Enviromental Disorder

What is this 31,000 scientists figure you are talking about?

31,000 scientists signed a petition....
Sorry this was being discussed in a different thread.

Home - Global Warming Petition Project

We urge the United States government to reject the global warming agreement that was written in Kyoto, Japan in December, 1997, and any other similar proposals. The proposed limits on greenhouse gases would harm the environment, hinder the advance of science and technology, and damage the health and welfare of mankind.

There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.

Okay, thanks Jreeves. I, too, could sign the petition and pretend I'm a scientist and that would be just about as meaningless as the other 31,000.

I love nature, I love animals most of all, and trees, nothing is more beautiful than a tree on a landscape. The earth is going through it's own cycle and yes, we may have contributed a bit to some of it, but the earth and it's atmosphere more than capable to handle anything we have done. The things these nuts talk of, won't do a darned thing to stop this "global warming". Just because temps may be higher than anytime in history (and that is a lie btw) does not mean a thing. We have not been around that long, and the earth has. It's been through cycle upon cycle long before we were here.

We are going to go extinct pretty soon. It would be absurd to notion otherwise. Soon being the next 100k or so. The earth will adapt to what we have done, but it's a guessing game as to whether the earth will wipe us out because of what we do, or because of natural cycles. All I hope for is that we leave it the same for our kids, and save some f-ing oil for the times that other countries want to fight us for it. Energy is one of the most important, if not the most, resource in warfare. WW3 is coming eventually, and there's a damn good chance possession of oil reserves will determine the victor.

We are going to go extinct pretty soon. It would be absurd to notion otherwise. Soon being the next 100k or so. The earth will adapt to what we have done, but it's a guessing game as to whether the earth will wipe us out because of what we do, or because of natural cycles. All I hope for is that we leave it the same for our kids, and save some f-ing oil for the times that other countries want to fight us for it. Energy is one of the most important, if not the most, resource in warfare. WW3 is coming eventually, and there's a damn good chance possession of oil reserves will determine the victor.
I agree with all you just wrote.

Click on the link. There's a form to fill out and mail in. I don't see how they verify anything.

I guess that's why you have to mail it in, instead of signing it on the internet huh, because there is no verfication process?

Last edited:
I guess that's why you have to mail it in, instead of signing it on the internet huh, because there is no verfication process.

If you show me some evidence that they check on the validity of people mailing it in, I might believe it. It'd also be interesting to know what they are considering "scientists" and what type of science they practice.

If you show me some evidence that they check on the validity of people mailing it in, I might believe it. It'd also be interesting to know what they are considering "scientists" and what type of science they practice.

Qualifications of Signers

Signatories are approved for inclusion in the Petition Project list if they have obtained formal educational degrees at the level of Bachelor of Science or higher in appropriate scientific fields. The petition has been circulated only in the United States.

The current list of 31,072 petition signers includes 9,021 PhD; 6,961 MS; 2,240 MD and DVM; and 12,850 BS or equivalent academic degrees. Most of the MD and DVM signers also have underlying degrees in basic science.

All of the listed signers have formal educations in fields of specialization that suitably qualify them to evaluate the research data related to the petition statement. Many of the signers currently work in climatological, meteorological, atmospheric, environmental, geophysical, astronomical, and biological fields directly involved in the climate change controversy.

The Petition Project classifies petition signers on the basis of their formal academic training, as summarized below. Scientists often pursue specialized fields of endeavor that are different from their formal education, but their underlying training can be applied to any scientific field in which they become interested.

Outlined below are the numbers of Petition Project signatories, subdivided by educational specialties. These have been combined, as indicated, into seven categories.

1. Atmospheric, environmental, and Earth sciences includes 3,697 scientists trained in specialties directly related to the physical environment of the Earth and the past and current phenomena that affect that environment.

2. Computer and mathematical sciences includes 903 scientists trained in computer and mathematical methods. Since the human-caused global warming hypothesis rests entirely upon mathematical computer projections and not upon experimental observations, these sciences are especially important in evaluating this hypothesis.

3. Physics and aerospace sciences include 5,691 scientists trained in the fundamental physical and molecular properties of gases, liquids, and solids, which are essential to understanding the physical properties of the atmosphere and Earth.

4. Chemistry includes 4,796 scientists trained in the molecular interactions and behaviors of the substances of which the atmosphere and Earth are composed.

5. Biology and agriculture includes 2,924 scientists trained in the functional and environmental requirements of living things on the Earth.

