Electoral battle: Romney vs. Santorum

What are the chances of Santorum winning the states listed above? Anyone want to venture a guess?

Incredibly unlikely. Whoever the GOP nominates is a Dead Man Walking politically.
The only path to the White House any of them have relies on the President making some serious mis-calculations.
To win all 50 states against Santorum, all Obama has to do is this:

First debate: After the first question is asked, Obama should say this;

"Never mind that shit. Senator Santorum, let me ask you this. How old is the earth?"
He should then turn around, have a seat and read the paper as Santorum tries to explain his whacko views.

Boom. Election over.

He has a 3 year record of serious mis-calculation to run on........that Bozo the Clown could beat. Obama is a one termer.

Santorum would definitely take PA, a toss-up state this year. He's up on Obama in PA already. That's a huge take away. it offsets a loss of Ohio or Florida.

Santorum will also absolutely take Missouri and Iowa.

Ohio is going to be tough, but Santorum has a pro-labor record, and that's a huge advantage in Ohio, Wisconsin and Michigan.

Virginia and North Carolina are going to be tough for the GOP this year...but Santorum has the advantage.

Santorum can attack obamacare on every front. Romney cannot.

It's that simple.
Youre counting on a brokered convention?

Santorum would definitely take PA, a toss-up state this year. He's up on Obama in PA already. That's a huge take away. it offsets a loss of Ohio or Florida.

Ohio is going to be tough, but Santorum has a pro-labor record, and that's a huge advantage in Ohio, Wisconsin and Michigan.

Virginia and North Carolina are going to be tough for the GOP this year...but Santorum has the advantage.

It's that simple.

2012 Presidential Election Interactive Map and History of the Electoral College

Romney can. In fact, he only needs to utter one sentence.... "A state is not the country." Explanation over. Easy.

If the GOP base was energized like 2010, I would agree that VA and NC were easy pick offs for the GOP. But as is apparent, Romney isn't energizing the base at all.

Look at our website, do you see anyone doing back flips over Romney?

The only folks really enthused about Romney are the ones who are opposed to social conservatives.

IOW, even Romney supporters only support what he's not, not what he is.

That doesn't translate into victory.

Santorum at least has a come from behind victory to energize the base.

The scrappy underdog that overcame the GOP Establishment and a 10 to 1 spending deficit to topple the anointed "inevitable" nominee.

It take 270 Electoral Votes to win the Presidency.

Santorum can take Ohio, Missouri, North Carolina, Virginia, his home state of Pennsylvania and Iowa (all 2012 swing states) plus all the traditionally Red states. That's 264 right there.

If he wins FL, CO, WI, or MI...it's over, he wins...or a combination of any two of NM, NV and NH.

Conversely, Romney loses Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Missouri and Iowa and holds on to the traditional Red States...Obama has 260.

If he loses FL, OH, MI, WI, or a combination of any two CO, NV, NM, NH he loses and Obama wins.

Santorum lost PA by something like 10 points in his last election. Are you serious?

Wasn't it 18?

I went to catholic schools for 12 years and I was taught evolution. It's not catholics who believe the earth was created 11000 years ago. I think that's the fundamentalists. I am not defending Santorum, I am just correcting an apparent misconception. We were taught that many stories in the bible were written in a figurative sense as parables are and not to be believed word for word.

Why Santorum? Why not Gingrich?

why not Romney or Paul?
Missourian does not want Romney, so he is looking for ways for the other candidates to win. Paul has absolutely no chance at the nomination. I'm wondering why he Missourian doesn't use the same electoral math for gingrich..

Gingrich can't take PA...that one state makes all the difference. That's 20 Blue electoral vote that are taken from Obama.

It's that simple.

Romney can. In fact, he only needs to utter one sentence.... "A state is not the country." Explanation over. Easy.

And all Obama does is run ad after ad featuring the clip with Fred Thompson where Romney embraced the Federal Mandate:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6DrH6P9OC0&feature=related]See Mitt Romney Promote an Individual Mandate - YouTube[/ame]

I went to catholic schools for 12 years and I was taught evolution. It's not catholics who believe the earth was created 11000 years ago. I think that's the fundamentalists. I am not defending Santorum, I am just correcting an apparent misconception. We were taught that many stories in the bible were written in a figurative sense as parables are and not to be believed word for word.

I went to Catholic Schools for 12 years as well, and the nightmares are only down to one a month now.

The Catholic Church really tries to have it both ways on the evolution/creation question... They try to pretend the bible is literal and then also try to appear all sensible and for science.

Now, all that said, I'm not even sure what Santorum's particular beliefs on the age of the Earth are, but if Obama really thinks he can make that an issue, he's probably weak.

I went to Catholic Schools for 12 years as well, and the nightmares are only down to one a month now.

The Catholic Church really tries to have it both ways on the evolution/creation question... They try to pretend the bible is literal and then also try to appear all sensible and for science.

