Engagement Rings

I didn't buy my wife an engagement ring until we had been married for a few years. She didn't want one prior to marriage, better to save the money in her opinion. Down the road I wanted to buy her diamonds, so I went with an engagement ring. She loved it.

Never did the engagement ring thing, just the wedding ones. I think that if the wife has to wear a wedding ring than the husband should wear one too. I'm a widow now and although I do sort of still consider myself to be married in a weird sort of way, I no longer wear the ring. As a general thing I don't much like wearing rings or any kind of jewelry really.

Never did the engagement ring thing, just the wedding ones. I think that if the wife has to wear a wedding ring than the husband should wear one too. I'm a widow now and although I do sort of still consider myself to be married in a weird sort of way, I no longer wear the ring. As a general thing I don't much like wearing rings or any kind of jewelry really.

I've never worn a wedding ring.

I didn't buy my wife an engagement ring until we had been married for a few years. She didn't want one prior to marriage, better to save the money in her opinion. Down the road I wanted to buy her diamonds, so I went with an engagement ring. She loved it.
Very romantic!

:thup:

After I posted, I miscounted. He is my fifth fiance. :redface:

But, I've only been married once before. ;)

I certainly didn't want him to overspend. I'd rather go on a few snorkeling vacays than wear a bigger rock.

Yup. Make memories, that's the way ya do it.
Absolutely!

Funny, just the other day I was curious about my ex. He just finished with wife number four.

:lmao:

(I was number two for him. Too funny.)

Mine hasn't moved on from my follow-up, but he will. He's a serial monogamist.

Yup. Make memories, that's the way ya do it.
Absolutely!

Funny, just the other day I was curious about my ex. He just finished with wife number four.

:lmao:

(I was number two for him. Too funny.)

Mine hasn't moved on from my follow-up, but he will. He's a serial monogamist.
I like that term.

Of my fiances, only two have been American, too.

We all have our own issues and I have my share of them.

For those of you who are married, what was the engagement ring process?

8faaff9bdcfe431386de27771260dc99-199x195.png

There are those who say that an engagement right is something a man gives to a woman, and that therefore selection of the ring (and indeed payment for it) should be entirely the guy's responsibility.

There are other who say that, as the woman will wear it, she should be involved in the choice of the design / stones / setting.

My wife has a family heirloom so it doesn't really apply to us, but I just saw a commercial where a girl says "I'm sending my boyfriend to Jerrod (jeweler)" and it made me wonder whether it is now traditional for the woman to have as much or even more say in the final selection.

What was your experience or, if not married, what would be your preference?

Mine is a family diamond... great grandmothers... that was reset to my liking.

I was ready to marry hubby with a $5.00 ring from Kmart. I was later given an heirloom ring by my hubby's Grandmother. If you love somebody, how much or who picks out the ring shouldn't matter much. IMO this is one reason why so many American Marriages fail. Too much time spent on the ring,dress, venue,and not enough time thinking about life after the commitment.

Been married almost 29 years.

Last edited:
Exactly. My chosen engagement ring was from an antique store. It was a little sterling silver daisy with a pink stone in it. $12. I wore that until my wedding day, at which time I burst into tears at my wedding when I saw that my deceased maternal grandmother's anniversary set (four days older than me) was my new wedding ring.

My wife's is a daisy design!

Mine is a large diamond in a circle of 12 smaller diamonds set in a square Platinum or white gold antique setting. It used to have four stones in the corners of square but my mother in law hocked them after she diviorced my father in law. She gave the ring as collateral to her mother for some quick cash and never paid it back. When I became engaged to hubby his grandmother gave me the ring. My oldest will inherit it next. It will have been passed four generations by then. :)

There are those who say that an engagement right is something a man gives to a woman, and that therefore selection of the ring (and indeed payment for it) should be entirely the guy's responsibility.

There are other who say that, as the woman will wear it, she should be involved in the choice of the design / stones / setting.

My wife has a family heirloom so it doesn't really apply to us, but I just saw a commercial where a girl says "I'm sending my boyfriend to Jerrod (jeweler)" and it made me wonder whether it is now traditional for the woman to have as much or even more say in the final selection.

I have sold diamonds for several years, beginninng in 2000. It has been my experience that the couple involved came in together to make a selection. The man's C/C was used and the woman selected the size, style and quality of the ring with the man usually being in agreement. Going against custom, I preferred showing customers the rings that were within their budget, if they answered "yes" to my "budget" question.

