Employment

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
I can understand why unemployment is high, and, why unemployment collection is high as well.

Job searching now is well beyond the brief cover letter and resume of days past.

Understanding how companies look for people, and how cover letters and resumes are screened is key.
Many are computerized. Your cover letter and resume are "processed" by software to pick up on "key words" and if they are not in there they are just "dumped" - You virtually need an "education" on how to look for jobs if you have been out of the job search market for 10 or more years (maybe even less).

What you have done, your degrees and qualifications are not enough.
You have to know how to work the "system" -

Good luck!

Right now, I'm working with a Management Firm that the company contracted for me (2 free months of service) that offers teleconference and meetings etc. on what is going on in the job search marketplace.

This is what I am being told.

I'm sure smaller companies may look at the resumes themselves, but, there is a lot of work involved.Obviously, you need to be tech savvy, have a LinkedIn account (which I have had for some time) - but the days of cover letter, resume & send are over.

Just like the days of a 4.0 GPA was good enough to get you in a good University.

I can understand why unemployment is high, and, why unemployment collection is high as well.

Job searching now is well beyond the brief cover letter and resume of days past.

Understanding how companies look for people, and how cover letters and resumes are screened is key.
Many are computerized. Your cover letter and resume are "processed" by software to pick up on "key words" and if they are not in there they are just "dumped" - You virtually need an "education" on how to look for jobs if you have been out of the job search market for 10 or more years (maybe even less).

Good luck!

Bonzi are you looking for a job?

Unemployment is not high according to government stats. Employers are definitely looking for very specific skills and experiences though.

Good luck!

Yep. My official last day on my job was April 30, so, I am now in relearning and re-looking mode! Had a 90 minute teleconference yesterday on doing cover letters, networking etc. I was mentally DRAINED afterwards, but, ready take it one step at a time. Fortunately, I'm in good financial shape for a while, but eventually, I'll need to work again, and no need putting it off.....

Unemployment is not high according to government stats. Employers are definitely looking for very specific skills and experiences though.

It's very time consuming reading through all the ads, finding the ones that fit you best and tailoring your cover letter and resume to each specific job. My man doesn't understand that, he says I spend too much time looking and he could do it in 1 hour. So, now I am documenting everything I do to show him how much time it DOES involve!

I find it unbelievable that a company thinks a person who responds to a computer appropriately deserves a job. I want a person who can do more than communicate with a computer program, I have computers for that.

I am having to figure out how to get my cover letter and resume "right" for the systems just to get to the interview process.

And I have been looking BEFORE April 30, for some time now.

Do you realize you can be screened out just by addressing your cover letter: To Whom It May Concern because it is considered "old school"? Truth!

I am having to figure out how to get my cover letter and resume "right" for the systems just to get to the interview process.

Do you realize you can be screened out just by addressing your cover letter: To Whom It May Concern because it is considered "old school"? Truth!
Yep, you need to update it. Makes you look old. Should be more like...

"What up yo? I am down with whatever you got B. You need it, I got it."

I think I'll just run away from home and live on the streets!!!! :)

There's good money in that. You need a puppy dog and a cool sign. End it with "God bless". The homeless are always so religious.

Good luck!

Yep. My official last day on my job was April 30, so, I am now in relearning and re-looking mode! Had a 90 minute teleconference yesterday on doing cover letters, networking etc. I was mentally DRAINED afterwards, but, ready take it one step at a time. Fortunately, I'm in good financial shape for a while, but eventually, I'll need to work again, and no need putting it off.....
What were you doing before you lost your job?

Good luck!

Do you like your field?

You need to network more when you have a job, don't burn your bridges, stay connected LinkedIn.

Indeed is one of the best job search engines also beyond.

There's good money in that. You need a puppy dog and a cool sign. End it with "God bless". The homeless are always so religious.

I could just post my very best recent pic with and ad and ask someone to take me in

You need to network more when you have a job, don't burn your bridges, stay connected LinkedIn.

Indeed is one of the best job search engines also beyond.

Yep. I'm working both (am and have been on LinkedIn - says I'm near "Expert" level on my account)
Also, have Indeed sending me jobs daily with local opportunities.

I think my problems are my age - and my "old style" resume and cover letter.
I have probably sent out over 100 resumes in the last year and have only been called in for one interview, and the place wound up being someone's house, in a remote area, so I turned tail and ran!

Forum List

Back