Employers are fed up with college 'waste,' opt for skilled blue-collar workers instead

I changed job in 2004, went from being employed to self employed in a totally different career. So in my last job, as a manager, I tried to employ those over 50 yrs of age because the younger generation were a waste of time. I can only imagine it's even worse.

Even since 2004, I have never ever sub contracted to anyone under the age of 45.
You can't do that legally in the US.

I. The 80s I walked off of a job no notice. Was supposed to fly to Denver to meet with clients. Said to heck with it never got on the plane. Greatest day of my life besides the birth of my kids. Had another job 5 days later. It was exciting and exhilarating. I didn't even owe my boss a phone call. Most beautiful part about capitalism. No loyalty needs to be shown.

You making shit up about Harvard Grads does not help your argument

There are some posters here who can actually broach a subject with some seriousness. The OP isn't one of them. First of all, the link is to a poll. And the poll was put on the Fox platform. So who watches Fox? Joe six-pack. And to make Joe six-pack feel good and content it has this nonsense in the story:

Only 10% of participants said a college degree would make a potential job-seeker more hirable. On the other hand, 41.5% said the degree makes "no difference," while over 40% said a college degree would make them less likely to hire a prospective applicant.
The "participants" said a college degree will make someone less likely to get hired. Yeah....straight out of bullshit-ville.

There are some good points in the story but mostly it was put together, it appears, to placate the average Fox viewer who struggled through kindergarten. The guys who ran the poll are blob supporters. Here is one of their tweets:
1700642684181.png

The other loon runs a job board without the "woke nonsense."
So you know the bend of the pollsters.

===

But for the subject itself...there is a very big need to teach the young some technical skills. I think some liberals discount it because they think it limits the individual. In fact, it empowers them. A woman knowing how to fix her car...how in the F*** does that limit her? A guy who knows how to prepare a balanced meal for his family? Where is the limitation?

How refreshing would it be to have a discussion that explores the topic honestly?

Too bad the OP can't bring himself to be honest. Ever.

I did like this one "article" on the job board...

1700643483570.png

Ahh...the joy of work! LOL.

Another one--maybe you gun nuts will be interested in it....

You can be a customer service rep for a gun shop in Colorado. Starting pay is $15 an hour. But it goes to $16 after 90 days.

The company reserves the right to add/change duties at it's discretion. It includes evenings and weekends.

There are some posters here who can actually broach a subject with some seriousness. The OP isn't one of them. First of all, the link is to a poll. And the poll was put on the Fox platform. So who watches Fox? Joe six-pack. And to make Joe six-pack feel good and content it has this nonsense in the story:

Only 10% of participants said a college degree would make a potential job-seeker more hirable. On the other hand, 41.5% said the degree makes "no difference," while over 40% said a college degree would make them less likely to hire a prospective applicant.
The "participants" said a college degree will make someone less likely to get hired. Yeah....straight out of bullshit-ville.

There are some good points in the story but mostly it was put together, it appears, to placate the average Fox viewer who struggled through kindergarten. The guys who ran the poll are blob supporters. Here is one of their tweets:
View attachment 862142
The other loon runs a job board without the "woke nonsense."
So you know the bend of the pollsters.

===

But for the subject itself...there is a very big need to teach the young some technical skills. I think some liberals discount it because they think it limits the individual. In fact, it empowers them. A woman knowing how to fix her car...how in the F*** does that limit her? A guy who knows how to prepare a balanced meal for his family? Where is the limitation?

How refreshing would it be to have a discussion that explores the topic honestly?

Too bad the OP can't bring himself to be honest. Ever.
Conservatives who could not cut it in higher education convince themselves that it is a waste of time.

Conservatives who could not cut it in higher education convince themselves that it is a waste of time.
I really don't think its as cut and dried as that but you're addressing some of it.

I think another component of their plight is that they just are either delusional enough to think they can ignore globalization and the great democratization of capital, information, and technology that has leveled the playing field. They ignore it for two reasons; its bad news for the legacy nations and it's pretty complicated to want to not see the essence of America; capitalism spreading to where it can compete with us.

But the main thing I think what they want is to literally turn the clock back to 1950 where you could support a family of four with a factory job that required only an 8th grade education. The great paradox is that they want that...while supporting the factory owners who would close the factory before allowing a union to take root--the same union which gave that factory worker the wages to support his family.

There is a very strong argumen t for refurbishment of K-12 education, bolstered by good technical degrees and continuous education/certificates as the ideal educational standard for most citizens.
Ukatore disagrees - whats the disagreement my man? (for clarity I am espousing a system similar to Germany)

Forum List

Back