Ending Medicare Ryan-style Doesn't Save Any Money

I don't understand why those on the right can't comprehend this?

Here you need to be a little more discerning.

There are seem to be at least two types:

1) Those who understand what Ryan is proposing (like Ryan himself). They know he wants to break up Medicare and auction off the pieces. Think of the ideological victory! The most successful, popular federal program dismantled. The thought is probably giving them goosebumps. They know this is the more expensive option (particularly for seniors) but then that's not what's important here is it?

2) Rank-and-file types who don't really understand what he's proposing. These are the uber partisans who'll tell you the plan "saves" Medicare because that's what Ryan and the RNC have decided is the right messaging. They might even believe that seniors are better off taking on thousands of dollars in new premium costs for more expensive plans that will probably register lower customer satisfaction.

I suppose it's the difference between ideologues and pure partisans.

The already privatized part of Medicare, Medicare Advantage costs 14% more than the traditional Medicare.
the proof is already there that privatizing Medicare will NOT save money.

True, but the two schemes are opposites in some ways. Or rather, they're opposite approaches to heaping largess on the health insurance sector.

Medicare Advantage asks "how can we make Medicare more expensive, privatize it, and have the government pay for it?"

Ryan-Romney asks "how can we make Medicare more expensive, privatize it, and have seniors pay for it?"

Both conspicuously miss the more obvious question: how can we work on improving the popular, less expensive, more effective program we already have?
I don't understand why those on the right can't comprehend this?

Popular yes... The words beyond that......EMPTY...........

Forum List

Back