Now, all that said, I'm not even sure what Santorum's particular beliefs on the age of the Earth are, but if Obama really thinks he can make that an issue, he's probably weak.

I disagree. I think if he makes it an issue, tonnes of independents will jump on board. The thought of a man in the WH who believes the Earth is only 6,000 years old would be a huge problem from many different aspects...

I disagree. I think if he makes it an issue, tonnes of independents will jump on board. The thought of a man in the WH who believes the Earth is only 6,000 years old would be a huge problem from many different aspects...

There's nobody out there whose main concern in life is "how old is the Earth, anyway?" Maybe a geologist or a paleontologist, but most working folks are more like, "How am I going to pay the LIght bill next week."

What are the chances of Santorum winning the states listed above? Anyone want to venture a guess?

Incredibly unlikely. Whoever the GOP nominates is a Dead Man Walking politically.
The only path to the White House any of them have relies on the President making some serious mis-calculations.

"Never mind that shit. Senator Santorum, let me ask you this. How old is the earth?"
He should then turn around, have a seat and read the paper as Santorum tries to explain his whacko views.

Boom. Election over.

You work on the assumption that this is really a winner issue for you guys.

Fact is, if these moral issues- Evolution, Abortion, Gay Rights, were really winners for you jokers on the left, you wouldn't go running to the courts to get your way on them. Democrats don't like talking about these issues on a national level.

Only about 12% of the country believes human beings got here with no help from a higher power. 38% believe that God guided the evoutionary process and 50% believe it happened pretty much the way it says in the bible. Now, why I am absolutely horrified that there are a lot of Americans who think that the dinosaurs are extinct because Noah didn't have room for them on the Ark, that's really just the way it is.

I have my fun ripping on religious stupidity, but I'd never advise a candidate to make that his campaign platform.

(Sorry, I've been ripping on the right for their stupidity lately. I think I need to be "fair and balanced" and rip on the left when they say stupid things.)

No.

It isn't about morality; it's about science.

Yeah and listening to Santorum explain his beliefs would be like being on a jury during a murder trial; it would be that disturbing in terms of thinking "this" is the guy asking for my vote? My pet schnauzer is more sophisticated than this boob. Just to continue the analogy, Santorum may as well be the one on trial with bloody hands during the trial too...

Thanks for the info.

Boom. Election over.

You work on the assumption that this is really a winner issue for you guys.

Fact is, if these moral issues- Evolution, Abortion, Gay Rights, were really winners for you jokers on the left, you wouldn't go running to the courts to get your way on them. Democrats don't like talking about these issues on a national level.

Only about 12% of the country believes human beings got here with no help from a higher power. 38% believe that God guided the evoutionary process and 50% believe it happened pretty much the way it says in the bible. Now, why I am absolutely horrified that there are a lot of Americans who think that the dinosaurs are extinct because Noah didn't have room for them on the Ark, that's really just the way it is.

I have my fun ripping on religious stupidity, but I'd never advise a candidate to make that his campaign platform.

(Sorry, I've been ripping on the right for their stupidity lately. I think I need to be "fair and balanced" and rip on the left when they say stupid things.)

No.

It isn't about morality; it's about science.

Most Americans barely understand science, but mo rality is really important to them.

It's one thing to say, "Yup, we have proof the world is really 4 billion years old." But the next step in that sentence is almost, "Which proves there is no God."

Again, even Obama has to pretend he believes in Talking Snakes and Go to Church. Until we find out his Pastor is a foul-mouthed racist and he has to find another church.

Yeah and listening to Santorum explain his beliefs would be like being on a jury during a murder trial; it would be that disturbing in terms of thinking "this" is the guy asking for my vote? My pet schnauzer is more sophisticated than this boob. Just to continue the analogy, Santorum may as well be the one on trial with bloody hands during the trial too...

Thanks for the info.

I agree, I don't want to hear about his religion at all. I don't want to be preached to from the oval office or have morality legislated. If there is an issue and a case can be made for it on constitutional grounds then so be it but to appeal to people on moral grounds makes my skin crawl.

Thanks for the info.

I agree, I don't want to hear about his religion at all. I don't want to be preached to from the oval office or have morality legislated. If there is an issue and a case can be made for it on constitutional grounds then so be it but to appeal to people on moral grounds makes my skin crawl.

You're already being preached to from the oval office. What do you think all of those "moral" appeals to hope, change, fair share, etc. are?

Thanks for the info.

You're already being preached to from the oval office. What do you think all of those "moral" appeals to hope, change, fair share, etc. are?

I agree both sides are guilty although its couched differently.

Boom. Election over.

He has a 3 year record of serious mis-calculation to run on........that Bozo the Clown could beat. Obama is a one termer.

Too bad Bozo isn't running. Better luck in 2016 getting Bozo to run.

Forum List

Back