EPA To Alaskans In Sub-Zero Temps: Stop Burning Wood To Keep Warm

That shit wouldn't fly up here, people would die.

also, Diesels kind of hate Alaska cause folks don't let them warm up. Actually, cars kind of hate Alaska when they don't have garages... We're heading into "Snakes on the road" season (generally Jan/Feb when we hit the dead of winter and 20 to 30 below) - that's when you find belts all over the place because they freeze and snap heh

Dew ewe walk or drive? Ewe notice climate warmers never walk.

Many drive a Prius. And those are not really all that environment-friendly considering all the electricity used. But, they still pretend to be superior. I want to see Al Gore on a bicycle and living in a small house before I'll believe a word he says.

The same thing with ethanol. Since we started to burn up our food supply for energy, our grocery bills have sky rocketed. Funny thing is that ethanol is more of a pollutant than gasoline. But what the hell, it makes liberals feel good.

I refuse to put ethanol in my truck. It's crap and the few cents you might save per gallon won't begin to cover the repair bills at the auto shop.

Even after they knew that ethanol was just as big of a pollutant and hard on vehicles, they refuse to stop pushing it. And they don't care that it raises food prices. Nothing good came of it except money for the farmers who grow the corn. Like every other failed idea, they won't ever scrap it and go back to the drawing board.

i avoid ethanol as well

i dont care for the crappy gas mileage

also harder to start in the winter

From what I've read, it also screws up your engine as well.

Many drive a Prius. And those are not really all that environment-friendly considering all the electricity used. But, they still pretend to be superior. I want to see Al Gore on a bicycle and living in a small house before I'll believe a word he says.

The same thing with ethanol. Since we started to burn up our food supply for energy, our grocery bills have sky rocketed. Funny thing is that ethanol is more of a pollutant than gasoline. But what the hell, it makes liberals feel good.

I refuse to put ethanol in my truck. It's crap and the few cents you might save per gallon won't begin to cover the repair bills at the auto shop.

Even after they knew that ethanol was just as big of a pollutant and hard on vehicles, they refused to stop pushing it. And they don't care that it raises food prices. Nothing good came of it except money for the farmers who grow the corn. Like every other failed idea, they won't ever scrap it and go back to the drawing board.

The left's ideas usually cause financial hardships for the average person. We can't live without heat in winter but we go broke paying utility bills because they outlaw cheaper options. We have to have health insurance by law so we go broke paying high premiums and paying out of pocket all year due to high deductibles. We can't even water our gardens with rain water saved in barrels because it's illegal. Many states restrict water use on top of it. They would rather we pay high grocery store prices than grow our own food. Again, they are making it hard for us to choose a cheaper and healthier option. They are making it so people can't be self-sufficient.

I was trading commodities when the ethanal thing started to happen. My agent told me to put all my money into corn. I was in the middle of something else at the time, but I monitored the market as it went sky high.

What happened is that farmers dumped whatever they were growing to harvest corn. That left us with other crops being depleted like oats, barley, soybeans, and just about any other grain in the market. What people didn't understand is that quality meats use grains for feed, so of course as that got expensive, so did chicken, beef and pork. Every food product went up in price, and it hasn't come down since.

Here we have no choice but to use ethanol. For some reason, it's at every gas station in our area. Mind you it's only 10% ethanol, but that's enough to give you mechanical problems down the road.

Yes. Mechanics will tell you that it causes major damage. Maybe some of the newer cars handle it better but most people would be smart to avoid it.

It is some toxic shit. When they started using it, gasoline pumps would get destroyed. They all had to be replaced to handle ethanol.

When I lived in Alaska people hooked their cars up to a thing called a headbolt heater!

Yes. Mechanics will tell you that it causes major damage. Maybe some of the newer cars handle it better but most people would be smart to avoid it.

It is some toxic shit. When they started using it, gasoline pumps would get destroyed. They all had to be replaced to handle ethanol.

The pumps are often out of order. Liberals still push this stuff as some solution to global warming and they don't care that it's doing more harm than good. I honestly think they want to destroy vehicles. They would rather we all ride public transportation. I think they'd rather have us all living in communes, as well, which is why they keep raising property taxes and making policies that increase utilities.

Just what they want...

Even after they knew that ethanol was just as big of a pollutant and hard on vehicles, they refused to stop pushing it. And they don't care that it raises food prices. Nothing good came of it except money for the farmers who grow the corn. Like every other failed idea, they won't ever scrap it and go back to the drawing board.

The left's ideas usually cause financial hardships for the average person. We can't live without heat in winter but we go broke paying utility bills because they outlaw cheaper options. We have to have health insurance by law so we go broke paying high premiums and paying out of pocket all year due to high deductibles. We can't even water our gardens with rain water saved in barrels because it's illegal. Many states restrict water use on top of it. They would rather we pay high grocery store prices than grow our own food. Again, they are making it hard for us to choose a cheaper and healthier option. They are making it so people can't be self-sufficient.

