Elder care costs keep climbing; nursing home bill now $91K

What we are seeing is the last of the generation who did not consider their health to be their most important asset - smokers, people with poor diets, who never exercised, who thought "I'll wait till I get symptoms and the doc will give me a pill."

Upcoming generations are better informed, and Boomers, at least, are taking their health more seriously.

Medical science makes it possible to live longer, but quality of life depends on the individual.
Odd comments. Lots of young people are as soft as marshmellows and do little more than dick around with computers, phones and tablets. Fast food places are packed with the younuns. Add drugs and alcohol to the mix. Weight problems, heart disease, diabetis, etc. effect more young than it did in the past.

On top of that...they've been the first generation to be subjected to whole classes of new medications and food additives.

Not accurate.

What we are seeing is the last of the generation who did not consider their health to be their most important asset - smokers, people with poor diets, who never exercised, who thought "I'll wait till I get symptoms and the doc will give me a pill."

Upcoming generations are better informed, and Boomers, at least, are taking their health more seriously.

Medical science makes it possible to live longer, but quality of life depends on the individual.
Odd comments. Lots of young people are as soft as marshmellows and do little more than dick around with computers, phones and tablets. Fast food places are packed with the younuns. Add drugs and alcohol to the mix. Weight problems, heart disease, diabetis, etc. effect more young than it did in the past.

That's why I singled out Boomers. They're watching their parents waste away in nursing homes or home-bound and dependent on 24/7 nursing care and determined that this isn't going to happen to them.
Except that reality doesn't match your beliefs. Lots of unhealthy soft young folks out there.

Watched a high school dance team the other day. It was like watching 20 versions of the Stay-Puff Marshmallow man....

That's why I singled out Boomers. They're watching their parents waste away in nursing homes or home-bound and dependent on 24/7 nursing care and determined that this isn't going to happen to them.
Except that reality doesn't match your beliefs. Lots of unhealthy soft young folks out there.

Watched a high school dance team the other day. It was like watching 20 versions of the Stay-Puff Marshmallow man....

Thus the argument for new infusions of immigrants who'll be willing to take care of your generation when you end up in a nursing home.

NEW YORK (AP) -- The steep cost of caring for the elderly continues to climb. The median bill for a private room in a nursing home is now $91,250 a year, according to an industry survey out Thursday.

The annual "Cost of Care" report from Genworth Financial tracks the staggering rise in expenses for long-term care, a growing financial burden for families, governments and insurers like Genworth. The cost of staying in a nursing home has increased 4 percent every year over the last five years, the report says. Last year, the median bill was $87,600.

"Most people don't realize how expensive this care can be until a parent or family member needs it," said Joe Caldwell, director of long-term services at the National Council on Aging. "And then it's a real shock."

...One year in a nursing home now costs nearly as much as three years of tuition at a private college.
Elder care costs keep climbing nursing home bill now 91K - Yahoo Finance

I wonder how many of these are offering lobster etc. on a daily basis? I wonder how many of these places have well trained and well paid staff?
I saw this on the news yesterday and was sorta shocked until it was reported that one state in New England the cost in one home was $290,000. That shocked me. My Mother was in a home in Smithfield, NC and all they charged was her Social Security benefit.

Hossfly ... you guys gotta stay with this thread.

It is an important conversation. I know who posted last because of what shows up on the forum summary (last poster).

But since I have AirInHead on ignore, I can only go past her posts by going to older ones.

She's a moron and not worth the time to read her stupid ramblings that reference the existence of vaporous "original sources" which are never to be found in her drool.

NEW YORK (AP) -- The steep cost of caring for the elderly continues to climb. The median bill for a private room in a nursing home is now $91,250 a year, according to an industry survey out Thursday.

The annual "Cost of Care" report from Genworth Financial tracks the staggering rise in expenses for long-term care, a growing financial burden for families, governments and insurers like Genworth. The cost of staying in a nursing home has increased 4 percent every year over the last five years, the report says. Last year, the median bill was $87,600.

"Most people don't realize how expensive this care can be until a parent or family member needs it," said Joe Caldwell, director of long-term services at the National Council on Aging. "And then it's a real shock."

