Engagement Rings

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
For those of you who are married, what was the engagement ring process?

8faaff9bdcfe431386de27771260dc99-199x195.png

There are those who say that an engagement right is something a man gives to a woman, and that therefore selection of the ring (and indeed payment for it) should be entirely the guy's responsibility.

There are other who say that, as the woman will wear it, she should be involved in the choice of the design / stones / setting.

My wife has a family heirloom so it doesn't really apply to us, but I just saw a commercial where a girl says "I'm sending my boyfriend to Jerrod (jeweler)" and it made me wonder whether it is now traditional for the woman to have as much or even more say in the final selection.

What was your experience or, if not married, what would be your preference?

We did the heirloom thing, too. I believe it varies from couple-to-couple, and I pity the fools who believe that bull about "should cost three months salary." My sister got the jaw-dropping diamond dripper, and she lives in hell.

Exactly. My chosen engagement ring was from an antique store. It was a little sterling silver daisy with a pink stone in it. $12. I wore that until my wedding day, at which time I burst into tears at my wedding when I saw that my deceased maternal grandmother's anniversary set (four days older than me) was my new wedding ring.

Exactly. My chosen engagement ring was from an antique store. It was a little sterling silver daisy with a pink stone in it. $12. I wore that until my wedding day, at which time I burst into tears at my wedding when I saw that my deceased maternal grandmother's anniversary set (four days older than me) was my new wedding ring.

My wife's is a daisy design!

Generally an engagement ring is attached to a man's penis with a gilded chain attached to her pinky finger. The wedding ring that replaces it is a cast iron nose ring affixed to an anchor chain.......... :eusa_whistle:

I shall PM you a sweet little personal anecdote.... I ain't posting it on the board for the assclowns to bitch about. :lol:

We shopped together for ours - took us less than an hour. Honestly, I wasn't all that picky. It's my fourth engagement, so he is much more important than the ring. The ring is just a formality.

Generally an engagement ring is attached to a man's penis with a gilded chain attached to her pinky finger. The wedding ring that replaces it is a cast iron nose ring affixed to an anchor chain.......... :eusa_whistle:

That may or may not be, but who gets to choose it?

We shopped together for ours - took us less than an hour. Honestly, I wasn't all that picky. It's my fourth engagement, so he is much more important than the ring. The ring is just a formality.

After 4, I guess you knew exactly what you wanted! :lol:

Actually, my brother has been married 5 times.

Well, not everybody who gets engaged gets married. I can't count how many times I said 'yes.' I just almost always said 'no' when the progression toward the alter became imminent.

After I posted, I miscounted. He is my fifth fiance. :redface:

But, I've only been married once before. ;)

I certainly didn't want him to overspend. I'd rather go on a few snorkeling vacays than wear a bigger rock.

I certainly didn't want him to overspend. I'd rather go on a few snorkeling vacays than wear a bigger rock.

You miscounted? :lmao:

Yup. Make memories, that's the way ya do it.

Yup. Make memories, that's the way ya do it.
Absolutely!

Funny, just the other day I was curious about my ex. He just finished with wife number four.

:lmao:

(I was number two for him. Too funny.)

Forum List

Back