Elizabeth Warren: 'End Electoral College'

get an amendment passed and ratified retard. Or is following the Constitution to much trouble for you.
What are you talking about, Moron? Have I triggered you? :dunno: Did you see me suggest we wave a wand or do a handshake and pinky promise to end the electoral college?
By the way, a state can make it proportional as 2 states do. You want that in your state then get a law passed for it. Ohh I forgot you don't want to follow the law you just want what you want.
I'm making an argument about what system prioritizes winning States over people. I don't have any idea what the fuck you're doing other than crying at me for having an opinion.

Of course it’s an answer. You don’t like it, csuse it’s a defense of democracy. You know you can’t get what you want done because the people won’t support it
No, it's not all an answer. You haven't explained at all how ending the electoral college means California gets to decide the election. I still don't know what that means. Democratic California voters made up 13.5% of Democratic voters in the last election.

... Eliminating the electoral college eliminates the importance of States and focuses the power on the people. ...
NO, it would render the votes of those living in states with lower populations meaningless. You know what the whole point of the Great Compromise was, right? You know that prior to reaching the Great Compromise the Constitutional Convention was on the verge of collapse, right? What you propose would imperil the Union itself.

I don't want to ask this question of MAGAts because they aren't capable of rational thoughts but you do know States don't vote right? In fact it's the Electoral college that gives people in some States supremacy over others, which if you know your history was sort of the point. Eliminating the electoral college eliminates the importance of States and focuses the power on the people. Simply put the person who wins the most votes from the people, wins. That's as it should be. The check States have on Federal power is the Senate, where minority populated States receive just as much representation as the most populated.

I'm sure you're smart enough to see (since it's painfully obvious) what the real motivation behind comments like Warren's really is.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren said Monday that she fully supports abolishing the Electoral College and moving toward a national vote, the first time the 2020 presidential candidate has publicly taken the stance.

“My view is that every vote matters,” the Massachusetts Democrat said to roaring applause at her CNN presidential town hall at Jackson State University in Mississippi. “And the way we can make that happen is that we can have national voting, and that means get rid of the Electoral College.”

More: Elizabeth Warren Calls For Getting Rid Of The Electoral College

Amen! I couldn't agree more! Elections should be about people - not acreage! BTW, the rest of the link is worth reading.
If we ever do that you can bet the people in the lower populated states like Wyoming will vote to leave the Union. Why would any Presidential candidate give a good shit about the few votes in Wyoming? He would be far too busy kissing ass in the big cities like New York, Chicago and LA to get his votes.

NO, it would render the votes of those living in states with lower populations meaningless.
Thats the opposite of reality. Thats what happens now with winner take all States. With the popular vote the votes of citizens from every State get added to the total.
You know what the whole point of the Great Compromise was, right?
Yeah, to protect slavery so what's the point in protecting a system that was solely designed to protect the interest of slave states?
You know that prior to reaching the Great Compromise the Constitutional Convention was on the verge of collapse, right? What you propose would imperil the Union itself.
I don't care about what comprises other people made with slavers way back when. I'm talking about the system that should govern us today.

I'm sure you're smart enough to see (since it's painfully obvious) what the real motivation behind comments like Warren's really is.
That we live in a country where the person who gets the most votes from the people wins the Office?

What are you talking about, Moron? Have I triggered you? :dunno: Did you see me suggest we wave a wand or do a handshake and pinky promise to end the electoral college?

I'm making an argument about what system prioritizes winning States over people. I don't have any idea what the fuck you're doing other than crying at me for having an opinion.
yet you dont want to vote on it nor make the amendment all you ever do is whine about it. When confronted about proportional systems you said you were not interested in doing the leg work to get it in your State.

I agree. I always thought america was a democracy...but when Bush Jr got elected we the citizens of the world were shocked. And that's when we found about the electoral college. It really gives the power to the crazy minority and that's why we have trump and his crazies....the US should join the democratic countries and abolish the EC.
Here's the problem with ending the Electoral College:
Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City and Philadelphia would always decide who the president would be and smaller states and less populated cities would no longer have a real voice. Our founding fathers recognized this and thus created the Electoral College System.
Another reason to keep the Electoral College is that it ensures that we will maintain a multi-party political system. One-party only governments always and I do mean always, become authoritarian, oppressive, persecutory, tyrannical and outright mass murderous to its own people who disagree with the party in power. In short, they become dictatorships.
If you want a permanent one-party government, hop on a plane or boat and head off to China, North Korea, Vietnam, Cuba, any nation run by a military junta, such as Myanmar, or a strict Islamic nation. One government runs each of them and no dissent is allowed.

yet you dont want to vote on it nor make the amendment all you ever do is whine about it.
Where did I say that? :dunno: I'm not responsible for your fan fiction cosplayer boy.
When confronted about proportional systems you said you were not interested in doing the leg work to get it in your State.
I said no such thing and you can produce no such quote because all you have are these weird fantasies you've developed about me but they bare no relation to reality.

Thats the opposite of reality. Thats what happens now with winner take all States. With the popular vote the votes of citizens from every State get added to the total.

Yeah, to protect slavery so what's the point in protecting a system that was solely designed to protect the interest of slave states?

I don't care about what comprises other people made with slavers way back when. I'm talking about the system that should govern us today.
Thanks for exposing your transparent motivation.

No, it's not all an answer. You haven't explained at all how ending the electoral college means California gets to decide the election. I still don't know what that means. Democratic California voters made up 13.5% of Democratic voters in the last election.
Oh I didn’t realize you thought I literally meant just California. What I meant was few states or a state. The president of the United States has to represent the entire United States, not just a handful of highly populated states

You haven’t explained to me why you aren’t working to change your state law to make your electors not winner take all…

Try again. It's ok, everyone can see your true motivation by now.
I am more aware, or wondering, about your own motivation in defending a now corrupting, divisive, obsolete, and clearly disinfranchising “Electoral College” system that even James Madison saw was no longer serving its original purpose.

In fact, the key problem today and the original “virtue” and purpose of the Electoral College ballot system was not that it gives/gave more representation to small states (this is quite small since the number of votes granted states is the addition of Senators and Congressional delegates). The key problem is that it increases potential and increasingly likely party & state manipulation of the vote and that it deforms the whole system by essentially disenfranchising millions upon millions of voters in majority “red” or “blue” states.

This has been pointed out and demonstrated many times before. Even Trump seems to have caught the gist of this reality, though he is hardly a deep thinker on this or any other question of political reform.

In short, this is a “Good Government” issue and just one of many increasingly problematic factors leading to unnecessary partisan division and disfunction in our nation’s politics. Not one easily changed, to be sure, but one that ought to be understood and not misrepresented.

See my earlier comments and links here:

Last edited:
Oh I didn’t realize you thought I literally meant just California. What I meant was few states or a state. The president of the United States has to represent the entire United States, not just a handful of highly populated states
Except it literally has nothing to do with States at all. The popular vote is about the the person who gets the most votes from people, winning the election.
You haven’t explained to me why you aren’t working to change your state law to make your electors not winner take all…
Why do I need to explain that to you to make my intellectually superior point?

Forum List

Back