Et tu, Yoo?

berg80

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2017
John Yoo, a former George W. Bush-era Justice Department employee who helped write the "torture memos" on interrogation techniques after the Sept. 11 attacks, and whose views of executive power held that the president can order a village slaughtered, said that Trump's actions were clearly against the law.

"Trump is not allowed to have the records and keep them. He could get copies. But he can’t keep them away from the Archives. That’s settled," Yoo said in an interview at the National Conservatism Conference. "It is not whether Trump violated the law. He did. It’s not whether the government had legal grounds for the search warrant. It does. The question is really whether he could be charged."

"The real issue, and I think both people on both sides should recognize this, is, is it a good use of prosecutorial discretion — of judgment — to charge him?" Yoo said. "So my view has been if you’re going to go after a president for the first time in American history for violating a law, I think it should be for something much more important than this. Like, for example, being involved with the Jan. 6 conspiracy."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ju...-classified-records-seized-mar-lago-rcna47288

If you're a Harry Potter fan you are no doubt familiar with the scene at the end of Deathly Hallows II when Voldemort's wand betrays him. It's the moment he realizes all is lost.

The analogy to the Orange Insurrectionist is seeing former loyalists and hard core right wingers with legal expertise openly speak about Don's criminal exposure to 1/6 and MaLgate. Most recently they include the rotund former NJ gov., Chris Christie, former Trump AG Billy the Bagman, and now John Yoo. The architect of Dubya's torture policy. All those folks are members of the Cretins Hall of Fame but they do have a point when it comes to the guy Stormy Daniels described as having a mushroom d*ck.

But hey, Don will always have The Following in his back pocket. They will never leave him. Because to do so is not only to admit Trump is toxic for the country, but that they are too.

BTW, I can't help wondering if the reverence with which Yoo speaks of a "former prez" has something to do.......subconsciously......with his belief it was right for Shrub not to be charged with the war crimes he committed. You know.......since Yoo enabled him.

John Yoo, a former George W. Bush-era Justice Department employee who helped write the "torture memos" on interrogation techniques after the Sept. 11 attacks, and whose views of executive power held that the president can order a village slaughtered, said that Trump's actions were clearly against the law.

"Trump is not allowed to have the records and keep them. He could get copies. But he can’t keep them away from the Archives. That’s settled," Yoo said in an interview at the National Conservatism Conference. "It is not whether Trump violated the law. He did. It’s not whether the government had legal grounds for the search warrant. It does. The question is really whether he could be charged."

"The real issue, and I think both people on both sides should recognize this, is, is it a good use of prosecutorial discretion — of judgment — to charge him?" Yoo said. "So my view has been if you’re going to go after a president for the first time in American history for violating a law, I think it should be for something much more important than this. Like, for example, being involved with the Jan. 6 conspiracy."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ju...-classified-records-seized-mar-lago-rcna47288

If you're a Harry Potter fan you are no doubt familiar with the scene at the end of Deathly Hallows II when Voldemort's wand betrays him. It's the moment he realizes all is lost.

The analogy to the Orange Insurrectionist is seeing former loyalists and hard core right wingers with legal expertise openly speak about Don's criminal exposure to 1/6 and MaLgate. Most recently they include the rotund former NJ gov., Chris Christie, former Trump AG Billy the Bagman, and now John Yoo. The architect of Dubya's torture policy. All those folks are members of the Cretins Hall of Fame but they do have a point when it comes to the guy Stormy Daniels described as having a mushroom d*ck.

But hey, Don will always have The Following in his back pocket. They will never leave him. Because to do so is not only to admit Trump is toxic for the country, but that they are too.

BTW, I can't help wondering if the reverence with which Yoo speaks of a "former prez" has something to do.......subconsciously......with his belief it was right for Shrub not to be charged with the war crimes he committed. You know.......since Yoo enabled him.
I'm so glad they tortured those mother fuckers. Thanks for the memory ninny

Trump won

Not too dissimilar from Barr enabling Trump and now pointing out his attacks on democracy

The country lost.
Actually, the whole world lost. We will see election fraud being discussed in every election from 2020 on, since the world no longer trusts democrats at election time.

And you're surprised to be called a semi-fascist?
Call us what you want. We don't care because we recognize the progjection & it doesn't work.

Reagan nailed it. You collectivist authoritarians are kissing cousins with the fascist of the past

1663074666154.png

So, why would we trust a guy like that? I mean, he said torture was legal. Sounds like he doesn't know the law from his own ass.

So, why would we trust a guy like that? I mean, he said torture was legal. Sounds like he doesn't know the law from his own ass.
Perhaps the consequences to national security for the CIA torturing those guys is less than possibility of exposing national secrets? Neither one should have happened, but, you know reality.

Not too dissimilar from Barr enabling Trump and now pointing out his attacks on democracy
The Bagman was happy to be the engineer of the Trump Train when Billy was protecting what he viewed as the plenary power of the executive. But the attempted coup was too much even for him. He exited the locomotive months ago when it was still going at a high speed and has the bruises to prove it.

It's not binary. He was wrong on torture, right about Trump's violation of statute. Why do these simple concepts confuse you so?
Because if he was wrong about torture, maybe he is not the most credible source.

Why does that confuse you?

Do you have a more reliable "legal expert" other than the guy who opined that torture is legal?

Forum List

Back