Endeavoring to better understand Trumpery.

berg80

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2017
If, like me, you have struggled to fully appreciate the nature of the total devotion Trump has inspired in his followers you will not find a more comprehensive explanation than the one in this article.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/202...p-his-rallies-are-church-and-he-is-the-gospel

[IMG]

Don't get me wrong. Reading the article will not comfort you. The takeaway from the article is not, "oh, now I understand what they see." It's, "OMG, this is dangerous, how the hell did this happen?!"

More than anything, it helps explain how an incompetent, ignorant, race baiting, adulterer maintains his hold on his flock. It helps explain why his supporters believe everything he says and defend everything he does. It helps explain why nothing we could ever say and no fact we could ever present will give them pause in their devotion. They believe they are on a righteous path. Persuading them to realize they aren't is an exercise in futility.

*Peterson is hardly fringe in this belief. Many followers deploy a familiar Christian-right formula for justifying abuses of power, declaring Trump a modern King David, a sinner nonetheless anointed, while others compare him to Queen Esther, destined to save Israelā€”or at least the evangelical imagination of itā€”from Iran. Still others draw parallels to Cyrus, the Old Testament Persian king who became a tool for Godā€™s will. ā€œA vessel for God,ā€ says former congressman Zach Wamp, now a member of The Family, the evangelical organization that hosts Trump every year at the National Prayer Breakfast. Lance Wallnau, a founding member of Trumpā€™s evangelical coalition, dubs him ā€œGodā€™s chaos candidateā€: ā€œthe self-made man who can ā€˜get it done,ā€™ enters the arena, and through the pressure of circumstance becomes the God-shaped man God enables to do what he could never do in his own strength.ā€

In Trumpā€™s case, divine backing is more about smiting than healing. When Rep. Elijah Cummings died last October shortly after sparring with Trump about Baltimore, Peterson declared on his radio show, ā€œHe deadā€ā€”like Trump enemies John McCain and Charles Krauthammer, Peterson noted. ā€œThatā€™s what happens when you mess with the Great White Hope. Donā€™t mess with Godā€™s children.ā€*

ā€œHallelujah!ā€

If, like me, you have struggled to fully appreciate the nature of the total devotion Trump has inspired in his followers you will not find a more comprehensive explanation than the one in this article.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/202...p-his-rallies-are-church-and-he-is-the-gospel

[IMG]

Don't get me wrong. Reading the article will not comfort you. The takeaway from the article is not, "oh, now I understand what they see." It's, "OMG, this is dangerous, how the hell did this happen?!"

More than anything, it helps explain how an incompetent, ignorant, race baiting, adulterer maintains his hold on his flock. It helps explain why his supporters believe everything he says and defend everything he does. It helps explain why nothing we could ever say and no fact we could ever present will give them pause in their devotion. They believe they are on a righteous path. Persuading them to realize they aren't is an exercise in futility.
Every so often in human history we've seen it - a bold, nationalistic strongman comes along who identifies and focuses on the frustrations of just enough of the populace to gain power.

He soothes and feeds their anger and paranoia and hatred of "the other", and cons them into believing he's like them and is fighting for them. So the people completely buy into it, on an organic, emotional, visceral level.

At some point, the conned realize what has happened, but not before quite a bit of damage his been done.

Later he is scorned by the most of the country and used as a cautionary tale.

We don't seem to learn.

Every so often in human history we've seen it - a bold, nationalistic strongman comes along who identifies and focuses on the frustrations of just enough of the populace to gain power.

He soothes and feeds their anger and paranoia and hatred of "the other", and cons them into believing he's like them and is fighting for them. So the people completely buy into it, on an organic, emotional, visceral level.

At some point, the conned realize what has happened, but not before quite a bit of damage his been done.

We don't seem to learn.
There is a frightening mystical, quasi-religious quality to Trumpette's devotion. It isn't just irrational, it's quite literally insane.

"As Trump knows, the best kind of dealā€”the kind that paysā€”is not only transactional, itā€™s transformative. With some minor exceptions, the establishment Christian right has embraced the gospel of Trump, and it has prospered: Trumpā€™s administration stocked top to bottom with its apostles, the movement mightier now than it was under George W. Bush or Ronald Reagan. Trump, meanwhile, has fused his penchant for self-pity with the paranoia that runs like a third rail through Christian conservatism, the thrilling promise of ā€œspiritual warā€ with dark and hidden powers.

