Elizabeth Warren was told to stay quiet, but she didn’t – and it’s paying off

CherryPanda

Aug 12, 2014
In her book released this year, Sen. Elizabeth Warren recounted a dinner she had with President Obama’s chief economic adviser, Larry Summers, in April 2009, when Warren was the outspoken chairman of a congressionally appointed panel probing the government’s response to the financial crisis.

Larry leaned back in his chair and offered me some advice. ... He teed it up this way: I had a choice. I could be an insider or I could be an outsider. Outsiders can say whatever they want. But people on the inside don’t listen to them. Insiders, however, get lots of access and a chance to push their ideas. People — powerful people — listen to what they have to say. But insiders also understand one unbreakable rule. They don’t criticize other insiders.

I had been warned.

Warren ignored the warning.

And if the past few weeks are any indication, she can operate as an insider without giving her up outsider credentials. She’s remained outspoken, but has become even more influential. She hasn't stopped throwing bombs at the rich and powerful — and causing trouble for the White House — but she's won a spot in Senate leadership, changed the shape of congressional debates over financial regulation and continued to draw widespread attention as a potential presidential candidate.

It all helps to explain why – for the 300 former Obama campaign officials who last week urged her to run in 2016 – she is the one they’ve been waiting for.

“Rising income inequality is the challenge of our times, and we want someone who will stand up for working families and take on the Wall Street banks and special interests that took down our economy,” they wrote.

Over the past week, Warren galvanized liberals across Capitol Hill against a government spending bill that weakened a key provision of the 2010 Dodd-Frank law that tightened oversight of Wall Street.

The Senate may have passed the legislation late Saturday, but it was not before Warren and other liberals asserted their power in a confrontation with the White House, joining with House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi to oppose the legislation.

Elizabeth Warren was told to stay quiet but she didn t and it s paying off - The Washington Post

From what I have just read – I like this woman. Feel a lot of respect towards her. Respect for protecting our taxes from extreme and unnecessary spending, for confronting the Wall Street lobby. For having guts to fight.

I know no one is perfect in the government. But she is more decent than many of those who are ready to run for president in 2016.

Btw, would you vote for her if she ran?

In her book released this year, Sen. Elizabeth Warren recounted a dinner she had with President Obama’s chief economic adviser, Larry Summers, in April 2009, when Warren was the outspoken chairman of a congressionally appointed panel probing the government’s response to the financial crisis.

Larry leaned back in his chair and offered me some advice. ... He teed it up this way: I had a choice. I could be an insider or I could be an outsider. Outsiders can say whatever they want. But people on the inside don’t listen to them. Insiders, however, get lots of access and a chance to push their ideas. People — powerful people — listen to what they have to say. But insiders also understand one unbreakable rule. They don’t criticize other insiders.

I had been warned.

And if the past few weeks are any indication, she can operate as an insider without giving her up outsider credentials. She’s remained outspoken, but has become even more influential. She hasn't stopped throwing bombs at the rich and powerful — and causing trouble for the White House — but she's won a spot in Senate leadership, changed the shape of congressional debates over financial regulation and continued to draw widespread attention as a potential presidential candidate.

It all helps to explain why – for the 300 former Obama campaign officials who last week urged her to run in 2016 – she is the one they’ve been waiting for.

“Rising income inequality is the challenge of our times, and we want someone who will stand up for working families and take on the Wall Street banks and special interests that took down our economy,” they wrote.

Over the past week, Warren galvanized liberals across Capitol Hill against a government spending bill that weakened a key provision of the 2010 Dodd-Frank law that tightened oversight of Wall Street.

The Senate may have passed the legislation late Saturday, but it was not before Warren and other liberals asserted their power in a confrontation with the White House, joining with House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi to oppose the legislation.

Elizabeth Warren was told to stay quiet but she didn t and it s paying off - The Washington Post

From what I have just read – I like this woman. Feel a lot of respect towards her. Respect for protecting our taxes from extreme and unnecessary spending, for confronting the Wall Street lobby. For having guts to fight.

I know no one is perfect in the government. But she is more decent than many of those who are ready to run for president in 2016.

It would have been nice if she had read the spending bill.

I had been warned.

Respect for protecting our taxes from extreme and unnecessary spending

When did she ever do that?

Another unqualified, far left clown? No thanks.

I had been warned.

Yeah.

She sure told them.

Think anyone will vote for her now???

I had been warned.

Yeah.

She sure told them.

Have you noticed her high cheekbones? They have "I'm a but" written all over them!

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk

I had been warned.

The American voter already put a less than one full term liberal Senator with no executive experience in the White House. Not a chance that I could support doing that again.

Now that Hillary Clinton is done all the left has is Liz. They couldn't have a better champion of far left causes. Run Liz run!

I had been warned.

Yeah.

She sure told them.

Have you noticed her high cheekbones? They have "I'm a but" written all over them!

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk

Should read nut not but

Forum List

Back