Only a few times did the man come in alone and do the selecting. One was a district attorney. His fiancee` returned it for an exchange, within a week. :lol: The other was a college student who was buying it for his pregnant fiancee` and he seemed very anxious.

After 4, I guess you knew exactly what you wanted! :lol:

Actually, my brother has been married 5 times.
After I posted, I miscounted. He is my fifth fiance. :redface:

But, I've only been married once before. ;)

I certainly didn't want him to overspend. I'd rather go on a few snorkeling vacays than wear a bigger rock.

You miscounted? :lmao:

Trust me....it happens. I know, personally, of this....:lol:

I have sold diamonds for several years, beginninng in 2000. It has been my experience that the couple involved came in together to make a selection. The man's C/C was used and the woman selected the size, style and quality of the ring with the man usually being in agreement. Going against custom, I preferred showing customers the rings that were within their budget, if they answered "yes" to my "budget" question.

Only a few times did the man come in alone and do the selecting. One was a district attorney. His fiancee` returned it for an exchange, within a week. :lol: The other was a college student who was buying it for his pregnant fiancee` and he seemed very anxious.

That's interesting. I've always found diamonds fascinating. I used to have a client in London at a place called Hatton Garden, which was diamond central in the UK. He once sat down with me in his shop and he and his wife explained diamonds to me for about 2 hours.

Cut, clarity, carat, color. He showed me examples of what he was talking about. Turned off the fluorescent lights so I could look at them through a loupe in daylight. Showed me that there were even flaws in some of them. Showed me an example of a blue white diamond. It was, without a doubt, the most fascinating 2 hours of my life.

These were all just diamonds BTW, not one of them was in a setting. He showed me one in a setting that was almost exactly the same cut, color etc as one of the loose ones. It looked totally different. I've never forgotten it. Fabulous memory.

That said, he did lament the fact that the vast majority of people these days (and this was in the late 80s) seemed to not give a damn about cut or clarity so long as it looked white and sparkly and (above all) big.

Big smile of my face just thinking about it. It must be a fascinating career.

EDIT: I've used fascinating too many times in this post!

Last edited:

That's interesting. I've always found diamonds fascinating. I used to have a client in London at a place called Hatton Garden, which was diamond central in the UK. He once sat down with me in his shop and he and his wife explained diamonds to me for about 2 hours.

Cut, clarity, carat, color. He showed me examples of what he was talking about. Turned off the fluorescent lights so I could look at them through a loupe in daylight. Showed me that there were even flaws in some of them. Showed me an example of a blue white diamond. It was, without a doubt, the most fascinating 2 hours of my life.

These were all just diamonds BTW, not one of them was in a setting. He showed me one in a setting that was almost exactly the same cut, color etc as one of the loose ones. It looked totally different. I've never forgotten it. Fabulous memory.

That said, he did lament the fact that the vast majority of people these days (and this was in the late 80s) seemed to not give a damn about cut or clarity so long as it looked white and sparkly and (above all) big.

I know Hatton Garden very well! Totally love that place. I have a particular passion for pink diamonds.... I got a stunning ring from the parents for my birthday - 3 pink diamonds. It's so beautiful!

I know Hatton Garden very well! Totally love that place. I have a particular passion for pink diamonds.... I got a stunning ring from the parents for my birthday - 3 pink diamonds. It's so beautiful!

Don't know if you know this place, but the London Silver Vaults on Chancery Lane is well worth a visit. Dozens of tiny little shops selling all kinds of beautiful stuff (much more than just silver)

Antique silver dealers and shops in London, England - The London Silver Vaults

Don't know if you know this place, but the London Silver Vaults on Chancery Lane is well worth a visit. Dozens of tiny little shops selling all kinds of beautiful stuff (much more than just silver)

Antique silver dealers and shops in London, England - The London Silver Vaults

Cool link!

I'll investigate when I'm next in London. Hopefully this weekend.

Exactly. My chosen engagement ring was from an antique store. It was a little sterling silver daisy with a pink stone in it. $12. I wore that until my wedding day, at which time I burst into tears at my wedding when I saw that my deceased maternal grandmother's anniversary set (four days older than me) was my new wedding ring.

I shall PM you a sweet little personal anecdote.... I ain't posting it on the board for the assclowns to bitch about. :lol:

Ya never did. I gave you plenty of time. I'm going to go cry now. Yup.

:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back