End of "economic liberalism" (aka free market policies)

Mexicano

Mar 11, 2023
Now before getting into any semantic discussions. I am using the term economic liberalism as stated by Wikipedia.
"Economic liberalism is associated with markets and private ownership of capital assets. Economic liberals tend to oppose government intervention and protectionism in the market economy when it inhibits free trade and competition,"

The relevant part of the speech can be located at minute 21:40
A modern American industral strategy identifies specific sectors that are foundational to economic growth, strategic from a national security perspective
and where private industry on its own isn't poised to make the investments needed to secure our national ambitions.
It deploys targeted public investments in the areas that unlock the power and ingenuity of private markets, capitalism and competition to lay a foundation for long term growth.

This sounds a lot like central planning.

The U.S. doesn't support free markets, and both the GOP and Democratic Party has advocated central planning and management by technocrats since the 1960's. They both supported the formation of monopolies and cartels, and allowing them to set prices and determine production, and start the 'Too Big To Fail' agenda, starting with the Penn Central collapse and the take over of the financial sector by the giant banks, starting with CitiBank and the creation of CD's, even though those were illegal at the time; the Fed and Congress just looked the other way. This was all settled policy by the late 1970's, with the Democrats' Watergate Babies joining up with the GOP to crush those uppity populists. They both consider people to be just consumers and not citizens of a democracy with rights.

The U.S. doesn't support free markets, and both the GOP and Democratic Party has advocated central planning and management by technocrats since the 1960's. They both supported the formation of monopolies and cartels, and allowing them to set prices and determine production, and start the 'Too Big To Fail' agenda, starting with the Penn Central collapse and the take over of the financial sector by the giant banks, starting with CitiBank and the creation of CD's, even though those were illegal at the time; the Fed and Congress just looked the other way. This was all settled policy by the late 1970's, with the Democrats' Watergate Babies joining up with the GOP to crush those uppity populists. They both consider people to be just consumers and not citizens of a democracy with rights.
Well, you are right. I should have used the term neo-liberalism. I've had so many discussions that go from: neo-liberalism doesn't exist to there's no difference between liberalism and neo-liberalism that I've given up.

Forum List

Back