Easter Island Effect

wihosa

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2008
Easter Island in the South Pacific is well known for the many massive carved statue heads(moai) standing all around the island. Their origins have been much debated over the years with all sorts of theories including extra-terrestrial sculptors.

Scientific research has concluded that the statues are the work of the indigenous people. How were these statues constructed and moved? The Island today is mostly barren, covered with grass and only a few trees and with a very small population (less than 5,000). In the past however the island sustained a large population, probably in the tens of thousands, and was a verdant forested island. There were sufficient resources, both human and material, to acheive the construction and placement of the moai.

The scientific conclusion is that the island was deforested by the very large poulation and as a result the population the island could support was greatly reduced. In other words the people literally consumed themselves out of house and home.

Why did would they do this? The answer is because they didn't know they were doing it. It took place over the course of many generations, with each successive generation assuming that the state of their environment was as it had always been.

Why is this important? Because this is the very same condition the whole world is now in. Each successive generation not seeing much change in the environment assumes there is no problem.

The difference of course is that we now have science. We can measure the changes in the environment. We know what we are doing to our environment. The question now is, can we change our behavior or will the Earth fall prey to the 'Easter Island Effect'?

Unfortunetly, judging from the posts on this and other boards, I believe that we will see a worldwide "Collapse". One involving ecological, economic, and social systems. At one time, I thought that it would be well after my lifespan. Now, it is entirely possible, if I live to the norm within my family, that I will see a major portion of this collapse.

Easter Island in the South Pacific is well known for the many massive carved statue heads(moai) standing all around the island. Their origins have been much debated over the years with all sorts of theories including extra-terrestrial sculptors.

Scientific research has concluded that the statues are the work of the indigenous people. How were these statues constructed and moved? The Island today is mostly barren, covered with grass and only a few trees and with a very small population (less than 5,000). In the past however the island sustained a large population, probably in the tens of thousands, and was a verdant forested island. There were sufficient resources, both human and material, to acheive the construction and placement of the moai.

The scientific conclusion is that the island was deforested by the very large poulation and as a result the population the island could support was greatly reduced. In other words the people literally consumed themselves out of house and home.

Why did would they do this? The answer is because they didn't know they were doing it. It took place over the course of many generations, with each successive generation assuming that the state of their environment was as it had always been.

Why is this important? Because this is the very same condition the whole world is now in. Each successive generation not seeing much change in the environment assumes there is no problem.

The difference of course is that we now have science. We can measure the changes in the environment. We know what we are doing to our environment. The question now is, can we change our behavior or will the Earth fall prey to the 'Easter Island Effect'?

I don't wish to change the direction of your thread, but if you have an interest in Easter Island, I would recommend Thor Heyerdahl's book "AKU AKU." Fascinating.

Again with this comparing modern society to ancient cultures, and not very well either. Try harder, at least make it a challenge to debunk your crap.

I don't wish to change the direction of your thread, but if you have an interest in Easter Island, I would recommend Thor Heyerdahl's book "AKU AKU." Fascinating.

Excellant book. And one should follow it up with Jared Diamond's "Collapse".

Unfortunetly, judging from the posts on this and other boards, I believe that we will see a worldwide "Collapse". One involving ecological, economic, and social systems. At one time, I thought that it would be well after my lifespan. Now, it is entirely possible, if I live to the norm within my family, that I will see a major portion of this collapse.

Take a lot of video. It'll be good stuff

Considering nothing has really changed in the last 20 years, it's become routine.

Considering nothing has really changed in the last 20 years, it's become routine.

You really need to go outside sometime KK. Things really have changed in 2o years.

Most of the glaciers that I see in the North Cascades are smaller. The tree line has moved up as much as 500 ft in some places that I hike in the North Cascades. In the southern Blue Mountains of Oregon, most of the streams are much smaller in the fall than they were in my youth. Winters are shorter and less have less snow than 20 years ago. However, there are actually less people in many areas of Eastern Oregon than there were 20 years ago. In fact, some areas have nearly the same population as when I was a child.

