Egypt cuts off all internet

Like I said in an earlier thread it has the 1979 echoes all over it. Remember Iran? Not only that but Tunisia last week, Yemen is starting to have demonstrations too and that is one place that will really be radically anti-western. Can Jordan be far behind? Will Saudia Arabia fall too? It appears that North Africa and the Middle east may explode into unrest. With food prices soaring and shortages I can only see more unrest in the area.

As for Egypt, the military is still all powerfull and it will be they who decide on which horse to follow. But an anti western, anti-Israel government in Egypt will bring war in 5 years. Lebanon is nothing compared to Egypt. The keys to the middle east are Egypt on the west and Persia on the east.

especially if its not on a site that gets archived by an internet archive site

Like I said in an earlier thread it has the 1979 echoes all over it. Remember Iran? Not only that but Tunisia last week, Yemen is starting to have demonstrations too and that is one place that will really be radically anti-western. Can Jordan be far behind? Will Saudia Arabia fall too? It appears that North Africa and the Middle east may explode into unrest. With food prices soaring and shortages I can only see more unrest in the area.

As for Egypt, the military is still all powerfull and it will be they who decide on which horse to follow. But an anti western, anti-Israel government in Egypt will bring war in 5 years. Lebanon is nothing compared to Egypt. The keys to the middle east are Egypt on the west and Persia on the east.
So... basically we've pissed off the world and anyone who says they don't hate us puts a target on themselves?

That's awesome.

Its a little more complicated than that. The 25% in food prices last year and shortages have a lot to do with the unrest in Africa and the Middle East. There are reports tonight of demostrations breaking out in Jordan tonight protesting this very aspect. Thea area is already a powderkeg and the food situation is the match.

The Egyptian people are sick of being ruled by a puppet dictator backed by US/Israel money and weapons. :evil:

So with a less than literacy rate of 60% they'll instead be the next Iran. Great call.
Here are the figures on Egypt's literacy rate. You can bet that Iran's is more than 60% too.
Demographics of Egypt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Literacy
definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 71.4%
male: 83%
female: 59.4% (2005 est.)[1],,,,
[edit]

Last edited:
Al Jazerra in Egypt, both live stream and live blog have been giving great coverage of what's been happening on the ground. I got up this morning and went to reload the page, found they are no longer online. Searched a bit and found this:

Al Jazeera In Cairo Being Shut Down, Press Credentials Revoked: Egypt State TV

Egyptian state TV reported Sunday morning that the Al Jazeera office in Cairo is being shut down and Al Jazeera reporters are losing their press credentials in Egypt.

Al Jazeera correspondent Dan Nolan tweeted the news at about 11 a.m. local time, adding that Al Jazeera's licenses were revoked, per state media.

Nolan quickly added, "Don't worry we'll still report what's happening in #Egypt no matter what new restrictions they put on us."

Another Al Jazeera employee Evan Hill put the news this way: "State TV announces Al Jazeera's broadcasting license and press cards are being revoked. Our bureau is packing up."

Al Jazeera released a statement on Sunday that it "strongly denounces and condemns the closure of its bureau in Cairo by the Egyptian government." The network says it received notification from authorities on Sunday morning that information minister [Anas al-Fikki] had ordered the suspension of Al Jazeera. It also vowed to "continue its strong coverage regardless."

Egyptian state TV reported Sunday morning that the Al Jazeera office in Cairo is being shut down and Al Jazeera reporters are losing their press credentials in Egypt.

Al Jazeera correspondent Dan Nolan tweeted the news at about 11 a.m. local time, adding that Al Jazeera's licenses were revoked, per state media.

Nolan quickly added, "Don't worry we'll still report what's happening in #Egypt no matter what new restrictions they put on us."

Another Al Jazeera employee Evan Hill put the news this way: "State TV announces Al Jazeera's broadcasting license and press cards are being revoked. Our bureau is packing up."

Al Jazeera released a statement on Sunday that it "strongly denounces and condemns the closure of its bureau in Cairo by the Egyptian government." The network says it received notification from authorities on Sunday morning that information minister [Anas al-Fikki] had ordered the suspension of Al Jazeera. It also vowed to "continue its strong coverage regardless."

That's bad news. I'd be less concerned if it were Al Arabiya, which is pro-Western. But if they're pulling Al Jazeera's credentials they're planning something they don't want even nonaligned or anti-Western Arabs to see.

That's bad news. I'd be less concerned if it were Al Arabiya, which is pro-Western. But if they're pulling Al Jazeera's credentials they're planning something they don't want even nonaligned or anti-Western Arabs to see.

yup. to back track a moment I saw a blurb on cnn that said Mubarak had not shut down the cell phones and web himself, via a mechanism the gov. controlled but that Vodaphone and others had did so at his request, theres a difference . They were turned back on yesterday, I just got up, I wonder of they are still on. I would expect if hes going to make his move he'd darken them too as well as throwing out Al-J....

I agree, now, that his family is out of the country according to reports, it appears he may be making his push to put the whole thing down. Looking at the tanks on the street etc. they would have to basically start opening up on the crowds to get them off the street, is he really going to do that? The Mullahs in Iran did so selectively, they gathered up ringleaders etc etc....and sent the Basij into the streets for selective intimidation including killing Neda soltan) etc...its all a matter of how far hes really willing to go.

yup. to back track a moment I saw a blurb on cnn that said Mubarak had not shut down the cell phones and web himself, via a mechanism the gov. controlled but that Vodaphone and others had did so at his request, theres a difference . They were turned back on yesterday, I just got up, I wonder of they are still on. I would expect if hes going to make his move he'd darken them too as well as throwing out Al-J....

I agree, now, that his family is out of the country according to reports, it appears he may be making his push to put the whole thing down. Looking at the tanks on the street etc. they would have to basically start opening up on the crowds to get them off the street, is he really going to do that? The Mullahs in Iran did so selectively, they gathered up ringleaders etc etc....and sent the Basij into the streets for selective intimidation including killing Neda soltan) etc...its all a matter of how far hes really willing to go.

That's the question, isn't it? There have been no reports of basij-like groups so far that I've seen, only regular riot police and military. And their loyalties are strained if asked to open fire on their own people. He'd be crazy to rely on them for an Iranian-style crackdown. But if forces similar to the basij were to appear on scene, I'd say all bets are off.

That's the question, isn't it? There have been no reports of basij-like groups so far that I've seen, only regular riot police and military. And their loyalties are strained if asked to open fire on their own people. He'd be crazy to rely on them for an Iranian-style crackdown. But if forces similar to the basij were to appear on scene, I'd say all bets are off.

Before going offline, al Jazeera was reporting that some of the military was going with the people. More worrisome is that there were numerous reports that the regular police had shed their uniforms for civvies and were involved in much of the looting, with guns. Not good.

yup. to back track a moment I saw a blurb on cnn that said Mubarak had not shut down the cell phones and web himself, via a mechanism the gov. controlled but that Vodaphone and others had did so at his request, theres a difference .
Nopt much of one, given the nature of the system we support in Egypt

Forum List

Back