as part of the tea party movement were actually better versed in science than those who didn’t, Kahan found. The findings met the conventional threshold of statistical significance, the professor said.

Kahan wrote that not only did the findings surprise him, they embarrassed him.

“I’ve got to confess, though, I found this result surprising. As I pushed the button to run the analysis on my computer, I fully expected I’d be shown a modest negative correlation between identifying with the Tea Party and science comprehension,” Kahan wrote.

“But then again, I don’t know a single person who identifies with the tea party,” he continued. “All my impressions come from watching cable tv — & I don’t watch Fox News very often — and reading the ‘paper’ (New York Times daily, plus a variety of politics-focused Internet sites like Huffington Post and POLITICO). I’m a little embarrassed, but mainly, I’m just glad that I no longer hold this particular mistaken view.”

This is not surprising to me. I love science and am more scientifically literate than your Average Joe. I have been to every Tea Party rally here in Orlando from the beginning.

This will only surprise the low information people out there who only know what they have been told, but it will come as no surprise to a Tea Party member.

This is not surprising to me. I love science and am more scientifically literate than your Average Joe. I have been to every Tea Party rally here in Orlando from the beginning.

This will only surprise the low information people out there who only know what they have been told, but it will come as no surprise to a Tea Party member.

I took a scientific survey of all my friends and they agreed it was most scientific study they had ever heard of.
In fact, it encouraged me to begin a scientific study of newspaper-boys, the premise being that paper-boys, because of their familiarity with newspapers. have a greater political knowledge than boys that do not deliver newspapers.
Stand by Nobel prize.

I took a scientific survey of all my friends and they agreed it was most scientific study they had ever heard of.
In fact, it encouraged me to begin a scientific study of newspaper-boys, the premise being that paper-boys, because of their familiarity with newspapers. have a greater political knowledge than boys that do not deliver newspapers.
Stand by Nobel prize.

You think you are trying to make a point but you are failing miserably. You should try reading the OP.

I'm in 11th grade, and as far as I can tell, conservatives gravitate towards more useful subjects like math/science will liberals gravitate toward useless, mushy subjects like literature where teachers talk about McCarthyism relating to "The Crucible" but NEVER mention how the Verona Reports proved that McCarthy was right (all of our study of McCarthy was basically excoriating him).

1. Let’s take a look at who is ‘anti-science’: 93 % of scientists acknowledge the necessity of animal research, as do 62 % of Republicans, but only 48% of Democrats.
Section 5: Evolution, Climate Change and Other Issues | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

a. Nuclear power plants? 70 % of scientists favor, as do 62 % of Republicans, but only 45% of Democrats.
Ibid.

b. The National Academy of Sciences found that genetically engineered food is safe. So say more Republicans (48%) than Democrats (42%)
Who?s More Anti-Science: Republicans or Democrats? - Reason.com

2. “Republicans are more scientifically literate than Democrats or independents are”…with respect to belief in astrology, the need for control groups, probability, antibiotics, exposure to radioactivity….Check out the list at
The Audacious Epigone: Republicans are more scientifically literate than Democrats or independents are

This again?

Read the study, fer glub's sake. It compared Tea-partiers to non-Tea-Partiers. Non-tea-partiers include evangelistic creationist nitwits. It's not difficult to know science better than creationists, hence even Tea Partiers can manage it.

Now, the study did directly compare liberals to conservatives. The liberals came out ahead.

And this, a 2009 poll on how scientists self-identify.

Section 4: Scientists, Politics and Religion | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
---
When the leanings of independents are considered, fully 81% identify as Democrats or lean to the Democratic Party, compared with 12% who either identify as Republicans or lean toward the GOP.
---

Do they just know more science, or do they also believe it?

I mean, lots of rightwingers who know that the scientific age of the earth is 5 or 6 billion years still believe that the real age is 6000 years.

This again?

Read the study, fer glub's sake. It compared Tea-partiers to non-Tea-Partiers. Non-tea-partiers include evangelistic creationist nitwits. It's not difficult to know science better than creationists, hence even Tea Partiers can manage it.

Now, the study did directly compare liberals to conservatives. The liberals came out ahead.

And this, a 2009 poll on how scientists self-identify.

Section 4: Scientists, Politics and Religion | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
---
When the leanings of independents are considered, fully 81% identify as Democrats or lean to the Democratic Party, compared with 12% who either identify as Republicans or lean toward the GOP.
---

Obviously when you drag down the intellectual superiority of liberals by mixing in non-tea party conservatives,

the tea partiers might have a chance of competing.

So if we can agree that tea-party members and liberals both know science isn't that a platform to discuss global warming and green energy focusing on politics rather than debating about whether something is a lie or not?

The Professor proved the Left Wing Bias in the Media.. but he's still a hater.

Eureka! Tea partiers know science - Tal Kopan - POLITICO.com

A finding in a study on the relationship between science literacy and political ideology surprised the Yale professor behind it: Tea party members know more science than non-tea partiers.

Yale law professor Dan Kahan posted on his blog this week that he analyzed the responses of more than 2,000 American adults recruited for another study and found that, on average, people who leaned liberal were more science literate than those who leaned conservative

However, those who identified as part of the tea party movement were actually better versed in science than those who didn’t, Kahan found. The findings met the conventional threshold of statistical significance, the professor said.

Kahan wrote that not only did the findings surprise him, they embarrassed him.

“I’ve got to confess, though, I found this result surprising. As I pushed the button to run the analysis on my computer, I fully expected I’d be shown a modest negative correlation between identifying with the Tea Party and science comprehension,” Kahan wrote.

“But then again, I don’t know a single person who identifies with the tea party,” he continued. “All my impressions come from watching cable tv — & I don’t watch Fox News very often — and reading the ‘paper’ (New York Times daily, plus a variety of politics-focused Internet sites like Huffington Post and POLITICO). I’m a little embarrassed, but mainly, I’m just glad that I no longer hold this particular mistaken view.”
It should be noted the "those that didn't" group, are conservatives, not liberals. So the study was comparing "baggers" to cons, not "baggers" to liberals.

The study also said the further right you go, the less science aptitude you have. The more liberal, the more science knowledge you have.
From the study...
The sign of the correlation indicates that science comprehension decreases as political outlooks move in the rightward direction--i.e., the more "liberal" and "Democrat," the more science comprehending.
Que pasa, mutha?

Forum List

Back