6. Medicine includes 3,069 scientists trained in the functional and environmental requirements of human beings on the Earth.

7. Engineering and general science includes 9,992 scientists trained primarily in the many engineering specialties required to maintain modern civilization and the prosperity required for all human actions, including environmental programs.

The following outline gives a more detailed analysis of the signers' educations.

Global Warming Petition Project

Qualifications of Signers

Signatories are approved for inclusion in the Petition Project list if they have obtained formal educational degrees at the level of Bachelor of Science or higher in appropriate scientific fields. The petition has been circulated only in the United States.

The current list of 31,072 petition signers includes 9,021 PhD; 6,961 MS; 2,240 MD and DVM; and 12,850 BS or equivalent academic degrees. Most of the MD and DVM signers also have underlying degrees in basic science.

All of the listed signers have formal educations in fields of specialization that suitably qualify them to evaluate the research data related to the petition statement. Many of the signers currently work in climatological, meteorological, atmospheric, environmental, geophysical, astronomical, and biological fields directly involved in the climate change controversy.

The Petition Project classifies petition signers on the basis of their formal academic training, as summarized below. Scientists often pursue specialized fields of endeavor that are different from their formal education, but their underlying training can be applied to any scientific field in which they become interested.

Outlined below are the numbers of Petition Project signatories, subdivided by educational specialties. These have been combined, as indicated, into seven categories.

1. Atmospheric, environmental, and Earth sciences includes 3,697 scientists trained in specialties directly related to the physical environment of the Earth and the past and current phenomena that affect that environment.

2. Computer and mathematical sciences includes 903 scientists trained in computer and mathematical methods. Since the human-caused global warming hypothesis rests entirely upon mathematical computer projections and not upon experimental observations, these sciences are especially important in evaluating this hypothesis.

3. Physics and aerospace sciences include 5,691 scientists trained in the fundamental physical and molecular properties of gases, liquids, and solids, which are essential to understanding the physical properties of the atmosphere and Earth.

4. Chemistry includes 4,796 scientists trained in the molecular interactions and behaviors of the substances of which the atmosphere and Earth are composed.

5. Biology and agriculture includes 2,924 scientists trained in the functional and environmental requirements of living things on the Earth.

6. Medicine includes 3,069 scientists trained in the functional and environmental requirements of human beings on the Earth.

7. Engineering and general science includes 9,992 scientists trained primarily in the many engineering specialties required to maintain modern civilization and the prosperity required for all human actions, including environmental programs.

The following outline gives a more detailed analysis of the signers' educations.

Global Warming Petition Project

They have a breakdown of all of the scientists on the petition.

The project has fulfilled the expectations of its organizers. In PhD scientist signers alone, the project already includes 15-times more scientists than are seriously involved in the United Nations IPCC process. The very large number of petition signers demonstrates that, if there is a consensus among American scientists, it is in opposition to the human-caused global warming hypothesis rather than in favor of it. Moreover, the current totals of 31,072 signers, including 9,021 PhDs, are limited only by Petition Project resources. As the project obtains more funds for printing and postage, these numbers can become much higher.

Last edited:
1/3 of the self identified "scientists" were engineers.

But you know...none of that matters.

Because this administration doesn't give a rat's ass what the scientific community thinks, anyway.

That much must be obvious to most of us, yes?

IDK, jreeves. Doesn't it seem a bit suspect that they have gotten 31k scientists to sign off? And the highest number of signees are just basic college grads in science majors?

I'm not doubting there is a lot of doubtful scientists. There damn well better be since it IS science. We doubt everything in science. It's part of the biz.

1/3 of the self identified "scientists" were engineers.

But you know...none of that matters.

Because this administration doesn't give a rat's ass what the scientific community thinks, anyway.

That much must be obvious to most of us, yes?

Ok, let me try this a different way.....Is it your contention that temperatures have risen by 0.5 degrees due to CO2 emmissions? Or exactly what effects are humans having on the climate?

It is my contention that I am not impressed so much by numbers as I am by who the numbers represent.

Now when the world's climatologist, meteorolgists, it's finest scientifica communities whose business it is to know these things all come out with findings from various fields of science which support the basic assertion that the world's climates seem to be getting warmer...

AND

when I see the effects of the climatic changes with my own eyes in things like hurricanes. tonadic activity, the types of bird and insects coming to the land I own, and so forth

THEN

I am inclined to accept that something unusual IS happening.

This game of the dueling experts do NOT impress me, folks.

Forum List

Back