...One year in a nursing home now costs nearly as much as three years of tuition at a private college.

I wonder how many of these are offering lobster etc. on a daily basis? I wonder how many of these places have well trained and well paid staff?
I saw this on the news yesterday and was sorta shocked until it was reported that one state in New England the cost in one home was $290,000. That shocked me. My Mother was in a home in Smithfield, NC and all they charged was her Social Security benefit.

Hossfly ... you guys gotta stay with this thread.

It is an important conversation. I know who posted last because of what shows up on the forum summary (last poster).

But since I have AirInHead on ignore, I can only go past her posts by going to older ones.

She's a moron and not worth the time to read her stupid ramblings that reference the existence of vaporous "original sources" which are never to be found in her drool.

What he's saying, Hossfly, is ":lalala: I'm pretending to ignore Arianrhod, even though I'm not, and I'm going to keep bumping these threads even though I have nothing to contribute" so if you, Hossfly, are still interested in this topic, your input would be substantive, as opposed to what's currently going on.

Am I mistaken, Hossfly, that you're one of the "elders" whose life might be impacted by the topic of nursing home care, as opposed to Sunny Boy, who's just looking for attention?

I wonder if 90% of those who post here have any concept of what nursing home care actually entails? All they see is $ signs.

Have to question what it will be like when 20% of the population is looking for this kind of service.

Have to question what it will be like when 20% of the population is looking for this kind of service.

Well, if they're not paying for it themselves, it's not a service so much as a 'favor'. Ultimately we have to decide whether we want to take responsibility for, and enjoy control over, our own lives. Or whether we want someone else to be in charge.

Well, if they're not paying for it themselves, it's not a service so much as a 'favor'. Ultimately we have to decide whether we want to take responsibility for, and enjoy control over, our own lives. Or whether we want someone else to be in charge.

How do you imagine you'd be "in charge" if you were ill enough to be in a nursing home?

Good point to consider.

I am not sure what you mean by putting someone else in charge.

Are you talking about a specific or general situation ?

Good point to consider.

Generally, I guess. I'm simply pointing out the tradeoff involved in relying on the state for our needs.

Good point to consider.

Generally, I guess. I'm simply pointing out the tradeoff involved in relying on the state for our needs.

Aw, see, now I was hoping you'd have something more specific to say about how you'd apply your philosophy to nursing homes.

Good point to consider.

O.K. Thanks.

I would agree....not a very good trade.

I wonder who paid for Ayn Rand's stay in the convalescent hospital after her lung-cancer surgery? Or the 24/7 nursing care she needed so that she could die of heart failure at home? :dunno:

Good point to consider.

The state can help with the associated infrastructure (and some mild forms of regulation).

Nothing takes the place of being responsible for your own actions.

As a society, we are not moving in a good direction.

Good point to consider.

The state can help with the associated infrastructure (and some mild forms of regulation).

Nothing takes the place of being responsible for your own actions.

As a society, we are not moving in a good direction.

It's all based on the conceit that giving government more power over our economic decisions will create more justice.

I see the "I read a book once so I have all these theories" crowd is snugged up in their bubble congratulating themselves on their brilliance again.

IMO, a 30-year smoker who develops lung cancer has taken responsibility for his actions...the wrong kind of responsibility.

Perhaps our resident geniuses can explain what responsibility-for-one's-own-actions results in diseases such as Parkinson's and MS.

Bueller?

I wonder who owns these facilities, what income they provide to the ownership and how much is really spent on medical treatments/care? I also wonder about the education and background of those employed on a daily basis.

I wonder who owns these facilities, what income they provide to the ownership and how much is really spent on medical treatments/care? I also wonder about the education and background of those employed on a daily basis.

All very good questions.

I wonder about the model itself.

I know people who run these homes who indicate that most of their residents could be cared for at home by family....if......

All very good questions.

I wonder about the model itself.

I know people who run these homes who indicate that most of their residents could be cared for at home by family....if......

...if you weren't completely self-absorbed and only interested in yourself? When you step up to take care of your family members, be sure to let us know. You can be the model for everyone else. Until then, you're just another Internet "expert."

Forum List

Back