Even after they knew that ethanol was just as big of a pollutant and hard on vehicles, they refuse to stop pushing it. And they don't care that it raises food prices. Nothing good came of it except money for the farmers who grow the corn. Like every other failed idea, they won't ever scrap it and go back to the drawing board.

i avoid ethanol as well

i dont care for the crappy gas mileage

also harder to start in the winter

yes

When I lived in Alaska people hooked their cars up to a thing called a headbolt heater!
In northern Maine, some of our public parking lots have plugs all through the lot so people can plug in their engine block heaters. Or at least, so I'm told.

Headbolt heaters just keep the oil from freezing. There's also battery blankets so it doesn't get sapped too much to start. During cold snaps we have to start all of our cars every day or the batteries all die, then they freeze and you're buying a new battery.

Further north there are times of the year that you cannot shut your car off.

Your boy Trump is a huge fan of ethanol!!

Trump calls for higher ethanol mandate

I buy non-ethanol gas, so I don't care.....

Headbolt heaters just keep the oil from freezing. There's also battery blankets so it doesn't get sapped too much to start. During cold snaps we have to start all of our cars every day or the batteries all die, then they freeze and you're buying a new battery.

Further north there are times of the year that you cannot shut your car off.
Really, you LIKE it there? I won't even watch all the Alaska shows on cable--seems everyone is fascinated with freezing their tail off.

I buy non-ethanol gas, so I don't care.....

Based on your posting, you apparently buy gas by the bag.

I've been in Alaska for over 40 years, born and raised - I love it here. I've got some particulars though, like I can't sweat so if it goes over like 75 or so I melt :p

Meh once you get used to how to deal with the cold season it's no biggie really. I mean my mean temp all year long is 65 F or so, I might have to suck it up at 20 below once in a while to dodge into the store or the shop, but in general it doesn't effect me that much. I mean there's subtle stuff, like you get worried about the pipes and septic freezing up if there's not enough snow insulation. You can't leave a soda in the car when you go shopping or you'll come back to a can worm. You have to pack some cold weather supplies when you're out driving ( a blanket, lighter/hot packs, and maybe some self heating hot chocolate, a shovel is a good idea, along with jumper cables. ) You also learn that hoods on jackets are awesome, and scarfs are good for more than just neck warming or looks. Auto-start might well be the best invention /ever/ heh

I've been in Alaska for over 40 years, born and raised - I love it here. I've got some particulars though, like I can't sweat so if it goes over like 75 or so I melt :p

Meh once you get used to how to deal with the cold season it's no biggie really. I mean my mean temp all year long is 65 F or so, I might have to suck it up at 20 below once in a while to dodge into the store or the shop, but in general it doesn't effect me that much. I mean there's subtle stuff, like you get worried about the pipes and septic freezing up if there's not enough snow insulation. You can't leave a soda in the car when you go shopping or you'll come back to a can worm. You have to pack some cold weather supplies when you're out driving ( a blanket, lighter/hot packs, and maybe some self heating hot chocolate, a shovel is a good idea, along with jumper cables. ) You also learn that hoods on jackets are awesome, and scarfs are good for more than just neck warming or looks. Auto-start might well be the best invention /ever/ heh
I understand. I was not actually born and raised in Maine, though my parents were and from the time I was an infant I spent a lot of time up here. The natives still terrify me at times, the ones who are wearing t-shirts and no coat when the temps hit the 30's. And they're not cold. I'm in a parka 'til April and I don't give a damn who wonders about it.

There's a certain degree of adaptation to the environment. My parents just moved to Nevada full time last year, they said they can't come up in the winter anymore :p (FYI They call that snowbirding, they'll live up here in the summer and down in the states in the winter, best of both worlds)

Oh that reminds me of a funny story, so one of our family friends fell and broke their hip shoveling off the walk way like 2 years ago, then that same year my father nearly slipped off the 3rd story deck while shoveling and he went on a huge rant and rage campaign about hating shoveling and so forth until my mother finally agreed that he'd never have to shovel again! AKA why they sold their place and moved full time to NV.

Anyway, so early December this year my father goes hunting up in North Dakota, it was when they had that blizzard so the hunting trip got canceled before they could get more than a goose (they were going for moose) so his buddy starts getting ready to go out the day they were supposed to go hunting and my father was like huh?!? His buddy says, when it snows I go shovel all the older folks driveways for them. So my father ended up helping to shovel of like 10 driveways lol

Oh that reminds me of a funny story, so one of our family friends fell and broke their hip shoveling off the walk way like 2 years ago, then that same year my father nearly slipped off the 3rd story deck while shoveling and he went on a huge rant and rage campaign about hating shoveling and so forth until my mother finally agreed that he'd never have to shovel again! AKA why they sold their place and moved full time to NV.

Anyway, so early December this year my father goes hunting up in North Dakota, it was when they had that blizzard so the hunting trip got canceled before they could get more than a goose (they were going for moose) so his buddy starts getting ready to go out the day they were supposed to go hunting and my father was like huh?!? His buddy says, when it snows I go shovel all the older folks driveways for them. So my father ended up helping to shovel of like 10 driveways lol
Poor Dad!

Forum List

Back