Election year gets under way for Republicans In Nevada

Nevadamedic

Jul 13, 2007
Diagon Alley
Former federal judge Brian Sandoval is leading the race to be the Republican nominee for Nevada governor over incumbent Gov. Jim Gibbons, who is showing faint signs of political life, according to a new poll commissioned by the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Democrat Rory Reid would lose to Sandoval but beat Gibbons in a general election, according to the responses.

The villain: U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., who has become the top target of state and national Republicans for defeat in November.

"We don't want Harry Reid," said Elaine Moser, a Reno Republican. "He's not on our state's side. We need to oust him. That's our biggie."

More than 300 Republicans gathered at schools throughout Washoe County on Saturday to begin organizing for the November election. They elected delegates to the county convention, nominated members to the party's central committee, and conducted a straw poll to determine favorites in the gubernatorial and U.S. Senate primary races.

Two years ago, in the heat of the presidential primary, lines stretched around the block to get into the meetings. This year, attendance was down.

But those who came form the kernel of what party operatives hope will become a fearsome ground machine to help Republicans to victory in November.

"I'm looking at each one of you as the most dedicated Republicans," party organizer Kim Bacchus told a group. "Elections are won in the precincts. We can't win if you don't speak to your neighbors."

The Republican candidates vying for the chance to challenge Reid in November used the opportunity to work the crowds of GOP primary voters.

Both former Assemblywoman Sharron Angle and former Nevada Republican Chairwoman Sue Lowden repeatedly compared themselves to Brown.

Angle, the money underdog in the race, said she owns a similar pick up truck to the one Brown used to campaign and said he proved you don't need money to win a Senate race.

"People shouldn't be trying to buy senate seats," she said. "It's not about the money."

Angle was referring to Lowden, who announced Friday she would use her own personal money to match the $800,000 in campaign contributions she raised last quarter.

Former federal judge Brian Sandoval is leading the race to be the Republican nominee for Nevada governor over incumbent Gov. Jim Gibbons, who is showing faint signs of political life, according to a new poll commissioned by the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Democrat Rory Reid would lose to Sandoval but beat Gibbons in a general election, according to the responses.

And Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman, who is considering a run, is casting a big shadow over the entire field.

That's according to a survey taken Tuesday through Thursday of 625 registered Nevada voters by Washington, D.C.-based Mason-Dixon Polling & Research.

In one three-candidate matchup, 35 percent of respondents chose the Republican Sandoval, 33 percent picked the independent Goodman and 20 percent favored the Democrat Reid. The margin of error was plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Former North Las Vegas Mayor Michael Montandon was the choice of just 7 percent of Republican primary voters.

"I didn't see too much that had changed. Rory Reid's numbers look a little bit worse," pollster Brad Coker said of the results.

Reid, chairman of the Clark County Commission, is the son of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., who is recognized unfavorably by more voters than every Nevada politician mentioned in the poll except Gibbons.

"I think dad might be rubbing off on him a little more," Coker said of Rory Reid.

Rory Reid spokesman Mike Trask said he was unconcerned by the numbers.

"We're going to win because we are building the best volunteer organization in the state," Trask said.

In the latest poll, Rory Reid's unfavorable rating was 35 percent, up from 28 percent unfavorable in December. Gibbons' was 53 percent, a point higher than Sen. Harry Reid's.

However, Gibbons has gained some ground since December on Sandoval in the GOP primary matchup question, which has a margin of error of plus or minus 6 percentage points. And Gibbons has halved his deficit since last month in a head-to-head contest with Rory Reid in a general election scenario. Gibbons currently trails Reid by 7 points.

Sandoval, who resigned from his job as a federal judge to enter the race in September, made an immediate splash by landing at the top of polls.

Among respondents, 36 percent had a favorable impression of Sandoval and just 5 percent had an unfavorable opinion, by far the lowest negative numbers of any candidate tested.

"We continue to be encouraged by the numbers but realize there's a lot of work to be done," Sandoval said.

But good vibes and flawed opposition won't be enough to make Sandoval the next governor, or even guarantee he can survive the Republican primary.

Gibbons has the incumbent's bully pulpit and is fighting for his political life. And Reid likely has more money than the other candidates combined and no primary opponent.

That means Sandoval can expect a barrage of criticism from the right and left.

"Multiple candidates from multiple parties all want to take him down," Republican political consultant Ryan Erwin said. "The political road is littered with people who should have won but didn't."

Anti-tax Republicans have criticized Sandoval for his role in a constitutional dispute that led to a tax increase in 2003 during the administration of Gov. Kenny Guinn.

Sandoval was attorney general at the time, and Guinn was in a standoff with legislators over the budget.

The state Supreme Court weighed in with a ruling that paved the way for a tax increase.

Critics have blamed Sandoval for the outcome. Sandoval says he only argued the state was required to approve a budget and fund education and that the court overstepped its bounds and that he disagreed with the ruling.

More recently, Sandoval took heat from both Rory Reid and Gibbons for statements he made about Gibbons' proposals to overhaul education reform.

During a meeting last week with the Review-Journal editorial board, Sandoval said he agreed with some of the conservative principles behind Gibbons' reform proposals that call for an end to mandates in state law that require all- day kindergarten, limit class sizes and guarantee collective bargaining rights for teachers and other public workers.

