Employment Gains for December and January Revised UPWARD by 15% in Latest BLS Report

mikegriffith1

Mike Griffith
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 23, 2012
Virginia
The folks at Advanced Manufacturing have pointed out something that I overlooked in the latest Department of Labor/BLS report on employment and unemployment: The job gains for December and January have been revised upward by 54,000, an increase of 15%!:

Also, the change in total nonfarm payroll employment for December 2017 was revised up from +160,000 to +175,000, and the change for January was revised up from +200,000 to +239,000, the Bureau said in a statement.

Based on these revisions, employment gains in December 2017 and January 2018 combined were 54,000 more than previously reported. (Manufacturing Adds 31,000 Jobs in February - Advanced Manufacturing; see also Employment Situation Summary)​

In other words, instead of a gain of 360,000 jobs for December and January, we actually had a gain of 414,000 jobs for those two months. That's an increase of 15% from the previous numbers.

And, of course, we also just found out that the economy created 313,000 jobs last month, including 31,000 new manufacturing jobs, which is the biggest jump in manufacturing jobs in over 40 years. (I said "in over 10 years" in another thread because I only went back to 2006; this time I checked data going back to the 1960s.) The last time we saw this kind of an increase in manufacturing jobs in one month was in the 1960s!

U.S. manufacturing jobs by year:

STATS | Number of US Manufacturing Jobs - Statistic Brain

Table B-1. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by industry sector and selected industry detail

And, no, these are not "burger-flipping jobs" as one resident liberal has falsely claimed:

Manufacturing Adds 31,000 Jobs in February - Advanced Manufacturing

Can you imagine what the liberals here would be saying if this had happened under Obama? Do you remember how liberals cheered and shouted at the slightest bit of mediocre economic news in the Obama years? But now they look for any flimsy excuse, any nit-picking reason not to rejoice over the truly encouraging economic developments that we're now seeing.

Can you imagine what the liberals here would be saying if this had happened under Obama? Do you remember how liberals cheered and shouted at the slightest bit of mediocre economic news in the Obama years? But now they look for any flimsy excuse, any nit-picking reason not to rejoice over the truly encouraging economic developments that we're now seeing.

I know what the cons would say . “Fake numbers . There’s 100,000,000 not working”. Which is what Trump said himslef ! Suddenly any good number is true now that he is prez.

It DID happen under Obama. Where were you?

Yes, one of the slowest recoveries from a recklessly caused recession indeed did happen.

The folks at Advanced Manufacturing have pointed out something that I overlooked in the latest Department of Labor/BLS report on employment and unemployment: The job gains for December and January have been revised upward by 54,000, an increase of 15%!:

Also, the change in total nonfarm payroll employment for December 2017 was revised up from +160,000 to +175,000, and the change for January was revised up from +200,000 to +239,000, the Bureau said in a statement.

Based on these revisions, employment gains in December 2017 and January 2018 combined were 54,000 more than previously reported. (Manufacturing Adds 31,000 Jobs in February - Advanced Manufacturing; see also Employment Situation Summary)​

In other words, instead of a gain of 360,000 jobs for December and January, we actually had a gain of 414,000 jobs for those two months. That's an increase of 15% from the previous numbers.

And, of course, we also just found out that the economy created 313,000 jobs last month, including 31,000 new manufacturing jobs, which is the biggest jump in manufacturing jobs in over 40 years. (I said "in over 10 years" in another thread because I only went back to 2006; this time I checked data going back to the 1960s.) The last time we saw this kind of an increase in manufacturing jobs in one month was in the 1960s!

U.S. manufacturing jobs by year:

STATS | Number of US Manufacturing Jobs - Statistic Brain

Table B-1. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by industry sector and selected industry detail

And, no, these are not "burger-flipping jobs" as one resident liberal has falsely claimed:

Manufacturing Adds 31,000 Jobs in February - Advanced Manufacturing

indeed the dark forces that be

could only

hide the information so long

Yes, one of the slowest recoveries from a recklessly caused recession indeed did happen.

Poor guy....you don't like how Obama left Trump with a strong economy. So sad.

You clowns.

Give me a minute to think about how to respond to all the facts and logic in your reply. I thought you guys loved manufacturing jobs? Aren't those the jobs that labor leaders see we need a lot more of? Aren't those the jobs that Bernie Sanders said had been destroyed by NAFTA and other misguided "free-trade" agreements? One would think you guys would at least be happy about this piece of good news.

I know what the cons would say . “Fake numbers . There’s 100,000,000 not working”. Which is what Trump said himslef ! Suddenly any good number is true now that he is prez.

Would you like to see more people working?

Employment Gains for December and January Revised UPWARD by 15% in Latest BLS Report

good for Trump - now he can make up a bunch of bullshit and swear he's the only one that could do it.

Lowest Unemployment Rate in 18yrs and historic low African American/Hispanic Unemployment. Yeah, i'd say Trump is delivering bigtime. :thup:

Would you like to see more people working?

Sure . I’m happy wh the #z . Just mocking the Trumpers who’ve done a 180 on these stats .

Lowest Unemployment Rate in 18yrs and historic low African American/Hispanic Unemployment. Yeah, i'd say Trump is delivering bigtime. :thup:

should be real easy to list the legislation he passed into law then ...

go !

You're conflating understanding the numbers and questioning the accuracy of the numbers because you are stupid

Forum List

Back