In 2016, the Trump faith was name it and claim it, Make America Great Again, the prospect of the restoration of a -mythic (read: white) past. Now, though, the kingdom has come. Trump is no longer storming the gates; he holds the power. The faith for 2020, I learned at his rallies, is a secret one, its password a wink thatā€™s really a warning, its enemy invisible and everywhere: the deep state, the pedos and the FBI, Democrat-ruled sanctuary cities and the ā€œillegalsā€ they send forth to pillage the heartland. MAGA has become KAG, Keep America Greatā€”which requires not a new prosperity but the eradication of Americaā€™s enemies within. ā€œIf you do not bring forth what is within you,ā€ as the gospel of Thomas puts it, ā€œwhat you do not bring forth will destroy you.ā€

We don't seem to learn.
There is a frightening mystical, quasi-religious quality to Trumpette's devotion. It isn't just irrational, it's quite literally insane.
Yep, group pathology. We've seen it before.

Some people just react on another level to strongmen like this.

[IMG]

You guys are to politics and authoritarian agendas as great people are to building comfortable lives through genius and products. I did not see this. But I see you every ph ukn day. We at times get screwed over by others. I get it. But at least admit that you screw each other over at times. That is the difference.

[IMG]

We don't seem to learn.

Cool story...presented as nonfiction, when did such a thing take place here?

We don't seem to learn.

"As Trump knows, the best kind of dealā€”the kind that paysā€”is not only transactional, itā€™s transformative. With some minor exceptions, the establishment Christian right has embraced the gospel of Trump, and it has prospered: Trumpā€™s administration stocked top to bottom with its apostles, the movement mightier now than it was under George W. Bush or Ronald Reagan. Trump, meanwhile, has fused his penchant for self-pity with the paranoia that runs like a third rail through Christian conservatism, the thrilling promise of ā€œspiritual warā€ with dark and hidden powers.

In 2016, the Trump faith was name it and claim it, Make America Great Again, the prospect of the restoration of a -mythic (read: white) past. Now, though, the kingdom has come. Trump is no longer storming the gates; he holds the power. The faith for 2020, I learned at his rallies, is a secret one, its password a wink thatā€™s really a warning, its enemy invisible and everywhere: the deep state, the pedos and the FBI, Democrat-ruled sanctuary cities and the ā€œillegalsā€ they send forth to pillage the heartland. MAGA has become KAG, Keep America Greatā€”which requires not a new prosperity but the eradication of Americaā€™s enemies within. ā€œIf you do not bring forth what is within you,ā€ as the gospel of Thomas puts it, ā€œwhat you do not bring forth will destroy you.ā€
The problem we have is Biden is no better than a Trump. So, itā€™s not even a choice of the lesser of two evils.

I suppose one advantage for Joe is the MSM will be much nicer and admiring of him, so maybe thatā€™s an improvement that will dupe some into thinking things are better.

We don't seem to learn.

The problem we have is Biden is no better than a Trump. So, itā€™s not even a choice of the lesser of two evils.

I suppose one advantage for Joe is the MSM will be much nicer and admiring of him, so maybe thatā€™s an improvement that will dupe some into thinking things are better.
It's a lousy choice, again, but we have to get past this moment in our history.

Our racial problems are rotting by the moment, and this person is letting it happen, just to keep his base happy.

This is ugly. We have to get past it. Even if the alternative is this bad.

[IMG]

Endeavoring to better understand Trumpery.
Just as good, real Americans canā€™t wrap their heads around the Leftist filth ideologies....You fucked in the head weirdos wonā€™t be able to understand ā€œTrumperyā€.

We don't seem to learn.

Our racial problems are rotting by the moment, and this person is letting it happen, just to keep his base happy.

Many voted for a black man twice in the vain hope he would heal the nationā€™s racial wounds. Instead he chose to tear those wounds wide open.

We don't seem to learn.

Many voted for a black man twice in the vain hope he would heal the nationā€™s racial wounds. Instead he chose to tear those wounds wide open.
By far my biggest disappointment of his administration.

ā€œThere is a frightening mystical, quasi-religious quality to Trumpette's devotion. It isn't just irrational, it's quite literally insane.ā€

True.

Indeed, much of that insane, blind devotion is the consequence of the 2016 General Election.

To his supporters, Trump is imbued with messianic powers ā€“ against all odds, proving the pundits, political prognosticators, and polls all wrong, Trump not only won the coveted WH for the GOP, but he also defeated the hated Hillary.

And Trump supporters believe Trump will work his magic once again in 2020, no matter how far behind in the polls Trump might me.

Forum List

Back