EPA using your money to make people take shorter showers in hotels

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
EPA Wants to Monitor How Long Hotel Guests Spend in the Shower

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) wants hotels to monitor how much time its guests spend in the shower.

The agency is spending $15,000 to create a wireless system that will track how much water a hotel guest uses to get them to “modify their behavior.”

“Hotels consume a significant amount of water in the U.S. and around the world,” an EPA grant to the University of Tulsa reads. “Most hotels do not monitor individual guest water usage and as a result, millions of gallons of potable water are wasted every year by hotel guests.”

“The proposed work aims to develop a novel low cost wireless device for monitoring water use from hotel guest room showers,” it said. “This device will be designed to fit most new and existing hotel shower fixtures and will wirelessly transmit hotel guest water usage data to a central hotel accounting system.”

The funding is going toward creating a prototype and market analysis for the device. The goal of the project is to change the behavior of Americans when they stay at hotels.

“This technology will provide hotel guests with the ability to monitor their daily water online or using a smartphone app and will assist hotel guest in modifying their behavior to help conserve water,” the grant said.

The project was filed under “Water conservation,” “Urban water planning,” and “Sustainable water management.”

The EPA also has a WaterSense program that challenges hotels to track their water use and upgrade their restrooms with low-flow toilets and showerheads.

The program also encourages “linen and towel reuse programs” in guest rooms.

The EPA is concerned that the average shower, which lasts just eight minutes, uses 18 gallons of water, and has asked Americans to reduce their shower length by at least one minute.

Tyler W. Johannes, Ph.D., an associate professor in the University of Tulsa’s School of Chemical Engineering who is working on the project, told the Washington Free Beacon that the researchers hope to see the technology “adopted by all major hotels and used across the country.”

He said the device seeks to get hotel guests to limit their showers to seven minutes as a start.

Johannes and his team assumed the average hotel shower lasts 8.2 minutes, using 17.2 gallons of water per guest per shower.

“Initially our device/app seeks to get hotel guests to reduce their water use by 10 percent or to reduce their showers by about one minute,” he said.

Johannes provided a link to Home Water Works, which recommends taking a five minute shower to reduce water use.

The website, which is a project of the Alliance for Water Efficiency, also suggests watering plants with discarded cold water from showers that take a long time to heat up, and taking “navy showers.”

“The method requires three steps: 1) turn on water to rinse body and hair; 2) turn off water while shampooing hair and washing body with soap and washcloth; 3) resume water flow and rinse off all shampoo and soap,” the group said. “Using this technique, the total duration of water flow can easily be reduced to 5 minutes or less.”

EPA Wants to Monitor How Long Hotel Guests Spend in the Shower Washington Free Beacon
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy shit.

So when I stay in a hotel, I am showering there instead of at home. I don't figure how I am wasting more water this way. I probably take a longer shower at home. Because when I am at a hotel there is usually a reason, and I am hurrying to be someplace. You have to love the logic of pencil pushers.

So when I stay in a hotel, I am showering there instead of at home. I don't figure how I am wasting more water this way. I probably take a longer shower at home. Because when I am at a hotel there is usually a reason, and I am hurrying to be someplace. You have to love the logic of pencil pushers.

It is the first step in trying to find ways to charge people more money for water use. It is a typical scam. Designed to create another revenue stream and they will use the "environment" to justify the charge.

That will then lead to monitoring private homes.

Oh, there are a plethora of things that will be targeted under the guise of "environmental concerns." Much like the use of the word "safety" the government and companies use it for charges. Ever see how the NFL fines their ignorant millionaires under the guise of "safety?" LOL at that.

Anyway, get ready for being charged for the energy output of your cable boxes in the near future etc etc.

The dumbest thing is their proposed procedure results in people fumbling around for the water controls while soaped up and probably eyes closed.

So we trade for water consumption reduction, but get an increase injuries, , and probably lose more time as a person fumbles around to get the temperature right.

It is the first step in trying to find ways to charge people more money for water use. It is a typical scam. Designed to create another revenue stream and they will use the "environment" to justify the charge.

Oh, there are a plethora of things that will be targeted under the guise of "environmental concerns." Much like the use of the word "safety" the government and companies use it for charges. Ever see how the NFL fines their ignorant millionaires under the guise of "safety?" LOL at that.

Anyway, get ready for being charged for the energy output of your cable boxes in the near future etc etc.

Everything the government is a scam now, they are always finding ways to finance it's out of control behavior.

Goo ahead and waste water, what the hell do you short sighted old fucks care...

Every day there are at least 5 billion flushes per day. Most likely more than that. There are at least oh....6 billion showers. It is has been like that, for at least 100 years now.

How, in the world is there any water left?

LOL at fucking liberals. Flushing toilets and showers does not make the water cycle stop. You fucking gullible morons.

Goo ahead and waste water, what the hell do you short sighted old fucks care...
Who said anything about wasting water...you silly old fool.

You leftists can always be counted on to give up your liberty to an ever expanding government under the guise of some unproven do good government backed program.

I think it is kind of funny too how the morons on the left think crude unrefined oil is pollution on the planet.

They do not know there is millions of gallons of crude seeping from the ocean floor since there was crude. I wonder if they think the reason there are tar balls on all of the beaches in the world is because of Boooooosh.

Crude, is as natural as shit from a whale. LOL at liberals and their stupidity.

This is no big deal.

The left likes telling us what to do. They figure we can't figure out how to conserve or figure out how not to be wasteful. So they raise the price of everything. Eventually they'll require that our thermostats are all computer controlled like they are on government installations.

You dumb fuck. Water companies already monitor water usage. How in the hell do you think they bill you?

Ask farmers in CA how much they would be willing to pay for water right now.

Water,. the one resource that no one on this earth can get by without will one day be the most prized material on the planet.

But you asshole rethugs are all for wasting it like there is a never ending supply. Of course that;'s what you say about oil as well.

Ask those fine people in CA if water is available in a never ending supply.

The EPA can kiss my ads, who the fuck wound want a hotel shower app?

All the EPA is becoming, a back door for the ultra looney left to control industry and there hatred of capitalism

Another child who Don't stand for fucking anything except what he is told.

Critical thinking? My ass, your type floats in the wind

Pathetic
People like you typically die off. The inability to change and adapt invariably causes extinction. Ask the Neanderthal.

Everyone dies. Aren't you guilty of the same mindset that said blacks were an inferior race who weren't capable of governing themselves?

No need to answer. Yes you are.
No I'm not guilty of the same mindset. If anything Black is a superior race. Thats why nature chose homo sapiens as a Black man. I know you didnt want an answer but thats too bad.

You just proved you have the same mindset again. When did nature "choose" the black man?
When Homo Sapiens came about. Dont tell me you didnt know homo sapiens arose in Africa and was a Black man?

You dumb fuck. Water companies already monitor water usage. How in the hell do you think they bill you?

Water,. the one resource that no one on this earth can get by without will one day be the most prized material on the planet.

But you asshole rethugs are all for wasting it like there is a never ending supply. Of course that;'s what you say about oil as well.

You can not destroy water, you do know you are drinking dinosaur piss right now, or do you?

You are a complete fucking tool.

Water companies do not monitor individual usage in a hotel...

Apparently you fail to see the difference between monitoring by the central government and that of water companies.

Some Americans will gladly allow the central government to do whatever it wants, under the guise of some stupid do-gooder cause.

Last edited:
The EPA can kiss my ads, who the fuck wound want a hotel shower app?

All the EPA is becoming, a back door for the ultra looney left to control industry and there hatred of capitalism
When you run short of fresh water you can add that to the things the govt. failed at....

Forum List

Back