In Western Washington and Western Oregon, there are far more housed in the rural areas than there used to be.

Since you are rather young, you have a small base to see change from. I have a base of over 60 clearly remembered years. From a nation of 150 million to a nation of 300 million. And in that period, I have seen some fantastic changes. Most memorable? Polio vaccine.

This response is EXACTLY the effect I'm talking about. "There isn't much noticable difference in my lifetime" is the Easter Island effect.

The difference now is that we have science which can measure and extrapolate change. We now know what we are doing. The question is can we prevent the normal human reaction of denial when confronted with problems of our own making.

Again with this comparing modern society to ancient cultures, and not very well either. Try harder, at least make it a challenge to debunk your crap.

This is an apt analogy. The earth is an island in space and we are on the same path that the ancient Easter Islanders went down.

By the way, exactly what do you think you have debunked? You haven't made a single point in challange.

This is an apt analogy. The earth is an island in space and we are on the same path that the ancient Easter Islanders went down.

By the way, exactly what do you think you have debunked? You haven't made a single point in challange.

Okay ... eve if what you contended was in fact true (still no hard evidence) ... we replant everything almost, except what's used for living space which is what is actually eating up land and laying it to waste. Just cutting down trees doesn't hurt, as long as they are replaced and allowed to grow. Not to mention the fact that trees are not the only resource we use, thanks to advances in science and technology we now use nearly 90% of what we take instead of the 20% comparable to back then. Really, there are a ton of other such differences you are ignoring.

Okay ... eve if what you contended was in fact true (still no hard evidence) ... we replant everything almost, except what's used for living space which is what is actually eating up land and laying it to waste. Just cutting down trees doesn't hurt, as long as they are replaced and allowed to grow. Not to mention the fact that trees are not the only resource we use, thanks to advances in science and technology we now use nearly 90% of what we take instead of the 20% comparable to back then. Really, there are a ton of other such differences you are ignoring.

Not wasting resources is a start but not nearly enough. We must reduce the quantity we use.

Replanting clear cut forests with single species tree farms is fine if your only concern is future lumber supplies but the loss of biodiversity is a huge problem. Life on Earth is an interconnected web which we are only beginning to unravel. We don't know what can be removed without harming other lifeforms.

As a side note, it is important to know that forests are not clear cut for lumber, only mature trees can be turned into lumber, all the rest that comes from clear cut is used to make paper pulp. A far more sustainable source of paper pulp would be hemp, but of course it is illegal because it is related to marajuana (essentially a different strain of the same plant). Building homes from lumber is sustainable as the average lifespan of a house approximates the replacement time of the trees cut for that lumber. Making paper from trees is not.

Sustainability is the key to changing our resource usage. All resource usage must in the future be done in a way which is demonstrably sustainable if we are to change our ways. This will mean a different lifestyle in which everyone doesn't have to own everything. One in which resource management is paramount and sharing of resource intensive products is encouraged.

Hi everyone.

Those interested in pursuing deeper and more thoroughly researched versions of some of the arguments in this thread may want to look into my book, Big Stone Head: Easter Island and Pop Culture.

The book doesn't deal exclusively with what the original poster of this thread calls The Easter Island Effect, but it is discussed in some detail within my text.

...and there are over 300 pretty pictures to look at!
;-)

The book is available exclusively at bigstonehead dot com (sorry, I can't post the URL yet).

thanks!

easter-1.jpg

Easter Island is far different from the Glob as an island for a variety of reasons.
The first is that the Island has a single "climate zone" so any change which alters conditions on the island have no variety of climate to mediate the effects.
The second is that the size of the island could support only a single society, which means that there was no Malthusian competition for resources between societies.
The third is that the human population was able to grow dense enough to outpace the ability of trees to grow, leading to a loss of the forestation, which in turn led to a loss of sustainable food production.

It is easy to look at Easter Island and generalize, but it is not really the Earth in microcosm.

Forum List

Back