"The governor and I share a lot of core principles with regard to being fiscally conservative," Sandoval said, citing support for school choice and empowerment schools.

Trask was quick to criticize Sandoval for sharing a vision with the unpopular governor.

"That sounds like he is trying to mimic Jim Gibbons," Trask said, calling the reform proposals "the same stale rhetoric we heard in 2006, and look where that has gotten us."

Gibbons also unleashed a barrage of criticism when told Sandoval disagreed with the governor's tactic of pushing reform during a special session, which Sandoval said could result in teacher layoffs.

"Perhaps there will be teacher layoffs in Sandoval's education plan for Nevada," Gibbons said in a written statement. "But we can't be sure until Sandoval comes up with a plan for education in Nevada, or a plan for any other issue in Nevada for that matter."

Erwin said for Sandoval the tax issue and stances in favor of domestic partnerships and reproductive choice for women could be problematic during a Republican primary.

"Every day that Sandoval is talking about that issue or abortion or domestic partnerships is a day that he is losing ground," Erwin said.

Robert Uithoven, another Republican consultant who once worked for Gibbons, says Sandoval is "obviously the favorite in the primary."

But to convert good poll numbers into primary victory, Uithoven said, Sandoval needs to do more than criticize Gibbons for having a toxic relationship with legislators and an obtuse governing style.

"Saying Jim Gibbons is not popular with the lobbyists and a Democratic controlled legislature is not a very good message in a Republican primary," Uithoven said. "He needs to show that he is reliably conservative and that he has principles he will stand by."

Full Story.................
GOVERNOR'S RACE: Poll: Sandoval would top Gibbons in GOP primary, Reid in November - News - ReviewJournal.com

This is going to be a tough race for me. I have known Governor Gibbons for a few years and he is a great guy, some of the things he did for me, I owe him a lot. I also know Judge Sandoval and he is a really great guy. It's a real toss up for me. Also is the fact that I don't want Rory Reid anywhere near Carson City, so if Sandoval will beat him in the general then I would have to go for him, no matter how much I personally like the Governor.

The Senate race is just as hard. The only candidate I really like State Senator Mark Amodei doesn't have enough name recognition in the south to win. It is sad because he is the best candidate by far. Danny Tarkanian I have met a few times and one of them was at a carnival for Nevada Day and he and his wife were intoxicated walking around campaigning while their kids rode the rides. Nope, I will never vote for him for anything. Sue Lowden is another one I don't care for but since she leads the polls in a hypothetical match up with Reid then I will support her. I also know Sharon Angle and she is a nut job deluxe and a horrible campaigner, and we need someone who is strong on the campaign trail since Harry Reid is the king of dirty tricks.

Yep. It's the beginning of the election year 2010. No doubt there will be plenty of finger pointing, name calling, insults, half-truths and down right lies about anybody seeking any office in the land be it a local dog catcher or a national level seat in Congress. We will hear everything except what the people running for office actually believes in and even with what they say it will turn out to be something very different. It's time to start thinking about selecting the best of the worst possible choices for the seat they are seeking to obtain. Get out your pencils. If you can't decide for yourself just call ACORN. They will tell you who to vote for.

Dont look at polls to determine who you are going to support. Especially polls so out from the election like these ones. If you want someone, go out and work for them to win. If someone you like doesnt have name recognition, go out and give him the recognition he needs.

This isnt just some passive thing you do to play for the odds. Go for what you want or you wont be happy with what you get.

Dont look at polls to determine who you are going to support. Especially polls so out from the election like these ones. If you want someone, go out and work for them to win. If someone you like doesnt have name recognition, go out and give him the recognition he needs.

This isnt just some passive thing you do to play for the odds. Go for what you want or you wont be happy with what you get.

That's what I like to hear. Good, solid, well-thought out advice from somebody that has a real clue. Here, have some rep from the BBD.

Trust me, all the name recognition in the world wouldn't help Senator Amodei at this point unfortunately, Sue Lowden has a net value of over 50,000,000 to tap into and put into a campaign, no Republican is going to beat her unfortunately.

Also with Gibbons they are looking at his personal life since they don't have anything to attack politically since he has done a great job and cut the deficit here in Nevada.

Just a Protip: Don't post the entire article. It's against the copyright rules. So you may want to edit the first post.

Trust me, all the name recognition in the world wouldn't help Senator Amodei at this point unfortunately, Sue Lowden has a net value of over 50,000,000 to tap into and put into a campaign, no Republican is going to beat her unfortunately.

Also with Gibbons they are looking at his personal life since they don't have anything to attack politically since he has done a great job and cut the deficit here in Nevada.

Well not if you have that attitude it wont.

Not if you credit the author or site.

:eusa_eh:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/announcements-and-feedback/47455-usmb-rules-and-regulations.html

Copyright Guidelines:

Copyright infringement is illegal. USmessageboard.com will enforce the law. Never post an article in its entirety. When posting copyrighted material, please use small sections or link to the article. When posting copyrighted material you MUST give credit to the author in your post. You are responsible for including links/credit, regardless of how you originally came across the material.

Well not if you have that attitude it wont.

No, its the truth. The race is already getting really ugly. Harry Reid already had the Attorney General here in Nevada (who calls Reid her political mentor) destroy publically his biggest rival when he announced to run against him, the Lt. Governor of Nevada, Brian Krolicki. It even forced him to drop out of the race.

Forum List

Back