electric cars and solar panels

Discussion in 'Energy' started by Old Rocks, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,320
    In the past we have given tax breaks and credits to get people to buy Hummers and other non-neccessities. A basic car is a neccessity for most Americans. As is energy for their homes.

Right now, we have the potential for making both the solar panel and the electrical car economically practical right now. Eestor of Texas and Voxtel of Oregon has created processes that will completely change the cost structure of these industries.

Now if we can give a business a $25,000 break for something as useless as a Hummer, I fail to see why we cannot do this.

Give a direct tax break of $3500 for the purchase of an electric car, the same for a purchase of 5 kw solar panel. But if you install both simutaneously, the credit is doubled, $14,000 total. Anounce this a year ahead of time, and then continue it for two years.

That would handle both the problem of getting the idea of electric cars started, and the fueling of them, with the side benefit of forcing a distributed grid.

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    So ... now you want the electric companies who only produce energy the way you like to have a monopoly and control all the wealth.

3. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,320
    My sweet Kitten, you have a truly perverse way of seeing things in a post that do not exist. Point out where I even mention an electric company?

4. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    You don't need to say it, but that's what the end result will be to anyone with a decent understanding of economics. Making laws to force this only creates another monopoly, of which laws are really good at creating.

5. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    "Economically practical" usually applies to something both economical and practical. I see neither in your post.

Changing cost structures of industries isn't done with the stroke of a pen. It's done with capital intensive-labor intensive efforts.

If you want to force a distributed grid you've come to the wrong country.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,986
    Trying to have a conversation with one of the board eco terrorists is a waste of time dear.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,320
    Monopolies? I see nothing in the program I outlined that would create a monopoly. In fact, it would open up the gate for many startup companies making new types of solar cells, batteries and capicitors for electrical storage for all types of uses.

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,986
    You are aware I hope that 60 percent of all electricity generated in the US is made with fossil fuels?

Solar panels are full of things that are real bad for the environment as well.

I wouldn't mind getting panels but if you can not see what this does to the Country you are not worth the time to talk to.

Remind us again how you support the building of Nuclear power plants to get us off fossil fuels for electrical generation.

9. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Only if they are already rich enough to pay for the over priced equipment. Keep dreaming, they do come true, just this one never will. It will create a monopoly.

10. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,434
    electric cars and solar panels

I had electric race cars as a kid, now I have a solar panel, a built in safety cushion and drive a truck.