End The Insanity Of The War on Drugs ~ Start With Decriminalizing Marijuana...

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Reasoning, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Reasoning

Reasoning Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    End The Insanity Of The War on Drugs ~ Start With Decriminalizing Marijuana On The Federal Level
    Commentary & Analysis
    Congressman Paul

In light of the recent drug-related violence in Mexico, it is appropriate to reflect on how our current prohibition laws affect crime, law enforcement and the economy.

Many will have the knee-jerk reaction of wanting to see more of a crackdown on illegal drugs. But I have to ask: Haven't we been cracking down on drugs for several decades only to see the black market flourish and the violence escalate? Could there be a more effective approach?

The illegality of drugs is, in fact, the Number One factor that keeps profits up for dealers and cartels, and ensures that organized crime dominates the market.

Cocaine, for example, has about a 17,000-percent markup and sells for more than gold in some areas. This is nothing new or unique to drugs, but a predictable outcome of prohibition.

During alcohol prohibition, Al Capone and others involved in organized crime made fortunes taking advantage of the dangerous and lucrative underground market the laws had created. Every time law enforcement makes another bust, profits rise for the remaining suppliers. These types of economic forces are insurmountable for law enforcement, but make for very good business for dealers and cartels.

For the rest of us, however, it is a disaster. The war on drugs keeps our prisons full to bursting at great expense to taxpayers, but also at great danger to the public at large when the real criminals, the murderers, the rapists, the child molesters, are let out to make room for non-violent drug offenders.

We imprison more of our population per capita than Russia or China ever have, and yet criminals like Philip Garrido (Jaycee Lee Dugard's kidnapper) are out there able to rape and kidnap again and again. (It is interesting that in his case, a little marijuana caught the attention of law enforcement more than repeated reports from neighbors of children in his backyard).

The War on Drugs skews the priorities of law enforcement to the detriment of the public.

Repeal of alcohol prohibition certainly did organized crime no favors. So too today, if we wanted to pull the rug out from under violent drug cartels, create legitimate job opportunities in place of the black market, realign the priorities of law enforcement, and make room in prison for the people that ought to be there, we need to end the insanity of the War on Drugs.

Decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level would be a start.
    © 2010 CNBC.com

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    Are you suggesting that they wont profit if drugs are legalized?

3. Reasoning

Reasoning Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Please clarify your question.

4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    I think the government should give drugs away for free to any dumb ass stupid enough to use them.

5. Reasoning

Reasoning Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Government's can't do anything for "free". They would need to steal money from their citizens to pay for the labor to make the drugs or they would need to steal the money from their citizens to pay for the purchase of the drugs.

:eusa_angel:

6. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Absolutely correct. And one more detriment to the US from this abysmal failure, the War on Drugs...the creation of power bases within government for such things as the DEA and the Drug Czar. Nothing ensures a problem will last forever more than creating a government agency to solve it.

Legalize everything and let the medical community deal with the issue of addiction. No one in my family is going to start using heroin...and I doubt any other rational people will do so. But all these years of suffering by the US and other nations is enough. Legalize drugs before Mexico drags us into the abyss we have created.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  7. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    I had a problem with addition and went to see my doctor about it. He wrote me a prescription for a pack of those math flash cards. Didn't help me a whole lot...:lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. teapartysamurai

teapartysamurai Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,889

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey I bet if we legalized murder, rape and theft, we could reduce crime in this country too!

9. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    While i do not see an issue with legalizing certain drugs such as pot. E and maybe shrooms certain ones I have concerns about. Things like meth and heroin and maybe coke are simply too addictive and life disrupting to just let people use them. Also any goverment legalization would require goverment control, similar I would think to state run booze stores. There would have to be a limit to how much can be dispensed at a certain time. With the drugs i mentioned soon the amount wouldn't be enough, and they would have to go to illiegal sources.

One benefit of at least legalizing some would be better focus on the bad ones.

10. Reasoning

Reasoning Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Victimless crimes are not crimes. ie: doing drugs

Crimes with victims are crimes. ie: murder, rape, theft

L2LOGICPLZ